HELP!!! CAN'T RAISE BOBBIN THREAD

Old March 16th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
kater2345

Default HELP!!! CAN'T RAISE BOBBIN THREAD

I have tried everything short of standing on my head and still can't
get the bobbin thread to raise. I have changed my needle, adjusted the
top thread tension both ways, re-threaded the machine many times,
changed bobbins and rethreaded it twice, and read the book cover to
cover.
any suggestions would be very helpful. I have a brand new (only used
once before now) Singer Inspiration 4220/4228. please help asap!!!!

-------------------------------------

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing - 3303 messages and counting!
Old March 16th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
kater2345

kater2345 had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/textiles/Re-...READ-3487-.htm
:

Trish Brown wrote:

kater2345 wrote:

I have tried everything short of standing on my head and still
can't
get the bobbin thread to raise. I have changed my needle,
adjusted the
top thread tension both ways, re-threaded the machine many times,
changed bobbins and rethreaded it twice, and read the book cover
cover.
any suggestions would be very helpful. I have a brand new (only
used
once before now) Singer Inspiration 4220/4228. please help
asap!!!!

-------------------------------------

Short of there being a mechanical problem with your machine, I can only

suggest that you make sure the two tails of thread are about four
inches
long and *hang onto them* while you lower and raise the presser foot.
Perhaps they're getting pulled down into the bobbin case?

If that doesn't help, then post again and describe exactly what happens

when you try to raise the bobbin thread. Someone here will be able to
help. ;-D

-------------------------------------

well I finally got the bobbin thread to raise by pressing the foot peddle
for about a second and that finally produced the loop and allowed me to
finish what I was working on. but now I have another question: do you
think something is wrong with the timing?? I received this as a Christmas
gift, of course still in the box and have only used it once before last
night. any suggestion??

Old March 16th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Trish Brown

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old March 17th 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Trish Brown

Trish Brown wrote:

kater2345 wrote:
[...]

You shouldn't need to press on the foot pedal. Raising the bobbin thread
should happen as you gently turn the flywheel a turn or two
(needle-down, needle-up) while holding the end of the needle thread.
(Sorry: you don't hold onto *two* threads as I said earlier, you hold
onto the *one* that comes from the needle, drawing it between the 'toes'
of the presser foot and hanging onto its end as the needle goes down and
then up).

NB. The flywheel is the big one at the upper right hand end of the machine

I'd hope there's nothing wrong with the timing of your machine. You'd
have to be pretty unlucky for that to have happened. Maybe you've made a
small error in threading? Did you wind your bobbin as per instructions?
Have you got just a short length of bobbin thread sticking out? (2"-4")

Most new machines come with complimentary lessons. Why don't you contact
your local Singer centre and see what they're prepared to offer you? If
nothing else, surely a kindly shop assistant will show you how to thread
the machine correctly and get started. Most sewing folk are really
helpful in that way. I'm not familiar with your machine model (my own
Singer is hitting forty years old - euwww!), but most problems are
common to all machines. Keep trying! The mistakes we make at the
beginning are the best lessons we learn! :-D

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old March 17th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ron Anderson

om...

Trish Brown wrote:

kater2345 wrote:

[...]

Would not be timing if it sewed once you got it up. Sounds like poor
technique to me.