A very ambitous project for a very worthy person

Old April 8th 05, 07:43 AM
BEI Design

"Cynthia Spilsted" wrote in message
Wow!
I think that is a beautiful project for your daughter - and I'm sure
that
she will treasure both the quilt and the dedication of her mother!
Last 'quilt' I did was for my brother-in-law and I did it more for
closure
than any other reason. It is part of the Canadian Names Project now
and can
be seen with its section mates on-line he
http://www.quilt.ca/section_57.html

It's a little hard to make out all the names, is it the musical one
with cats? Very nice.

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old April 8th 05, 07:47 AM
BEI Design

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply"
wrote in message ...
I have been working on figuring out what kind of quilt to send my
daughter at college, and I'm just about ready to start working on it.

Here's a pic of the quilt pattern:

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~breynold/quilts/library.html

Wow, I've never had a yen to quilt, but that definitely makes me want
to give it a go.

Old April 8th 05, 08:02 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Melinda Meahan -
take out TRASH to reply of uttered

I see the same thing in home schooling. There are those people who
happen to be teaching their children at home, and there are those
people who eat, drink, sleep, walk, and live home schooling 24/7. I
sort of fall into the middle and can see both sides.

You mean you take home schooling seriously, but you all still have
lives? Sounds healthy enough to me.
--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
Old April 8th 05, 01:44 PM
Juno

It is so beautiful.. What a great thing to do for your daughter. She will
treasure it forever.
Juno

Old April 8th 05, 02:18 PM
CNYstitcher

I think it would be the "quilting mailing list people" as RCTQ people
share about nearly every aspect of their lives, not just
quilts....there's even a thread that has degenerated into "Bra
schnapps", but I htink it started with disheartening news about one
members HMO being a-holes about her MRI.

Now....I do look for possible quilt patterns, but it isn't an all
consuming hobby....if i notice something interesting, zI'll try to see
if it can be made into a quilt. Take the flooring I put down in the
kitchen/dining room...I wasn't looking for flooring that would make a
good pattern, I was looking for flooring that would look nice with the
cabinets and countertop. However, the more I look at it, the more it
screams for me to make a table runner to match it sigh.

Can't tell you how many quilts i have made, but none of them are "real"
looking...meaning that none have been made to look like other objects in
reality (like the bookshelf quilt). They have had nice patterns, decent
fabrics, and were made with love. That's pretty much all that matters
to me. As for having a life, with 2 children under 5, I take whatever
time they allow me...lol. WHen DS is in preschool and DD is napping, I
am pursuing my other interests (usually while laundry is going in the
other room). However, I have never stopped sewing (clothing, home dec),
cross-stitch (currently on hiatus as I have discovered another hobby),
knitting (new hobby), reading (lifelong passion), or getting in touch
with my friends (most are in MD or elsewhere..not many where we live now).

Okay, stopping for now as I have no clue if I made any sense or
not...need more coffee

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

Angrie.Woman wrote:

(notice how I am *not* posting this on RCTQ -- I make quilts but am
not a quilter, and I fully appreciate the difference)

Uh - what's the difference? You don't design your own, maybe?

I think the politically correct answer woudl be to go put your
flameproof suit on and ask at rec.crafts.textiles.quilting LOL. But "a
quilter" (according to the RCTQ folk, or maybe it was the quilting
mailing list folk) is someone whose life revolves around quilting --
you know the expression of a hammer that thinks everything is a nail?
Well, to a quilter, they look at everything and evaluate it by how it
could be used to make a quilt -- whether it's something that could be
used physically to make the quilt or something that would be a great
idea for a quilt, like a bookshelf. Now personally I think the book
shelf quilt is just too, too, but I never would have thought of it
myself. A quilter probably did. Anyway, I have a life and my main
passions in life fall outside of quilting, although I have made 8 or 9
quilts or so in my life so far (and have no time to make this one but I
have to -- the quilt I made her when she was a preschooler is too "real"
-- Velveteen Rabbit style -- to be able to use any more.

