OT - Pronunciation of words

Old October 10th 05, 06:37 PM
spinninglilac

Lol all to do with accents I guess. could be
Al le min eye um......lol
cher
"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
"Els van Dam" wrote in message

Gemini, that is how I do pronouce it more or less as well A-lu-mi-ni-um.
Is that not also the correct spelling for this ore.

Els

Well Els, on my box of Reynolds Aluminum Foil it is spelled the way I just
spelled it... without the second "i". But after reading all the

I can see that it is spelled with the second "i" in England and Australia.
)

Peace!
Gemini

Old October 10th 05, 10:00 PM
Carey N.

"The YarnWright" wrote in message

"Carey N." wrote in message

"The YarnWright" wrote in message

how about an upsidedown ten ant?
jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez louise!
running and ducking
Noreen

That *might* be me while ROFLMAO ! ;-))
--
Carey in MA
(will be following Noreen when I regain my feet....)

Ok, we've heard of slum-lords, what about a slumtenant?
TIme to stop, I'm making myself sick from whooping laughter, Carey!
Hugs,
Noreen

My, you went in a different direction. My mind was looking at the
"ten-ant" part of the word, and wondering if any or all of the previously
mentioned were just about as popular *as* ten ants? ;-))
--
Carey (still giggling quite giddily....)

Old October 10th 05, 10:25 PM
Katherine

Of-ten.

Hugs,
Katherine

Norma Woods wrote:
ok, here's another one! Often. How do you pronounce it? Off-Ten, or
Offen? I was taught Off-en. But my daughter learned Off-ten in school.

Thank you, Christine, and all the rest of you who got into this
discussion. )

It all depends then on how you heard / learned the word while
growing up. I know in our house we always had Reynolds Aluminum
Foil, and we always said (and heard others in our area say)
A-loom-in-um. This was (aluminum) also the way we learned to spell
it at school. To each his/her own! ;o)

Oh, Norma... I had never actually even heard the word leftenant
until I saw a war movie and heard the British people saying it. I
had always heard lieutenant. Maybe my ears only hear(d) in
American when it came to some words? LOL

I know that I grew up spelling colour with a U in there, but
somewhere along the way in school I was taught that in the US they
don't put the U in the word. Now I spell it either way... but I
still spell it coloUr most times!

Peace!
Gemini
- differences make us unique and interesting. ;o)

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium
This will hopefully explain all, and to be honest I've never seen it
spelt without 2 i's, but when I read the Wikipedia article it all
became clear (ish!)
Love Christine

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra*
"i" in the
word, we just pronounce all the letters that are there. Aren't
all our
differences what make the world a more interesting place?
Love Christine

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you
say AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As a
Canadian,
I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM. We are also pronouncing
all the letters that are there, without the EE, which is the non
existant "i". Scratching my head. Can you help me understand?
(laugh) Shelagh

Old October 10th 05, 10:26 PM
Katherine

I think so, Gwen, since my father - who was definitely NOT an Aussie -
pronounced it the same way.

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine I would like to say that is a bit of the Aussie coming out
but I also think this is the Canadian way too is it not? God bless
Gwen

"Katherine" wrote in message
Shillelagh wrote:
"Norma Woods" wrote in message
. ..
When I was in school, we learned to spell it the English way. I
think it's spelled the American way, now? I always pronounced it
Al-u-min-ee-um in my mind to spell it out on paper. Same way we
learned the English pronunciation "lef-ten-ant" instead of
lieutenant.

That's another word that amazes me. How you get 'lef-ten-ant" out
of the spelling is a puzzle. I'm Canadian, and we usually stick
with English things, but to me on this word - it's LOO TEN ANT.
(shrug)

How do you get an "r" in "Colonel"??? Same thing. Oh, and my father,
sister, and son were all in the military and they all pronounced if
"leftenant".

Katherine

Old October 10th 05, 10:27 PM
Katherine

LOL Or of mother being stubborn. I remember years later, she refused to sing
"Adeste Fidelis" in English.

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine, a case of "mother know best " says i with a grin God
Bless Gwen

"Katherine" wrote in message
Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine once at towards the end of one of our USA ?Canada I found
myself saying "A-Loom-in-um" and figured it was time I went Home !!!
Here it is as mentioned "Al -you -min-ee.um"

LOL My mother and I had many "discussions" about that word. It was
not until I showed her how it was spelled in my Chemistry book that
she permitted me to pronounce it the "Canadian" way. Even then, she
continued to say it her way.

Katherine

Old October 10th 05, 10:27 PM
Katherine

Same in Newfoundland - a fishing province.

Katherine

The YarnWright wrote:
And NAVY terms:
Boatswain is pronounced Bosun,
Cockswain is pronounced Coxun.
JM2C,
Noreen

Yarn Forward wrote:
We many of these in Scotland.. one example being 'Milngavie'
pronounced 'Mulguy'

Or on England (and Canada) , Gloucester pronounced Gloster,
Leicester pronounced Lester, and Towcester pronounced Towster.

"Gunwale" is "gunnel".

Katherine

Old October 11th 05, 12:20 AM
MRH

"Katherine" wrote in message
LOL Or of mother being stubborn. I remember years later, she refused to
sing "Adeste Fidelis" in English.

I've always preferred it in Latin too. I miss when Mass used to be done in
Latin as well... it always seemed holier that way. Also, when we used to
have Midnight Mass in Latin on Christmas Eve, there were always more
non-Catholic people in the church than Catholics. ;o)

Peace!
Gemini

Old October 11th 05, 12:23 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Norma Woods wrote:
ok, here's another one! Often. How do you pronounce it? Off-Ten, or Offen?
I was taught Off-en. But my daughter learned Off-ten in school.

Off-en. It was always that way until somebody decided to go all "poetic"
about the time "correct spelling" was invented, and invented the spelling
with the "t" in it, back-formed from "oft". Then some people looked at
the spelling and began to pronounce it that way. One of the puns in
Gilbert and Sullivan depends on the off-en pronunciation.

=Tamar
Old October 11th 05, 12:25 AM
Katherine

MRH wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
LOL Or of mother being stubborn. I remember years later, she refused
to sing "Adeste Fidelis" in English.

I've always preferred it in Latin too. I miss when Mass used to be
done in Latin as well... it always seemed holier that way. Also,
when we used to have Midnight Mass in Latin on Christmas Eve, there
were always more non-Catholic people in the church than Catholics. ;o)

Really? Interesting.

Katherine

Old October 11th 05, 12:27 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Yarn Forward wrote:
Shillelagh wrote:

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you say
AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As a Canadian,
I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM.

For the benefit of the Canadians amongst us, Alcan, the Canadian
Aluminum company, and one of the largest producers of aluminum in the
world, was known legally as

Alcan AluminIUM Inc., until 2000 when it changed its name to Alcan Inc.

When in the UK, I always spelt it with IUM and this seems to be a commom
ending for chemical elements such as barium, cadmium, strontium, cesium,
.... What is "right" or "wrong" is a debate that can on for ever. The
English language evolves by usage, not by dictate, so the will of the
masses will eventually win out.

Scientific language is more or less dictated by the official bodies
in different countries and that is where the difference came from in
this case; the original discoverer's spelling was kept by the American
scientific community because the rule is that the first spelling is
what is used; the UK scientific community decided to make it "match"
some (though not all) of the other names of chemical elements, so they
added the "i". This is a genuine difference in official languages
and is not likely to evolve.

=Tamar