OT Sweet QI in failing health

Old February 17th 05, 01:52 AM
AliceW

Default OT Sweet QI in failing health

Well, just got back from the vets with my sweet Miss Paisley. She has been
getting more frail with each passing month. She started having seizure-like
episodes last fall which scares the bejesus out of us. She could be just
standing and all of a sudden she just topples over onto her side, legs
straight out, stiff as a board. She comes out of it in a minute or so, but
it is really scary. We knew she had heart issues which they found during
her last check-up at the vets, but this was new. She's lost about 3 pounds
although she eats good. She drinks almost constantly, which means she pees
almost constantly. They wanted a urine sample at the vets and I said "No
problem, just wait a few minutes!" and sure enough, put her on the floor
and, voila, a urine sample. The tech said she normally has to follow them
around for a while before she can collect a decent sample. She was pleased
that Paisley was so cooperative. Drawing blood took forever! They couldn't
get a vein and of course, Paisley wasn't going to give it willingly! They
finally got a decent sample. From what the vet said, she suspects diabetes
but also thinks there could be a brain lesion that is causing the seizures.
There are meds for both, of course, but I have to wait until Friday for the
lab results to come back. Paisley is 14 years old which is pretty good for
a Westie from what I have been told. She is basically blind and almost deaf
as well. But she is still a sweetie! I'm not going to dwell on it yet, I
need to get the diagnosis first. But I am prepared for the worst.
Hopefully, whatever it is, it won't cause her pain. She is such a good dog
and I have no idea how Kirby will handle not having her around if it comes
to that. He has never been without her and he won't even go out in the yard
without her. Ok, I know, I shouldn't get myself worked up until I know
more. I will just have to wait a few days. Is it Friday yet?
--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old February 17th 05, 02:34 AM
nana2b

HI Alice, This is the harderst part of pet ownership. I hope the diagnoses
is something that can be handled with meds. Westies are prone to Diabetes.
I know several people whose Westies developed it in old age. It can be
managed with food and insulin. Prayers for Paisley and you too.
Hugs,Linda in Tx

Old February 17th 05, 02:50 AM
Polly Esther

Keep breathing, Alice. Stay calm. Twelve is not really that old for a
terrier. When you have the test results, the right diet and medication may
let you have your little darling for years. You won't have to worry about
Paisley sneaking off to Krispy Kreme Donuts and thwart your careful diet and
you will know that she's taking her medicine. Well, maybe, if you wrap it in
something really good. Friday is almost here. Polly

Old February 17th 05, 02:55 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"AliceW" wrote:

Well, just got back from the vets with my sweet Miss Paisley.

Alice, I'm sorry to hear about Miss Paisley. As far as the seizures go,
Tuppence has had that problem almost since puppyhood, and they are
controllable. Just be sure that they also give you something to control
incontinence, since the anti-seizure meds tend to make bladder control
difficult -- something you're already dealing with. I hope you can keep
Miss P as comfortable as possible and get some more quality time with
her.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old February 17th 05, 06:30 AM
Mystified One

So sorry to hear this.

My mom had a cat that died from a mammary gland tumor. I never understood
why, but she would not take that poor girl to the vet for euthanization for
anything. She'd moan and cry all night. She'd lost so much weight, I was
amazed at how she still had the energy to love us the way she did. By the
time it was over, she was bone thin and the tumor was as big as my fist.

I never understood why my mom wouldn't let her go. I promised myself that
when the time is right for any of my pets I'll say goodbye and let them go
peacefully, instead of letting them suffer out the last of their days like
that. It's the least I can do for the love they show me.

I pray the time isn't right for you, but if it is, I pray for your courage.

Old February 17th 05, 11:03 AM
georg

AliceW wrote:

From what the vet said, she suspects diabetes
but also thinks there could be a brain lesion that is causing the seizures.
There are meds for both, of course,

I've had a cat with seizures, and my sister had a cat that lived for
many years with diabetes (on insulin injections).

Both conditions can be taken care of, so hopefully you have a while
longer with Miss Paisley.

-georg
Old February 17th 05, 11:37 AM
AliceW

Thanks, Polly. I am hoping she does well on the meds. I lost my last
Westie (Brandy) at 10 but she had a lung disease. Paisley just turned 14
and I am hoping to have her around for some years to come.

I may get stoned for saying this, but we don't like Krispy Kreme Donuts in
our household. Gimme a Dunkin Donuts jelly donut any day!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/RCTQ/index.htm (add a recipe)
"Just as you began to feel that you could make good use of time, there was
no time left to you.."
Lisa Alther

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
: Keep breathing, Alice. Stay calm. Twelve is not really that old for a
: terrier. When you have the test results, the right diet and medication may
: let you have your little darling for years. You won't have to worry about
: Paisley sneaking off to Krispy Kreme Donuts and thwart your careful diet
and
: you will know that she's taking her medicine. Well, maybe, if you wrap it
in
: something really good. Friday is almost here. Polly
:
:
: "AliceW" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: --

Old February 17th 05, 11:41 AM
AliceW

I made that mistake once with one of our cats. I knew she was suffering
from liver disease and thought I would wake up one morning and find her on
her bed after passing away during the night. But, she ended up with a very
painful seizure on Christmas eve and we had to take her to an emergency vet
hospital to ease her pain. I won't make that mistake again, but I want to
make sure I make the right decision when the right time comes.
--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/RCTQ/index.htm (add a recipe)
"Just as you began to feel that you could make good use of time, there was
no time left to you.."
Lisa Alther

"Mystified One" wrote in message
: So sorry to hear this.
:
[...]
: ...

Old February 17th 05, 11:47 AM
AliceW

I just hope I can handle giving her shots - I hate needles, can't give
blood, faint away at the site of them.

Old February 17th 05, 11:52 AM
Debi Matlack

Big hugs for you and Miss Paisley. As long as she's happy, let her be happy.
Medications could give her a good bit more quality time with you. Keep us
posted!
--
Debi

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?