Mary Pulver Bread

Old December 18th 03, 12:33 PM
BDS2pds

Default Mary Pulver Bread

If you are out there Mary, I am once againing making your delicious Austrian
bread for the holidays. Everyone loves it and it would not be Christmas
without it! My goodness how many years ago you posted it!!!
Old December 18th 03, 04:45 PM
MaryPulver

Yes, I'm here. Not posting or even reading as often as usual, but I'm here. I
had two friends over to bake the Vanocka and we had the most nearly perfect day
anyone could have. Everyone had a task that was important to the completion of
the bread, and we ate one whole (small) loaf hot from the oven with raspberry
tea and played with my Fontanini Nativity set then I drove them home to see an
enormous orange moon coming up over a curving road set with streetlights, each
with a still-warm loaf tucked into a bag. Lovely!

Mary Monica
aka Monica Ferris

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, nobody knows what
they are. -Somerset Maugham
Old December 20th 03, 11:26 AM
Poetta

I agree ... PLEASE REPOST!!! I'd love to see and possibly make the
recipe too!

On 18 Dec 2003 12:33:50 GMT, (BDS2pds) wrote:

If you are out there Mary, I am once againing making your delicious Austrian
bread for the holidays. Everyone loves it and it would not be Christmas
without it! My goodness how many years ago you posted it!!!

Jennifer / Poetta

www.LadybugLane.com

Old December 20th 03, 03:17 PM
Rosemary

That sounds like something to be used in a book.....

Rosemary
Old December 24th 03, 01:45 AM
MaryPulver

Gosh, I've been busy for the past few days and haven't been reading rctn. So,
here it is, late. Hope someone can use it:
AUSTRIAN VANOCKA
Makes three round loaves

2 packages dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
3/4 cup warm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 stick butter, melted
3 beaten eggs
2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp nutmeg
3 tbsp grated orange rind*
1 cup each, light & dark raisins
1 cup slivered almonds
6 - 7 cups flour

In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add the milk and sugar
and let stand 5 mins or until the surface becomes foamy. Stir in the salt,
butter, eggs, nutmeg, orange peel, almond extract, and 3 cups of flour. Beat
until very smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 to 8 minutes while
adding the raisins and almonds a little at a time until thoroughly
incorporated. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and turn it to coat
the entire surface. Cover the bowl with a towel or wax paper, set in a warm,
quiet place, and allow the dough to rise until doubled, about one hour.
(Optional: Meanwhile, make a glaze of one egg, lightly beaten, and two tbsp.
sugar.) Turn the risen dough onto a lightly floured board and divide it into
thirds. (If you like: Divide each third into thirds and, with your hands, roll
each piece into a rope about 20 inches long. Braid the ropes.) Put the
longest braid onto a lightly greased baking sheet. If you're glazing , brush
on glaze. Let rise again about an hour. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven
for 45 mins to an hour, or until it sounds hollow when tapped. (Another
option: While still hot, rub the crust with butter to soften it.)

*Take two large or three small oranges and rub the orange off (leave the white
rind) on a grater.

NOTE: The second time I baked this, I doubled the recipe and made six small
round loaves -- delicious! The third time I baked this, I didn't braid it in
three layers, as called for, but made two loaves of single layers braided.
NOTE: Glaze makes a very small difference.

NOTE: Follow directions carefully, including kneading and baking time; it makes
a difference!