Beaded cabochon

Old May 23rd 04, 11:55 PM
Helene

Default Beaded cabochon

Hi, I'm new to this group and VERY new to beading. I just beaded my first
item--a cabochon I made from polymer clay. I hope it's alright to ask a
question in this group. I glued the cabochon to interfacing and then added
two rows of beading and a ruffle. Now I'm wondering what I do with it to get
it to a pendant or pin stage. The interfacing is exposed on the back side.
How do I finish that off?

I have looked at so many pictures of work by members of this group, and all
I can say is WOW!!! Hope I can be there one day.

Helene

Old May 24th 04, 12:37 AM
Kyla

All my books say to use a piece of suede, leather, or an imitation of one of
the forementioned. I've been wanting to try beading a cab, but the only
cabs I have are ittybitty (though I do have a ton of polymer clay....). I
would love to see a pic of yours )

And, yes, it's almost a *requirement* that you ask questions here (so long
as they aren't "how to tie a square knot" ;o) LOL!!

--
Kyla

Old May 24th 04, 02:15 AM
Helene

Oh please, someone ask how to tie a square knot!! That would be the only
question I could answer!!! LOL

Thanks for your help Kyla. I will try to get some suede or at least that
faux suede. Guess you just glue it to the back, or should it be sewn on?

I wish I could show a picture, but I don't have a website. Guess I should
stop being so lazy and get one going.

Helene

. com...

Old May 24th 04, 02:18 AM
Helene

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:55:57 -0400, Helene wrote
(in message ):

Hi, I'm new to this group and VERY new to beading. I just beaded my

first
item--a cabochon I made from polymer clay. I hope it's alright to ask a
question in this group. I glued the cabochon to interfacing and then

added
two rows of beading and a ruffle. Now I'm wondering what I do with it to

get
it to a pendant or pin stage. The interfacing is exposed on the back

side.
How do I finish that off?

I have looked at so many pictures of work by members of this group, and

all
I can say is WOW!!! Hope I can be there one day.

The usual procedure is to cut a piece of thin leather or Ultrasuede

slightly
larger than the backing you need. Cut a slit to accomodate the

pin/pendant
finding. POut glue on the "wrong" side of the leather - I usually use

Quick
Grab, but E6000 would work well, too. Glue the leather in place, using

your
fingers to smooth any wrinkles and push the finding through the slit in

the
leather backing.

Wait until the glue is dry, usually 24 hours. Then, using sharp scissors

or
an Xacto knife, trim the excess leather backing.

BTW, Ultrasuede is incredibly expensive. Search Ebay for scrap packages

or
buy small pieces of thin leather at a fabric store. I bought a bag with

lots
of garment weight leather from www.homesew.com for about $4, which will

last
me through at least 50 cabochons.

Kathy N-V

Thanks Kathy, that is very helpful. I think I can actually do this. Can't
wait to get this made into a necklace and see how it looks. I'm heading for
ebay now, and I will check out the website you gave me also.

Helene

Old May 24th 04, 04:41 AM
roxan

The easiest way to put the suede or leather on the back is to first cut the
interfacing as close as you can without cutting the thread. Then trace
around the piece on the leather so that you don't have to cut it after you
glue it to the back of the piece. Next you should do a stand up bead stitch
around the edge to finish back to the front of the piece. If you have the
Bead & Button Dec issue 2003 you will find instructions on how to finish
around a cab.
Roxan

Old May 24th 04, 07:55 AM
KDK

Welcome Helene!

Questions are welcome! I know nothing about beadweaving, so I can't answer
your question (and I think Kathy N-V probably did a great job - all that
stuff is magic to me) just wanted to welcome you

Kathy K

Old May 24th 04, 12:24 PM
Beadbimbo

Welcome Helene! I don't know how to do them, but I think beaded cabs are
gorgeous! I hope you get it figured out and share a picture with us!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old May 24th 04, 04:09 PM
Helene

Thanks Jerri, I appreciate all the welcomes. As soon as I figure out how to
get a website, I will share a picture.

Helene

Old May 24th 04, 04:09 PM
Helene

Thanks Roxan, but I'm so new to beading I don't know what the stand up bead
stitch is. I will do a search for instructions or check out a book. I'm sure
I can find something. I don't get Bead & Button Magazine (yet), but maybe I
can find that issue on ebay.

I appreciate your help.

Helene