Day 2 & monthly blocks

Old January 5th 04, 01:06 AM
cozy

Default Day 2 & monthly blocks

This is Day 2 of my 'feeling dangerous' effort to rejoin the quilt world.
Today we got some storage units and I took the tall tower plastic drawer
thing into the 'dreaded' room. There are lots of bags and boxes and
stacks of all kinds of things in there. I started in one corner and went
thru sorting some stuff. Filled a whole bag of garbage that was just junk
that had been thrown into, waiting to get the time to look thru it to see if
it was junk - it was. That got me down to 2 large storage tubs that had
been covered over and also to the top of the book shelf behind them. I
now have access to my many quilt books, and also found something that
pertains to a recent subject BLOCKS OF THE MONTH. I found the stack of
Block of the Month quilt calendars that I used to get once a year. Most of
them are from Oxmoor House, but there are a few that I saw at the store and
just picked up, even if it was the same year I had another calendar for
already. I also found, in the same stack (same theme, I guess) the only
2 block of the month books that I can remember ever buying, so I must have
REALLY loved the samples. I mean, I usually would buy something like
this whenever I'd be at a quilt show or store and they had one made up and I
was insane for it. They a
"SAMPLER PLUS" - Honey Bee Publications #HBP01
QUILT BLOCK PARTY, Series 1 from Quilt in a Day, 1988 Eleanor Burns
I'm going to spend some time studying this stack of patterns and
enjoying the colors and wonders of them.
ANTIQUE QUILT UPDATE: I noticed one of the blocks still has a length of
thread hanging from the block I stopped on! Now all I need is to find the
box with my thimbles and needles! Not yet.....

Old January 5th 04, 01:18 AM
Diana Curtis

Gosh, to end the suspense Id be willing to send you a threaded needle...
just to get you going again!
Hugs,
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

m...

Old January 5th 04, 01:24 AM
cozy

ah, but it won't be the same as 'fighting for it'!
and actually, the room is so bad that I'd feel guilty using my new found
energy to play without working on the room. It's heartbreaking for me to
see it in such a sad state, it was once such a wonderful place to be in for
me. Somehow, it's all one part, putting it in order and putting the quilt
pieces in order, part of the same puzzle and satisfaction of feeling it all
coming together again
when I find that box with my tried and true faithful thimbles that have
been shut in the dark for years, waiting for the lid to open, and get those
needles out, it will indeed be a day of success and achievement, for more
than one reason - WOW! I'M FEELING PUMPED - WOO HOO! GO ME! (ha, ha,
you'd have to know how wimpy I usually am to appreciate how great it feels
to be feeling better and be able to even WANT to do these things again!)

Diana Curtis wrote in message
Gosh, to end the suspense Id be willing to send you a threaded needle...
just to get you going again!
Hugs,
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

m...

Old January 5th 04, 01:34 AM
Sherry Starr

You are making progress. I cleaned out my sewing/grandkids room. I have
gone through every drawer, all my notebooks that have patterns I have
purchased and patterns I have taken out of magazines and copied off the
computer. I filled 2 garbage sacks, and 2 sacks for Salvation Army. I also
cleaned out my stuff from our darkroom. That is included in the garbage and
Salvation Army sacks. I will now start on going thru the grandkids stuff.
They have outgrown most of the things I have here for them. They live in
Florida, and they aren't here that often. That means more space for me
VBG
The only problem is that I really like the way the room looks, and I hate to
start sewing in it again!
Sherry Starr
m...

Old January 5th 04, 01:38 AM
Diana Curtis

Ahhh..so it is the journey and not the destination alone that you are
savoring. I do understand. .. and I am enjoying hearing about this journey.
It sounds similar to paths I have taken myself. Do enjoy every step forward
and I will stand here and applaud.. and look for purples.
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"cozy" wrote in message
m...
[...]

m...

Old January 5th 04, 02:54 AM
cozy

Exactly, it's like the Holy Grail by now....
It's 9:44pm and I've just returned and showered from another 'attack' on
the evil that presides in my craft room. I can't believe all the things
I've found - so fun to remember, it's almost like I'm someone else going
thru my own stash going "ohhhh... ahhhhh, I'd forgotten about this! I'm
turning up lots of UFOs that I'd forgotten and trying to round them all into
the same area. I also found _3_ paper grocery sacks of leftover fabrics
pieces. Some are ends of bolts rolled up pieces bought at fabric stores,
some are leftovers that I muts have purchased at other places.... they look
like things are cut out from them, and I have the leftover fabric - all
quilt worthy cottons. (I knew what I was looking for). Things I also
found besides, UFOs galore and the 3 bags of fabric pieces:
- one of those 'watch bands' that has a magnetic face for putting pins on.
- 2 quilting heart stencils - this is what I used to make my heart block I
was trying to remember when someone was talking about hearts. Just traced
the heart stencil and used it for the applique heart pattern.
- 3 different sizes of those grids that you lay on fabric and trace the
lines and then sew between the lines... or on the lines... can't remember
and when you cut them apart, you have the automatic 2 triagle square.
- 1 million hankerchieves that I collected for the someday handkerchief
quilt!
- the 12" felt board that I used to put block pieces on, and the plexiglass
cover that allowed me to just pick it up and go and my pieces never flew
off. (Nosegay block still on there... waiting)
- 2 large cutting mats
- 12" square up
- small table top (placemat size) ironing pad for classes.
- needles and thimbles... still trapped and awaiting rescue!

