Quilt Retreat Question

Old February 20th 12, 06:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Default Quilt Retreat Question

Hi All

Honest answer needed.

The secretary at work, the one that I love to death and is an obsessive
quilter like me, goes to two quilt retreats a year. One in October and one
in February. They are four days long from Thursday through Sunday. They
rent a bible camp, stay in the dorms, each has a six foot folding table in
the dining commons, get two meals a day, etc. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Guess where she is this weekend?

Anyway, she said that I just HAD to go next year.

So, here is the question(s). Should I go and would you ladies be tweaked if
a guy was at your quilt retreat. I know that you ladies, and I totally
can't blame you, love to have your time away too, from us guys, and I
wouldn't want to encroach on anything.

What say you. She was going to ask around this time as I was really
insistant that she ask. She and her four friends wouldn't be, but . . .

Steven
Alaska

Old February 20th 12, 07:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 20-02-2012 07:00, Steven Cook skrev:
[...]

I for one would not mind one bit! In fact, in groups I much prefer
mix-gender, just more fun! Don't get me wrong, love hanging with a
girlfriend or two too :-)

I'm assuming there are facilities to accommodate a male dorm room?

Then again, I studied computer science, and for fun I'm a boy scout
leader, so maybe you don't want to listen too closely to me on something
like this :-)

Hanne in DK
Old February 20th 12, 09:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Hi Steven,

If I was physically able to go to the retreat that you would like to go to,
I would be thrilled to meet you in person.
I so love your work - and the mere fact that you are male would not make me
not want to go.
I think you might be able to show them a thing or too, I think your work is
that good.

Go, and enjoy yourself.

Di
Victoria, Australia
mmunications...

Old February 20th 12, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Steven, I taught quilting for about 7 years and only had a man sign up
for classes one time. Now, keep in mind this is a small rather
'backward' town and nearly all my students were 60+-ish
ladies. ;-) The man only attended the first of 13 classes, kept
himself apart, didn't participate much and made himself seem
'different' from The Gals even tho I made an effort to draw him into
the class, conversations, etc. I do not see you acting that way at
all, but rather see you joining in with enthusiasm and sharing your
considerable talents and becoming one of the group. With an attitude
like that- as long as the gals don't have to bunk with you- I think
you would be a great asset to the retreat! Go with your heart after
you hear what your friend gets from the other quilting gals. I
sincerely hope you can go with a happy attitude knowing you'll be
accepted as 'just another quilter' and have a blast at next year's
retreat.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 20th 12, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

You know how it goes at parties after a while? The fellows will all be out
on the deck bragging about the fish they caught and wailing about the high
price of tires, the ladies will be gathered around the kitchen table just
having 'girl' time? Well. Here's how it is with Mr. Esther. He'll be with
the girls.
First time, about 50 years ago, we were at a class reunion at the Moose
Lodge. There he was right in the middle of the female huddle; quite welcome
and very much at ease. I'm confident that he could integrate a quilt retreat
just as happily. Our superior court judge was the same. If the girls needed
a refresher course over at the college, we made sure he was part of the
flock.
I'm with Leslie. I'll bet you have a blast. Polly

Old February 20th 12, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:00:29 -0900, "Steven Cook"
wrote:

[...]

I agree with everyone else who has responded so far. Quilt retreats
are for quilters. I go to retreat from people who don't get it. And
I go to retreat with people who do get it.
Hopefully she will come back with the thumbs up so you can start
planning how many projects to take (more that you think because you
won't be interrupted as often).

Mary
Old February 20th 12, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AllisonH

I think that the most important qualification for a quilt retreat is
that you love to quilt! Since you have that there shouldn't be a
problem! Have fun
Allison

Old February 20th 12, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

If you're taking a poll, I wouldn't mind at all. never met a quilter I
didn't like!
Roberta in D

Old February 20th 12, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

It is kind of tough to guess what an assortment of gals might think.
Since you were invited I would assume that you are welcome though.
If the response from her inquiries are positive than I say go for it. I
think
if they are negative I wouldn't waste my time with them.
I surely wouldn't mind and think most of us would enjoy your company.

Taria

Old February 20th 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Of course you should be welcomed at the retreat. It's for quilters -
not female quilters or red hat lady quilters or whatever specific group.
As long as you are there to quilt and can stand to listen to some of the
women whine about menopause you should have a grand time.

marcella

Quilt Retreat Kate T. Quilting 6 September 9th 07 04:01 AM
Retreat question? Julia in MN Quilting 28 March 17th 07 07:43 AM
Quilt retreat question Kathy Applebaum Quilting 9 January 7th 06 01:57 AM
What to take to a quilt retreat? [email protected] Quilting 30 October 21st 05 08:00 PM
New Quilt Retreat Mardi Quilting 0 June 10th 04 12:05 AM