Glass tiles -- How to cut & smooth the edges

Old October 8th 04, 03:04 PM
Lee R Willis

Default Glass tiles -- How to cut & smooth the edges

Hi All,

We're using glass tiles as part of our bathroom. (e.g. see
http://www.walkerzanger.com/wzproduc...spa.asp?page=5)

The tiles have nice, smooth rounded edges. But in places where a whole tile
won't fit, I need to cut the tile. I have a special glass-cutting blade for
our tile saw, but this still leaves a sharp, rough edge. What's the best
way to smooth the cut edge? I'm considering either sanding it, or heating
it.

Thanks for any advice!
Lee

Old October 8th 04, 03:39 PM
Moonraker

"Lee R Willis" wrote in message
Hi All,

We're using glass tiles as part of our bathroom. (e.g. see
http://www.walkerzanger.com/wzproduc...spa.asp?page=5)

The tiles have nice, smooth rounded edges. But in places where a whole

tile
won't fit, I need to cut the tile. I have a special glass-cutting blade

for
our tile saw, but this still leaves a sharp, rough edge. What's the best
way to smooth the cut edge? I'm considering either sanding it, or heating
it.

Thanks for any advice!
Lee

What little experience I have with tiling has taught me to lay out the
project so that cut edges fall in corners or are covered by outlet covers,
etc. Grout covers a multitude of mistakes.....

Old October 8th 04, 04:13 PM
Charles Spitzer

"Lee R Willis" wrote in message
Hi All,

We're using glass tiles as part of our bathroom. (e.g. see
http://www.walkerzanger.com/wzproduc...spa.asp?page=5)

The tiles have nice, smooth rounded edges. But in places where a whole
tile won't fit, I need to cut the tile. I have a special glass-cutting
blade for our tile saw, but this still leaves a sharp, rough edge. What's
the best way to smooth the cut edge? I'm considering either sanding it,
or heating it.

Thanks for any advice!
Lee

you can't get back to a smooth and rounded edge without putting them in a
kiln.

you can minimize chipping on cut edges by using a good blade that's designed
for cutting glass (a lot of tile blades aren't). putting a section of
newspaper under the tile when you're cutting it on a tile saw will minimize
chipping on the bottom edge. go slowly, and the top surface chipping can be
minimized somewhat.

you can polish the edges using a wet belt sander. a window glass shop may
have one and do this for you, or try to find a glass kiln worker in your
area who may have one.

Old October 8th 04, 04:19 PM
Lee R Willis

Most of our cut edges will be hidden this way.

But there are 4 cuts that I can't hide.

Old October 9th 04, 01:33 AM
jk

"Lee R Willis" wrote in message
Hi All,

We're using glass tiles as part of our bathroom. (e.g. see
http://www.walkerzanger.com/wzproduc...spa.asp?page=5)

The tiles have nice, smooth rounded edges. But in places where a whole

tile
won't fit, I need to cut the tile. I have a special glass-cutting blade

for
our tile saw, but this still leaves a sharp, rough edge. What's the best
way to smooth the cut edge? I'm considering either sanding it, or heating
it.

Thanks for any advice!
Lee

I have a huge wet belt sander that would do the trick. Maybe you have a
local glass shop that can do it for you?

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old October 9th 04, 06:26 PM
Baswolfe

The wet sander will do much more. But if all you want to do is make it so the
cut edge is not sharp, you can do it by hand with a carborundum stone.

John Bassett