Which glue for glass tiles?

Old April 9th 04, 04:18 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Which glue for glass tiles?

Hi all,
My mini-mosaic (3/8" square) tiles arrived by UPS this morning, and
now I can start on the bathroom floor. They are beautiful.

So, what glue do I use to stick the tiles to a posterboard backing?

Elmer's Glue all or Tacky Glue?

Cathy Weeks
Old April 10th 04, 10:33 AM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,
My mini-mosaic (3/8" square) tiles arrived by UPS this morning, and
now I can start on the bathroom floor. They are beautiful.

So, what glue do I use to stick the tiles to a posterboard backing?

Elmer's Glue all or Tacky Glue?

Cathy Weeks

I'm not sure that I would put the tiles on posterboard. I think I mentioned
in a precious post that I had used an acrylic sheet as a backing for tiles.
It's stiffer than poster board and doesn't absorb the glue. I got the
sheets at a railroad hobby shop although the crafts stores may carry it. I
used Elmer's glue.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old April 11th 04, 04:12 AM
Cathy Weeks

"Carol" wrote in message ...
I'm not sure that I would put the tiles on posterboard. I think I mentioned
in a precious post that I had used an acrylic sheet as a backing for tiles.
It's stiffer than poster board and doesn't absorb the glue. I got the
sheets at a railroad hobby shop although the crafts stores may carry it. I
used Elmer's glue.

I ended up getting plastic sheet protectors to use as backing.

The tiles are italian glass mosaic tiles, and they are thick - 1/8".
So I didn't want to glue them to a backing that would add any height
at all to the floor. I am pretty certain that any rigid acrylic would
add significantly to the height. So I bought some sheet protectors,
cut it so it was only one sheet thick, and used that. I gave up
rigidity for plastic and no thickness. So far, the only drawback has
been that it takes FOREVER for the glue to dry. It's supposed to set
within 7 minutes, and cure within 7 hours. After 7 hours, it's still
opaque in the middle(it dries clear). I had a mishap at the 7 hour
mark, and the floor slid off the piece of plywood I was using as a
work surface, and I ended up having to redo a few rows, and that's how
I know it takes so long to dry.

The good news is that I put a piece of the wooden floor next to it,
and with the thickness of the coffee stirrers and the posterboard,
it's only slightly shorter than the tile floor, and it doesn't look
bad at all.

I'll try to get pictures of the tile floor up on the website in the
next day or so. It's really pretty.

Cathy Weeks
Old April 11th 04, 06:30 PM
betsyb

"Carol" wrote in message

[...]

I cannot wait to see how it turned out. I have been dying to try.

glue problem biig Beads 6 September 23rd 04 07:12 AM
What glue to stick a floor down? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 2 April 5th 04 07:09 PM
glue question biig Beads 3 September 12th 03 05:28 AM
glue Lisa P. Beads 2 August 27th 03 01:46 PM
glue that will not corrupt thread alia Beads 2 August 17th 03 08:53 PM