how do you learn to embellish?

Old April 24th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default how do you learn to embellish?

Hi all,

After going to the quilt show yesterday, it reiterated that I want to
raise my creative senses to include embellishments. I've been buying
them over the last couple of months but I haven't used any of them yet
on a project. How did/do you learn to embellish your wall hangings or
quilted items and take them to a different level? What are your
sources? What books have you bought? Which fiber artists do you
emulate? Do you use Angelina Fibers? Do you couch threads, yarns, and
new materials? Do you use found items?

Help!

Renee

Old April 24th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hey Renee, just go with what feels right. If you think a block or Wall
Hanging needs something extra to jazz it up, experiment. Pin a fabric flower
to it, or a ribbon or lay some buttons out on it to see the effect , then
just do it. Start attaching those embellishments - whatever they are and
wherever you found them. No rules just play.
Heather in West Oz

oups.com...

Old April 24th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Wow! what an all-embracing question!
I can hardly wait to read the answers - not that I want to do it, but I
love soaking up information on all sides of P&Q.
..
In message .com, Wren
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 24th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Renee, my biggest problem is that you actually have to FINISH something
before you can embellish it!

I took a class on this last month from Linda Potter. She has a book, "Quilt
and Embellish in one Step", which is really good.

I am like you. I love all the stuff, just don't really know where to start.
One thing I am plotting is to use a fabric that has a strong motif. One of
the things Linda showed was to outline and even fill in some of the design
elements on a fabric. For instance, on one of the samples she brought with
her, the fabric had a pheasant on it. She filled in the pheasant with bugle
beads and seed beads and sequins, etc. It was gorgeous. Paisley figures
were another that she outlined with beads. Flowers on fabric would be cool
to embellish. She uses a long stitch to quilt and she uses beads with this
process as well.

I am seeing more and more books out there on embellishment. Keep after it,
because it is sure beautiful.

Cindy

Old April 24th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 23 Apr 2006 17:18:20 -0700, "Wren" wrote:

Hi all,

After going to the quilt show yesterday, it reiterated that I want to
raise my creative senses to include embellishments. I've been buying
them over the last couple of months but I haven't used any of them yet
on a project. How did/do you learn to embellish your wall hangings or
quilted items and take them to a different level? What are your
sources? What books have you bought? Which fiber artists do you
emulate? Do you use Angelina Fibers? Do you couch threads, yarns, and
new materials? Do you use found items?

Help!

Renee

The only time I've used embellishments on a quilt they were part of
the overall design. I used a swizzle stick for a sailboat mast, and
a toothpick and fishing line for a tiny fishing pole and line on my
tropical fish wall hanging. I couched those found objects on by hand.
I have also made some quilt blocks with purchased buttons added to
them.

I have rarely had to purchase embellishments other than buttons. What
kind of things do you want to learn how to use?

A lot of the other folks here have done more embellishing than I have
done. Go to Google and check out the old messages about quilted post
cards. Some of the people have been making postcards to practice
using embellishments because the cards are small so they are easy to
work on and don't cost a fortune even if you go wild and cover the
whole surface with embellishments. Evidently the folks making post
cards are so busy making cards that they haven't noticed your
question.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

@@@@GET MORE CHICKS............LEARN GUITAR............. Expert Humor Beads 0 March 31st 06 03:41 PM
@@@@GET MORE CHICKS............LEARN GUITAR............. Expert Humor Yarn 0 March 31st 06 06:36 AM
New and wanting to learn Sagoya Beads 7 February 12th 05 04:44 PM
AD-Ceramic Classes and Workshops Craft Students League, NYC Pottery 0 August 5th 04 07:09 PM
AD: ongoing Pottery/Ceramics courses - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Pottery 0 February 26th 04 09:43 PM