Any reliable sewing machine recommendations?

Old April 12th 05, 02:50 AM
daf

Default Any reliable sewing machine recommendations?

I am looking to buy a basic sewing machine that will last for a long
long time, more than 20 years. I don't do quilting, no embroidery,
don't sew much, don't need fancy features. Just need a reliable
machine to do some clothes mending, curtains, cushions, etc. The must
have features (other than standard straight, zig zag, reverse...) I'm
looking for are
1 buttonholes
2 some overlock stitches that prevent cut fabric edges from fraying
3 blind stitch
4 decent sewing with various fabric materials and thickness (chiffon,
denim, heavy wool, fleece...)

If money is not a concern, which brands and models do you recommend?
If budget minded, then which brands and models do you recommend?

Thanks,
Daphne

Old April 12th 05, 08:09 AM
BEI Design

daf wrote:
I am looking to buy a basic sewing machine that will last for a
long long time, more than 20 years. I don't do quilting, no
embroidery, don't sew much, don't need fancy features. Just
need a reliable machine to do some clothes mending, curtains,
cushions, etc. The must have features (other than standard
straight, zig zag, reverse...) I'm looking for are
1 buttonholes
2 some overlock stitches that prevent cut fabric edges from
fraying 3 blind stitch
4 decent sewing with various fabric materials and thickness
(chiffon, denim, heavy wool, fleece...)

Have you looked yet at the FAQ Penny posts from time-to-time:

"There is a "what machine should I buy" FAQ.
www.cet.com/~pennys/faq/smfaq.htm "

You might also search groups-google for the archives of this and other
sewing newsgroups.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...0&scoring =d&

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...005&safe= off

Bottom line is, none of us can make that decision for you. Test the
types of things you are likely to be sewing on several different
brands. I personally still use the Singer 401A I bought *new* in
1961. A good older used machine will be probably be better then a
cheap new one.

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old April 12th 05, 01:48 PM
John

I was faced with the same choice a few years ago when my old machine
gave up the ghost. After looking at all the machines that were
available locally from Bernina to Singer, I chose a Mechanical Janome
with a multitude of stitches and no electronics other than the foot
pedal. I reasoned that I didn't need most of the features that were
available on the computer driven machines and I have been proven right
in that my needs have been satisfied. The newer mechanical machines are
so far superior to those that were available 20-30 years ago, when it
comes to stitch control, and number of stitches available on a basic
machine, that based on your stated requirements, there might not be the
need to spend money on something that is more complex. If on the other
hand you envision progressing beyond the basic sewing skills then,
thinking in the long term might be better.

Old April 21st 05, 08:54 PM
Limara

On 11 Apr 2005 18:50:32 -0700, "daf" wrote:
Have a look at the Janome 2522 LE or the new Janome Easy Jeans22 Both
machines are very reliable, I have seen my dealer demonstrate them
going through several thickness of fabric, even a tick leather belt.
They are reliable and my dealer supplies thois machine to all the
local schools in our area, and they stand the abuse the kids put them
through.
Both machines are little over £200 in the UK

FAQ for RCTQ frood Quilting 9 April 5th 05 07:50 PM
FAQ, QOM, QuiltPro questions. Betsy Ross Quilting 9 March 23rd 05 04:39 PM
Yet Another Sewing Machine Question Eli Quilting 16 February 29th 04 02:01 AM
Recommendations for sewing machine repairer in Melbourne, Australia Catherine Donaldson Quilting 6 December 8th 03 08:21 PM