Knitting a Patch

Old April 3rd 14, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

Default Knitting a Patch

On Monday, March 10, 2014 8:43:49 PM UTC+2, Shirley wrote:
Shirley , somehow i managed to save and keep several hunks of darning wool .... i now use them for embroidery and making tiny threads .
mirjam
Old April 3rd 14, 06:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley

On 03/04/2014 05:38, mirjam wrote:
On Monday, March 10, 2014 8:43:49 PM UTC+2, Shirley wrote:
Shirley , somehow i managed to save and keep several hunks of darning wool .... i now use them for embroidery and making tiny threads .
mirjam

Nice to hear from you Mirjam. I have one or two cards of darning wool on
cards that was in my mothers work basket. These came after the war but
sometimes the thread breaks as it is so old.
Hugs
Shirley

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old April 3rd 14, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Danny Breidenbach

My favorite line: "Nothing is as easy as it looks." I love how it just sits there being subtly provocative but with no explanation or elaboration.

Also, I love how the group's responses have taught me why socks often have different colored toes & heels. Funny how manufacturers make them that way on purpose now, with no connection to the idea of repairing (mending).

I love learning this sort of historical trivia.
Old April 5th 14, 10:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

There are so many different ways of darning a sock. Duplicate stitching is definitely one of them and makes a beautiful darn that is almost invisible. So, Godwin is doing it right. You might want to ask this question on Knitting Paradise, a knitting and crochet forum. It's http://knittingparadise.com.

I JUST discovered your books and have been having a delightful time reading them. I'm up to number 3!
Old April 10th 14, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:22:33 PM UTC+3, Danny Breidenbach wrote:
Hallo Danny , i forgot to tell that sometimes my mother used to add another thread only to the heel part of the sock ,, to strengthen it from the begining .

if you like reading Historical tyrivia [of knotting] here are books i recommend

Socks & Stockings, By Jeremy Farrell, B.T.Batsford Limited London , 1992

Stockings & suspenders , a Quick Flash, by Rosemary Hawthorne, Souvenir Press 1993.

A History of Hand knitting, by Richard Rutt, Interweave Press, Loveland Colorado, 1987.
mirjam

I love learning this sort of historical trivia.

Old July 8th 14, 06:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jane[_2_]

I have 2 darning eggs that belonged to my Grandmother, and have used them
to do quick repairs on small holes in the toes of my socks-faster than
going to the store for new ones. She taught me the weaving type of darn.

1 With the egg in the sock sew a rectangle around the hole. Use the egg to
keep the shape of the heel or toe.
2 Sew a few small stitches from your anchor stitching to where the hole
starts, then a long stitch to the other side of the hole, then small
stitches to the anchor stitching. Make a horizontal line for each row of
knitting. Use the egg to keep the shape rounded
3 Do vertical rows starting & ending the same way & weaving the threads
over the hole.

My darning eggs have handles on them that were used to stretch fingers of
gloves to darn them.

"Monica Ferris" wrote in message
I know this isn't a knitting forum, but I'm hoping some of you can help me.
My editor insisted I change the name of the next Betsy Devonshire book,
which I was calling The Needle Case. After some toing and froing we came up
with Darned If You Do. It's cute but now I have to add a scene where a sock
gets darned. I've been looking at tutorials on the 'Net, and have written
what I think is an accurate description. If you are interested, please read
this and let me know if it's okay. Let me know if I'm stepping way out of
line with this. If not, thank you very, very much!

Betsy went back to Crewel World to find Godwin deeply immersed in teaching a
young woman to darn a hand knit sock. It looked like a sock from one of his
knitting classes.

The sock, a bright orange with small black diamonds, was bulging smoothly
over a small hole in the heel.

Ah, he's using a darning egg, thought Betsy. The smooth wooden implements
came in various sizes and shapes - some more like a computer mouse than an
egg. It was generally the truly egg-shaped that had handles on them. They
slipped inside socks or the arms and even the backs of sweaters that had
worn or torn a hole in themselves. It made mending them easier by freeing
both hands for the work and by preventing the stitcher from stitching the
front onto the back.
There's something satisfying about mending a hand made garment, she thought.
Ours is a throw-away society, it's good to push back against that once in
awhile.

