Sewing Summer Clothes

Old June 22nd 13, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in SoCal

Default Sewing Summer Clothes

Steve,
See? I knew you'd be creative! I would never have thought of an etui! I've made many chicken pin cushions though. they're fun and fast, and of course the students can use them right away!
Enjoy! You're going to have a blast! I can just feel it!
Amy
Old June 22nd 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

A suggested QUICK project would be to sew a tote bag out of a purchased
place mat or dish towel where you sew 3 sides and attach straps cut from
webbing for a quick open tote bag ( for purse, books, gym, shopping, or just
about anything.)
A pull-over fleece top that is the same on both front & back with the edges
finished with a fancy machine stitch or a zig zag stitch (for stretch) to
add warmth during cool days, or out of a light weight knit material for the
summer (no facing needed.) I've seen something similar in expensive
clothing stores.
A fleece, no sew, neck scarf, 18" wide, to cover the head in case of rain,
cut fringe on the ends.
Index card size pin cushion of 2 color squares joined together, one color
for pins, the other for needles and safety pens. This is like mine and the
larger size makes it easier to find.
She wants to make a poncho to wear instead of coat. Maybe with a hood.
Barbara in SC thinking of quick items for DGD to sew

"Steven Cook"
I really am a bit excited about this. It will be out of the norm and
something new and fresh as I nearly end my career. I'm hoping it all goes
okay.

Like Bobbie had to do in college, I'm going to have the kids make a
portfolio notebook of all sorts of stuff. It will be desk/lecture stuff
that will get me through all of the drop and adds that happen during the
first two weeks. (Don't get me started on that fiasco.)

Besides the notebook, this is what I have planned as ideas so far:

Chicken pin cushion - for a pin cushion of their own and very basic sewing
techniques
Needle etui - for some hand work and embroidery skills and to hold their
needles. It looks like a small cottage.
Wash cloth baby bib - There is a "horsey" to cut out and clip and turn the
edge under before machine embroidering it on, along with the binding to
sew on.
Three Seam pillow case - For french seams and lining up fabric and a quick
and easy project. And the wow factor of how it turns out.
Duffle bag - Different fabric, thick woven handles to sew on, a zipper and
circles on the ends. I might take my embroider machine in to do their
initials.
Boxer shorts - more of a true pattern and sewing in elastic
Lounge pants - again the same pattern and making a draw string and a
button hole on the waist.
Vest - More of a fitted item, darts, "pockets", button holes, pattern, and
instead of using slippery fabric, use complimentary fabric so it could be
reversible.

That's where I'm at so far. Any other ideas to throw out there would be
most welcome. Remember, this is an introductory semester long class. I
will have the intro class the second semester, with new kids, but I could
possibly have a few Level II kids second semester as well and will need to
come up with some more complex patterns for them.

Always ideas, that is what is fun.

Steven
Alaska

"amy in SoCal" wrote in message
You'll be great at this class! You're so creative. I remember my
sewing/home-ec class. We had to choose a simple pattern, fabric, notions
and tools. The pattern had to include a zipper, curves, darts, at least
one pocket and one button or hook and eye. I think I still have the
pattern.
Let me (us) know if you need anything. I'm sure there are plenty of extras
laying around out here.
Good Luck! Have fun!

Old June 22nd 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

These ideas are wonderful. I think you've got it.
Gen

Old June 22nd 13, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:06:16 -0800, Steven Cook wrote:

Steven, on the offchance you get some guys in the class, I often use some of
the projects in Nancy Restuccia's book, "Hold it!" with guys.. tool rolls,
tote bags, duffles, fishing reel/camera lens bags, aka golf club covers*...
Here's her "classic open tote", so you can see what the instructions are
like: http://www.mckennalinn.com/Tote.pdf They're rated by difficulty
level, too.

*golf club covers often become a lesson in basic patternmaking using Kathleen
Fasanella's saran wrap pattern making methods.
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...king_method_1/
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...king_method_2/

Her zipper tutorials are very useful:
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/tutorials/ even if you have to make
changes to the standard home sewing pattern to use them. If you
don't, at least have them stabilize the zipper placket area with fusible
interfacing before doing the zipper.

I'd also point out Stuart's diagrams of zipper bags, down in the comments
section he http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...pered-pouch-1/

If you're doing an edge to edge lined vest, are you going to have them bag
it? It's so much easier than all the handwork involved if you don't.
And, like the enclosed seam pillowcase, it's pretty magic.

For basic guys' clothing patterns I still like KwikSew and Burda, but
Jalie has some good ones, too: http://www.jalie.com

Hats are another possibility for easy and susceptible to decoration and
small amounts of fabric. Polarfleece tends to hide all sorts of wobbly
stitching for beginners.

Kay
Old June 22nd 13, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"Gen" wrote in message
These ideas are wonderful. I think you've got it.
Gen

Thanks!
Barbara

Old June 23rd 13, 03:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Thanks everyone. So many ideas. I've copied them over to a word document
and filing it away and clicking on links.

You're all the best.

Steven
Alaska

"Steven Cook" wrote in message
mmunications...
Hi Amy

Old June 23rd 13, 10:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Thanks for posting these links!
Barbara

wrote:

[...]

OT--recycling clothes into new clothes jeanne-nzlstar* Quilting 3 September 24th 08 04:03 AM
New Sewing Patterns for Little Dog Clothes Site nopukkatukka Sewing 0 January 24th 07 04:12 AM
Doll clothes Qintes Yarn 21 January 30th 06 11:07 PM
Ot with official summer time declared , summer projevts come to mind. Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 12 April 2nd 05 10:35 PM
fs&fa FOR QUILT PIECING, Doll Clothes Piecing, Children Clothes Piecing – FINEST IRON AVAILABLE AT ANY PRICE! singer_fw_iron_lover Marketplace 1 August 9th 04 11:10 PM