Diana Curtis wrote in message
Ahhh..so it is the journey and not the destination alone that you are
savoring. I do understand. .. and I am enjoying hearing about this

journey.
It sounds similar to paths I have taken myself. Do enjoy every step

forward
and I will stand here and applaud.. and look for purples.
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"cozy" wrote in message
m...
[...]

m...

Old January 5th 04, 03:01 AM
cozy

I can remember, so many years ago, sitting at the table in the craft room
and using a large gridded paper and rulers and a compass, making my own
patterns... it was such a great feeling, I felt so smart and crafty. Oh,
it's great to get it clean and then when you start your project, you won't
be fighting all the junk from 20 other things all stacked up and junk that
got dumped. Maybe it gets stacked up when being used if there is a lot of
different projects going on. In the last few years, I started
scrapbooking and loved it because, in a way it was so much like quilting to
me. You picked out these wonderful patterned papers and made the accents
and brought the design together. Only it was something small enough that I
could actually accomplish it. Once I get the horrid junk gone, this will
be the other problem, I now have LOADS of true things that I bought for
quilting _and_ scrapbooking and they both want the table and storage spaces!
I'm not sweating that one yet, because it's going to take awhile just to get
to the bottom of the junk, so I'll keep focus on what I'm doing.
When you start your next project, it's going to feel so good in your
nice clean room!

Sherry Starr wrote in message
You are making progress. I cleaned out my sewing/grandkids room. I have
gone through every drawer, all my notebooks that have patterns I have
purchased and patterns I have taken out of magazines and copied off the
computer. I filled 2 garbage sacks, and 2 sacks for Salvation Army. I

also
cleaned out my stuff from our darkroom. That is included in the garbage

and
Salvation Army sacks. I will now start on going thru the grandkids stuff.
They have outgrown most of the things I have here for them. They live in
Florida, and they aren't here that often. That means more space for me
VBG
The only problem is that I really like the way the room looks, and I hate

start sewing in it again!
Sherry Starr
m...

Old January 5th 04, 08:00 AM
Patti

Hullo Cozy
This is a very exciting and stimulating thread - for many more than just
you, now!!
I can hardly wait until the next instalment - and am really on
tenterhooks waiting to see if you'll find your thimble box today,
tomorrow .. the next day ...
Keep going, it's going to be a wonderful feeling when you've finished
and can start 'making' again.
..
In article , cozy
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 5th 04, 12:52 PM
Roberta Zollner

Cozy, best of luck with your journey! Meanwhile, you inspired me to
rearrange my sewing rooms. I consolidated the machine table into the middle
room and turned it sideways to the sit-down cutting table, so I can look at
a window instead of a wall, and the big table can take the weight of a quilt
behind the machine.
The #3 room now contains a comfy sofa, the design wall, and the computer.
The #1 room, always a bit messy, got tidied so it's a fit residence for my
princess, the Featherweight.
Roberta in D

"cozy" wrote in message
m...
[...]

"cozy" wrote in message
m...
[...]

m...

Old January 5th 04, 02:38 PM
cozy

Patti - if you could see the _mountain_ of stuff that is blocking me from
the table and even covering the sewing machine completely over .... hmmmm..
well at least that's one thing that won't have an inch of dust on it!
Well, it's quite awful, I'm tired from all I did yesterday, but feel really
good. I let myself wind down last night, studying the patterns in those
calendars and monthly block books. And even more happy and smug the
feeling - when I get ready to put them _back_, I can actually reach the spot
and easily set them down. It's a feeling of knowing you are doing it
right, instead of like a kid with no sense or care. I'm loving it.

Patti wrote in message
Hullo Cozy
This is a very exciting and stimulating thread - for many more than just
you, now!!
I can hardly wait until the next instalment - and am really on
tenterhooks waiting to see if you'll find your thimble box today,
tomorrow .. the next day ...
Keep going, it's going to be a wonderful feeling when you've finished
and can start 'making' again.
.
In article , cozy
writes