Advice for a rookie carver

Old September 22nd 05, 01:58 PM

I agree with previous post and suggstion on buying beginner carving
set. Don't buy a beginner set or a set at all. Buy a good quality 2 -3
chisels at first.one staright and another one or two rounded chisel and
add as your experience and interest grows. A set usually cheaper than
individual chisels will contail some chisels you will probably never
use. A good quality chisel will keep it's sharpness better than cheaper
one and a sharp chisel makes a world of difference in amount of work
and quality of the carving. I like Pfeil and flex - cut chisels. Can't
go wrong with those. Stubai are most expensive and worth every penny
but for a beginner I would not recommend it unless money is not an
problem.
Get 2 -3 chisels for starters a good mallet a strop and strop abrasive
and go make some wood chips!!!!!

Old September 22nd 05, 02:02 PM

I'm not a fan of Mr. Butz I found his books to leave a lot of steps out
for a beginner carver. I tried one or two of his books when I started
to carve . His books look like step by step but found them missing
several steps here and there. But that's just my experience which I'm
passing onto another beginner.