translating patterns

Old August 29th 05, 05:15 PM
Kristine

Default translating patterns

Hello,
I know a few basic words in German and have printed out a couple lists
of knitting words translated into German. I bought a couple of pattern
books and want to translate them. Is the best way to write the
translation on a seperate sheet of paper or to write the word in the
pattern itself. Thanks.
Kristine

Old August 29th 05, 05:41 PM
DA

"Kristine" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I know a few basic words in German and have printed out a couple lists
of knitting words translated into German. I bought a couple of pattern
books and want to translate them. Is the best way to write the
translation on a seperate sheet of paper or to write the word in the
pattern itself. Thanks.
Kristine

When I was doing French patterns, I bought an inexpensive piece of software
that translated from French to English, and printed the patterns. This way
you can just keep the pattern with the book from which it came.
DA

Old August 29th 05, 07:23 PM
Maggie

I'm having the same German to English issue.......what softwear did you
use???? Thanks, Maggie

--

"You know that place between sleep and awake? Where you still remember
dreaming? That's where I will always love you." -- Tinkerbelle

Old August 29th 05, 08:47 PM
DA

"Maggie" wrote in message
I'm having the same German to English issue.......what softwear did you
use???? Thanks, Maggie

It was years ago and I don't remember the name of the software, but I think
that I picked it up at an office supply store like Office Depot. You may
want to try something like this.
http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/getrans.html
DA

Old August 29th 05, 09:08 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Kristine ,, if you want to translate them for personal use , it is ok
, if you want to sell this translations , please don`t forget to
contact the publisher and ask for permission. Some give it even if it
for a local cahrity etc..]
The book The Illustrated Dictionary of Knitting , by Rae Compton , has
on page 138 , A Geramn -English translation listy of terms [ as wel
as Italian -English and French -English].
It is good Knowing Basic German, but remember to consult a dictionary
, otherwise you might have some unwanted surprises ...
If you translate all the patternd type on separeate page if only a few
you can do it on the side ,,,
mirjam

Old August 30th 05, 12:38 AM
Els van Dam

In article eVGQe.21311$hp.2708@lakeread08, "DA" wrote:

"Kristine" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I know a few basic words in German and have printed out a couple lists
of knitting words translated into German. I bought a couple of pattern
books and want to translate them. Is the best way to write the
translation on a seperate sheet of paper or to write the word in the
pattern itself. Thanks.
Kristine

When I was doing French patterns, I bought an inexpensive piece of software
that translated from French to English, and printed the patterns. This way
you can just keep the pattern with the book from which it came.
DA

Now that sounds really practical.

Els
Old August 30th 05, 01:03 AM
DA

When I was doing French patterns, I bought an inexpensive piece of
software
that translated from French to English, and printed the patterns. This
way
you can just keep the pattern with the book from which it came.
DA

Now that sounds really practical.

Els

Thanks Els, I think that you must be the first person who ever thought that
I was practical.
DA

Old August 30th 05, 03:40 AM
Kristine

I am only doing it for myself because some of the patterns are really
cool. Yes I know about the unwanted suprises. I am taking a basic
German class right now. I love Germany. I am thinking about extending
my tour here for another 3 years.
Kristine

Old August 30th 05, 03:48 AM
Mystified One

Join the German-American friendship club and see if any of the ladies in the
club knit. I'd use their advice if I could. Coming back to the states
makes it harder to find the friend you'll need.

ups.com...

Old August 30th 05, 04:22 AM
DA

"Kristine" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am only doing it for myself because some of the patterns are really
cool. Yes I know about the unwanted suprises. I am taking a basic
German class right now. I love Germany. I am thinking about extending
my tour here for another 3 years.
Kristine

Kristine, Check around the base and see if any of the personnel are
bi-lingual. I had a friend who was stationed in Germany and she spoke/read
German. If there is a public affairs officer, the people who work for
him/her should be able to give you a hand.
DA

List of Free Patterns Lucille Yarn 4 August 22nd 05 12:41 PM
FS/giveaway: Crochet (mostly) books & patterns Joan Erickson Marketplace 2 October 9th 04 09:56 PM
Question regarding printed patterns Frosty772 Sewing 1 May 10th 04 09:35 PM
XS patterns for swap or sale Ruthie Marketplace 2 February 19th 04 11:49 PM
FA: 60s and 70s Patterns rick etter Marketplace 0 January 29th 04 07:37 AM