Old April 8th 05, 04:59 PM
Diana Curtis

Oh, I totally understand what youre saying now. Gotcha. You make quilts
when the spirit moves you but you dont feel compelled to make them, nor
do you dream of new designs, or copy floor tiles to file away as design
ideas later. There is nothing for us to argue about here. :-)
I think I must fall somewhere in the middle too, leaning towards the
fanatic, but not quite crossing that line.
Thank you for explaining what you meant. Youre right, Im not sure I
would make that same distinction but thats ok. I understand why you do now.
Diana

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Diana Curtis wrote:

I'm curious, too. Lots of quilters dont use their own patterns, so
that isnt likely the answer. I vote that anyone who makes a quilt, no
matter what methods they use to achieve that end is a quilter.

You are welcome to say that and I won't argue with you even though I may
disagree, but this was sort of an inside thing. A quilter the way I
used the term is someone who has a fervent passion for quilting.

IOW, someone can make one bird house but that doesn't make them a
carpenter, and carpenters come in all skill levels.

Old April 8th 05, 05:25 PM
Sewingsue

That is one I want to tackle someday.
I work in a library :-)
But I think you should consider posting in RCTQ. Yes there are some
incredible quilters there but my impression is that they are very welcoming
to beginners - and you don't sound like a beginner!

Sewingsue

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
I have been working on figuring out what kind of quilt to send my
daughter at college, and I'm just about ready to start working on it.

Here's a pic of the quilt pattern:

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~breynold/quilts/library.html

(My daughter is a bookworm extraordinaire if this didn't make you
suspect that already)

And here's the fabric I just bought on Ebay to make the books with:

It's going to be wonderful! Now if only I can manage to get it made
before Christmas! If not, I have a few more years to get it done.

I wanted to make her the pattern called, "Comforts of Home," but it's a
scrap quilt and I don't have enough nice material to make it with
(notice how I am *not* posting this on RCTQ -- I make quilts but am not
a quilter, and I fully appreciate the difference) and I gave up the idea
until I came across the pattern for the 3rd or 4th time. If I am
systematic about it, I should get it done.

Old April 8th 05, 05:43 PM

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

You mean you take home schooling seriously, but you all still have
lives? Sounds healthy enough to me.

Yeah. Such a radial idea, huh?

There is currently a discussion on my favorite HSing mailing list to
basically evangelize our communities for HSing. Well, I honestly
believe that the only way HSing will be successful is when the parent
believes it is the best educational option for their child, and if they
aren't convinced of that it won't work. So I guess I'm a renegade.

Although to be honest, some families do HS so their children can have a
life -- my 13YO spends 10 hours a week at the gym taking classes judo,
tae kwan do, gymnastics, speed and agility training, and/or weight
training, and he would never be able to do that if he was in school
until 3 and then had to come home and do homework for 3 hours a day.
Old April 8th 05, 05:43 PM

Diana Curtis wrote:

Thank you for explaining what you meant. Youre right, Im not sure I
would make that same distinction but thats ok. I understand why you do now.

I wasn't the original person to make that distinction. I was only
paying homage to it.
Old April 8th 05, 05:47 PM

CNYstitcher wrote:
I think it would be the "quilting mailing list people" as RCTQ people
share about nearly every aspect of their lives, not just
quilts....

What I meant was that I didn't remember if I first heard the distinction
of what constitutes that definition of "a quilter" on the mailing list
or on the newsgroup.

I loved the fiber arts mailing lists I was on when I first got on the
internet. I remember the very-proliferative knitting mailing list where
lots of the members were also spinners, and there was this one story a
lady told about buying a fleece from someone in the UK, I think it was
-- a very small fleece that had belonged to a lamb who had died young,
and the lady was very loath to part with her last remembrance of that
poor, poor little lamb. The lady took the fleece home and spun it very
fine to make a knitted-lace shawl that was so fine she could pass it
through her wedding ring. Then after she was done, she went back to the
home of the lady she had bought the fleece from to show her what an
object of beauty she had created out of that fleece, and the lady was so
happy that she cried. It was almost as if it was a fitting tribute to a
young life lost too soon.