Need help with making pro wrestling gear

Old June 18th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
seventhtribe

Default Need help with making pro wrestling gear

seventhtribe had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/textiles/Nee...gear-2587-.htm
:
Hey if anyone is looking for a custom designed wrestling gear, check
out MARTIN Wear. I think the website is www.martinwear.com and they
work here in the states, but they send all their stuff out to Mexico
to be handstitched and custom worked. Really cool stuff, my brother
got his gear through them and its great material. Check them out,
their prices are good and they really will work with you, they really
know their stuff.

Seth wrote:

I have been a pro wrestler for the past 10 years and have decided
rather than relying on others to make my gear (costumes) for me, I
would like to make my own. I have done research on the internet
concerning sewing lyrca/spandex, stretch velvet. Most of the
information pertains to costuming, swimwear and dancewear. I understand
that to do this correctly, a serger should be used for the seams and a
zig zag stitch for everywhere else. I was going to just buy Brother
sewing machine and serger for Wal-Mart. I am having difficulty in
finding patterns for singlets sometimes referred to as unitards.
QwickSew seems to be the only one that has patterns for lycra tank
tops, bike shorts, tights etc. I guess you could piece together the
tank top and bike shorts and make a singlet pattern. I have also read I
could trace my existing gear and make patterns out of that. Getting the
people that make this type of gear/costumes to talk to you about how to
do it is near impossible as their is a huge call for the stuff and few
people that make QUALITY gear. So they aren't ready to give up any
secrets of where they get their material or how they work their magic.
The best gearmaker in the world has an 11 month wait to have anything
made. I would much rather be able to make my own creations so they fit
perfect and look exaclty like I want them too rather than wait months
to get something that doesn't fit or isn't exactly as I wanted. So I
guess I am looking to those that know sewing to answer what machines I
need and wear I can get patterns. Also are there any place to be taught
or books that show you how to sew this type of garment? Most
seamstresses I have asked that can make wedding gowns and anything else
won't even consider making me any gear. They take a look at what I have
now and say they couldn't do it so now I want to give it a try. If
anyone needs examples of what I am looking to make, I can post various
websites for gearmakers. Thanks in advance for any help.

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing - 3865 messages and counting!