Godwin did not glance up. He had threaded a darning needle appropriate to
the thickness of the yarn used to knit the stocking. The yarn he was
threading was a bright orange to match the area where a hole had worn
through.

"And now I take some of the leftover yarn from your stocking, which you
wisely kept per my advice, and note I cut a length of it longer than you
might think you'll need, because it's ever so easy to cut the extra off than
try to pick up and continue with a new length."

"Okay," she said, nodding.

Without changing tone or looking around, Godwin said, "Hello, Betsy.
Valentina called, she's going to stop by in a little while. Now, have you
done duplicate stitch before?"

The young woman said, doubtfully, "I've looked at it on the Internet, and so
I understand the theory of it, but I've never tried it. Is it as easy as it
looks?"

"Nothing is as easy as it looks. So okay, before I start, you knitted this
sock using four double ended needles, and there's a way to patch this hole
using them, size double zero. Would you rather do that?"

The young woman rested her chin and cheek in the palm of her hand, while she
thought, but then said, "I don't know. I mean, I really don't know. Which
do you prefer?"

"Honestly? I like duplicate stitch if the place is only worn thin. If
there's an actual hole, then I like darning with double zero needles."

"Fine." She turned to Betsy. "I'll take a set of double zeros, please."

"That's great, Molly." Betsy brought a packaged set of four to the desk.
Molly opened the package and gave the needles to Godwin.

He took one and said, "First, find the first row below the hole that has no
damage. You're looking for strong, solid stitching." He pointed the row
out and began carefully working across the row, starting about half an inch
to one side of the hole, lifting a single stitch and running the needle
through it. He continued across the row to half an inch the other side of
the hole. "See?" he said.

"Gotcha," Molly replied.

"Now, from the farthest left hand picked-up stitch, run up that column with
another needle, picking up each stitch, beside the hole to a solid row above
it." He did so, his fingers moving nimbly, while she watched.

"You do that so smoothly," she said.

"Lots of experience," he said. "I'm always wearing a hole in my socks,
though it's usually at the toe." He leaned a little sideways and murmured,
"I have such sharp toenails."

Molly giggled.

"Now, run the third needle up the right side, same as you do on the left.
At this point you've got that old hole practically surrounded."

"Except at the top," Molly pointed out.

"Yes, well, we'll take care of that as we approach. So, you take your
fourth needle, and a matching yarn, or some left over from the sock lesson,
and you verrrry carefully pick up that first stitch on the bottom row and
the first stitch on the right vertical row, and you knit the two of them
together with the strand of yarn. Like so."

He deftly picked up the stitches onto the free needle and knit them into the
strand of yarn. "Now, continue across that row to the other side."
In a few minutes he said, "And now we turn and purl our way back, picking up
that first stitch from the vertical needles, so we're tacking it down on
either side. You see? We're knitting a patch over the hole."

"Well, isn't that clever!"

"Yes, it is." Godwin purled his way back, then handed over the sock with
its needles. "Here, you knit a row while I watch."

Molly set out, moving slowly as she felt her way into the knitting. "I'm
not used to such tiny needles," she said. "But look, it's coming along."

She purled the next row, this time without her tongue sticking out of the
corner of her mouth, her movement quicker and smoother. "Wow," she said.
"This isn't hard at all!"

"Tol'ja," said Godwin. "As you get near the top, pull the bottom needle out
and thread it across the top, then knit the last row onto it."

"Yeah, yeah, that makes sense."

"So now you know you don't have to throw away a pair of socks you worked so
hard making just because you blew a hole in one of them. Come back in the
fall, I'm teaching a class on duplicate stitching which you can use to
prevent a weak spot in a sock or sweater or hat from turning into a hole."

"All right, I will. Thanks, Goddy!"

B-N-Patch Complete Patti Quilting 49 December 8th 08 11:41 PM
attaching a fabric patch to knitting? myswendy Yarn 7 January 23rd 08 06:40 AM
Need patch like this... Flaviuzz Needlework 4 November 10th 06 10:15 AM
9 patch help Mike G Quilting 6 October 29th 04 10:48 PM
Four patch pattern Sindir Quilting 3 September 9th 04 03:17 PM