KoolAid dye question...

Old October 26th 03, 12:08 AM
Karen

Oh, it is very lovely yarn -- that's why I'm afraid to dye it in case I mess
it up!

That's cool that there is a yarn called Labrador -- I haven't found one
called Minnesota yet.

"Katherine Burgess" wrote in message
That is so nice! I think I will look into ordering some.
Thanks again.
Katherine

"Karen" wrote in message

http://www.straw.com/cpy/yarns/labrador.html

http://www.straw.com/cpy/yarns/yarn_...-labrador.html

Not sure why it's called Labrador -- it's Australian wool.

"Katherine Burgess" wrote in message
Karen,
What is "Crystal Palace Labrador"???? I think I should get some!
Katherine (in Labrador!)

Old October 26th 03, 01:17 AM
Katherine Burgess

I think I will try to order some of the colours - depending on the price, of
course!
TTFN
Katherine

Old October 27th 03, 06:57 PM
Agres

As Slinky told me, start with small samples of a few feet of yarn, and keep
records of what you are doing. Track amount of dye/ yarn, time,
temperature, and etc. Then, if something goes wrong, you have only ruined a
few feet of yarn.

It is worth the time to do several trials. It is like knitting swatches -
in the long run, it saves time.

I must thank Slinky again for her detailed advice. She is truly a credit to
her creed.

Aaron

"Karen" wrote in message
I'm ready to try it, I think. I have some skeins of undyed Crystal Palace
Labrador -- I have some Koolaid -- I have some vinegar -- I have a very
large stainless steel pot --

I have no courage. LOL! I'm a little afraid of screwing it up and
ruining good yarn. Maybe later today . . .

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
Not YET, Karen!
Our Els suggested I spin first, THEN learn to dye!
Good advice.
Hugs,
Noreen

"Karen" wrote in message
Noreen, did you try it yet?

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in

message
t...
OK, so what's the recipe for dying yarn using KoolAid?
TIA,
Noreen

--
STRIP *tease* to email me.

---

Old November 8th 03, 06:21 PM

Hi,

There is a whole page of tips on dyeing with KoolAid here
http://www.straw.com/cpy/wisdom/koolaid.html

As long as you don't shock the Labrador with sudden temp change (ie.
hot to cold) and don't agitate too much while in the pot - you'll be
fine.

Take the temperature up gradually and lower gradually.

rinse gently

roll in big bath towel to dry.

SCD

Old November 9th 03, 04:26 PM
Karen

Thanks for the link!!!

I still haven't tried it. Now I'm waiting to find a very large stainless
steel pot so that I don't have to use my cooking ones -- even if it is
Koolaid, I'm not comfortable with using the pot for food after dying --
Koolaid is okay, but I have no idea what is in the wool, it smells a little
funky (lanolin, I assume).

Old November 9th 03, 05:13 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 10:26:05 -0600, "Karen" wrote:

Thanks for the link!!!

I still haven't tried it. Now I'm waiting to find a very large stainless
steel pot so that I don't have to use my cooking ones -- even if it is
Koolaid, I'm not comfortable with using the pot for food after dying --
Koolaid is okay, but I have no idea what is in the wool, it smells a little
funky (lanolin, I assume).

Enameled pots such as black granite ware are also good as dye pots and tend
to be less expensive for the same size ranges than stainless.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/