Revive a dead dinner bell!??

Old May 12th 05, 01:07 AM
Andy

Default Revive a dead dinner bell!??

I have an old, very ornately painted (glazed) dinner bell my Mom made
probably 70 years ago or more.

When I was a kid, it had a beautiful ring to it but haven't heard it
since. Currently it has a sad "tink" sound to it.

The inside "dinger" is not glazed and I don't know how to tell if it's
been fired.

It's about 4 inches tall and it's bottom diameter is about 3 inches. It's
walls are probably 3/16 inches thick.

I can see the glaze is very discolored probably by kitchen oils, etc.
over time and I'm guessing this is what deadened the ring.

Is there any way to put this little dinner bell back to work?

Many thanks,

Andy

P.S. If it rings again, I'll post a quicktime (movie) of it on my website
upon request. --A

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
Old May 12th 05, 02:17 AM

i'd leave it as is, put away somewhere safe. it has it's story & grew
older & more quiet like most of us.

but unless you know the clay body - high temp or low temp - or the
finish, enamel or glaze, you don't know if a re-fire will fix or erase
everything.

see ya

steve

Old May 12th 05, 04:40 PM
Bubbles

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
I have an old, very ornately painted (glazed) dinner bell my Mom made
probably 70 years ago or more.

When I was a kid, it had a beautiful ring to it but haven't heard it
since. Currently it has a sad "tink" sound to it.

The inside "dinger" is not glazed and I don't know how to tell if it's
been fired.

It's about 4 inches tall and it's bottom diameter is about 3 inches. It's
walls are probably 3/16 inches thick.

I can see the glaze is very discolored probably by kitchen oils, etc.
over time and I'm guessing this is what deadened the ring.

Is there any way to put this little dinner bell back to work?

Have you checked for cracks in the ringer and the bell? I would think that
would have an effect on the sound.

Marianne

Old May 12th 05, 07:51 PM
Andy

"Bubbles" wrote in
:

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
I have an old, very ornately painted (glazed) dinner bell my Mom made
probably 70 years ago or more.

When I was a kid, it had a beautiful ring to it but haven't heard it
since. Currently it has a sad "tink" sound to it.

The inside "dinger" is not glazed and I don't know how to tell if
it's been fired.

It's about 4 inches tall and it's bottom diameter is about 3 inches.
It's walls are probably 3/16 inches thick.

I can see the glaze is very discolored probably by kitchen oils, etc.
over time and I'm guessing this is what deadened the ring.

Is there any way to put this little dinner bell back to work?

Have you checked for cracks in the ringer and the bell? I would think
that would have an effect on the sound.

Marianne

Marianne,

I just checked with the naked eye and fingers. The eye's can't tell and
it's too rough for the fingers to tell.

Thanks,

Andy

Old May 12th 05, 09:24 PM
annemarie

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
"Bubbles" wrote in
:

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
[...]

I agree with both Steve and Marianne. Its probably cracked, but its worth
keeping just the way it is. If you try to refire it you will almost
certainly damage it. I think just value it for its history )
Annemarie

Old May 13th 05, 12:07 AM
Andy

"annemarie" wrote in
:

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
"Bubbles" wrote in
:

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
[...]

OK, but OT, is there some connection between Marianne and Annemarie? The
co-incidence is hard not to notice.

Thank you for your advice,

Andy

Old May 13th 05, 10:41 PM
annemarie

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
"annemarie" wrote in
:

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
"Bubbles" wrote in
:

"Andy" wrote in message
6...
[...]

None what so ever ) I didn't even notice, I just don't think about them
being basically the same except reversed. I live in New Zealand and I think
(correct me if I'm wrong) Marianne lives in the USA.
Cheers
Annemarie

Old May 14th 05, 01:44 AM
Andy

"annemarie" wrote in
:

OK, but OT, is there some connection between Marianne and Annemarie?
The co-incidence is hard not to notice.

Thank you for your advice,

Andy

None what so ever ) I didn't even notice, I just don't think about
them being basically the same except reversed. I live in New Zealand
and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Marianne lives in the USA.
Cheers
Annemarie

Annemarie,

Thanks to you and everybody who helped me out.

I'm going to leave the bell as is but keep it on display.

If anybody asks me about pottery, ceramics, clay, etc., I'll send them to
this newsgroup.

All the best,

Andy
Philadelphia, PA
Old May 14th 05, 01:53 AM
Bubbles

"annemarie" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
6...

OK, but OT, is there some connection between Marianne and Annemarie? The
co-incidence is hard not to notice.

Thank you for your advice,

Andy

None what so ever ) I didn't even notice, I just don't think about them
being basically the same except reversed. I live in New Zealand and I
think (correct me if I'm wrong) Marianne lives in the USA.

Hehe! Anne and Marie are common names in so many languages, it is definitely
just a coincidence!

And - sorry, Annemarie - I am in Switzerland, but Norwegian. I have never
lived in USA, but have lived in Canada for a lovely 9 years - once upon a
time :-)

Marianne

Old May 14th 05, 05:11 AM
annemarie

"Bubbles" wrote in message

"annemarie" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
6...

OK, but OT, is there some connection between Marianne and Annemarie? The
co-incidence is hard not to notice.

Thank you for your advice,

Andy

None what so ever ) I didn't even notice, I just don't think about
them being basically the same except reversed. I live in New Zealand and
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Marianne lives in the USA.

Hehe! Anne and Marie are common names in so many languages, it is
definitely just a coincidence!

And - sorry, Annemarie - I am in Switzerland, but Norwegian. I have never
lived in USA, but have lived in Canada for a lovely 9 years - once upon a
time :-)

Marianne

Oh sorry, wrong assumption. Your english is very good. Annemarie and
Marianne etc are common names and in many language you are quite right.
My niece is living in Canada at the moment and really enjoying it. She has
met a lovely man too which is making the place even more attractive. )
I can see its getting time again when we all give a brief bio of ourselves.
Its interesting.
Annemarie