Would this work?

Old August 13th 12, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default Would this work?

I like the idea of a whole lot of seemingly random sqaures and
rectangels without sashing. It would be busy, yes, but who says a
quilt needs to be restful? Do you have EQ7? MAybe you could play
around with that and come up with a solution. Personally right now I
am definitely in the market for just something that you describe; I
want to make a photoquilt for my middle daughter for her 18th birthday
for september 2013. A random arrangement of sqaures and rectangles of
varying sizes might just be what I'm looking for!.

I can't wait to see what you come up with! Keep me posted!

Claudia
Old August 13th 12, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

This is what I came up with (sorry very long link)

http://www.google.es/imgres?hl=es&cl...9,r:2,s:0,i:79

Claudia
Old August 13th 12, 10:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Yes! a whole lot of different sized photographs, each with its own
frame, might be a better use of my random design than pieced samplers!
However, in this instance I am committed to what I promised the group
members.
I think I must scan my drawing and put it on my Flickr site. Then you
can use it if it 'grabs' you g
It will also help everyone see why the doubts came ...
Since my separation, such things as this (seemingly simple to the more
techy among you g) assume giant proportions of difficulty. But, I
have done difficult - so I'll have a go in the next few days.
..
In message
,
Claudia writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old August 13th 12, 10:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Fascinating!
Something similar to that would be perfectly fine - if you are happy
with 'Y' seams. I had to do mine so that there were none! Our
beginners would run a mile if they couldn't see how to put it together
g.

Amazing what can be found when you set out on a search.
..
In message
,
Claudia writes
This is what I came up with (sorry very long link)

http://www.google.es/imgres?hl=es&cl...sa=X&rls=org.m
ozilla:es-ESfficial&biw=1280&bih=617&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&t bnid=oZ2NhKz
14U9goM:&imgrefurl=http://www.maa.org/editorial/mathgames/mathgames_12_0
1_03.html&docid=XbMDT4kVOZ3vdM&imgurl=http://www.maa.org/editorial/mathg
ames/PrimitiveQuilts.gif&w=655&h=523&ei=dYQoUNqvKIeBhQe Hp4DoCA&zoom=1&ia
ct=hc&vpx=459&vpy=153&dur=508&hovh=142&hovw=178&t x=69&ty=102&sig=1140335
24446848244854&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=165&start=0&n dsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:2,s
:0,i:79

Claudia

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old August 13th 12, 10:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

If I were making this for myself, Polly, I would have a bash; but this
is all going to be purely theoretical for the group members who liked
the idea of choosing from several designs for each of the blocks. So,
the designs will have to be finalised before any trial can take place.
Having seen Jen's example, I am more confident. I will, however, be
sure to strongly recommend a fairly restricted colour palette (I know
Roberta will disagree!), as I do want them all to be very pleased with
their individual quilts. I will not recommend that they use 'quiet' or
'tone on tone' fabrics, though g. I am going to try to make one
alongside them, to encourage them; mine is going to be black and white
prints!! It will be fun when we have the get-together meetings!

As I said to Claudia, I am going to try to get a handle on this
'showing' lark!
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes
Years ago, there was a series of articles in QNM on when/whether/how to
sash. Some of their ideas I agreed with, some I thought too rigid.
There's always this - you could enjoy making the blocks and when
complete, arrange them on a design wall with sashing to see what it
brings to the party. The choice may even lie with the colour schemes;
some may say 'I need to wear jewelry' and some say 'go away'. I'm
hoping you'll be showing us your designs. Polly

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old August 13th 12, 10:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Thanks for this snippet J. I will be using flying geese and other
simple blocks for those who don't want to do anything too complicated.
So, if you think they are restful, the whole thing might not be as
'busy' as I first feared. Who knows, when I get down to making the full
complement of block designs, I might come up with something which
doesn't quite fit into square or rectangle, so I will need to use the
filler strip! At least, with this concept, nothing will have to be
symmetrical!!
..
In message , J*
writes

if a single design wants to be 4 x 6 inch but needs to fit into a 6 x 6
space, just add a strip of plain fabric to one side. a tone on tone would be
nice. there you have your resting place. here and there and you're away
laughing as far as i'm concerned.
that 4" x 6" (or any sizes) could be smaller filler blocks like QSTs, HSTs,
bowties, flying geese or whatever floats your boat and fits the space/design
nicely.
no idea if that makes sense at all. i reckon its a good way to use up some
of the scraps generated by the bigger pieced blocks and provides that
continuity of colour/fabric needed.
i find smaller filler blocks very restful as i dont need to think too much
about what they are.
just my take on this wee conundrum. )
j.

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old August 13th 12, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
barnyowl[_2_]

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...56043956vCMtzW

This is an I Spy quilt that I made several years ago with no block design
and no idea of the finished result. I've used the same principle in making
vests (waistcoats) for many clients. It is just another fun way to use up
scraps. Barnyowl

"Pat S" wrote in message
Some time ago, just for fun, I made up a quilt design using small squares,
large squares, small rectangles and large rectangles (as you do!). The
quilt size is determined by the size of the small square, as all the other
components are multiples of it.
Later, I was asked to design a collection of patterns that could be sold
at our recent exhibition. It was decided that this was not a viable
proposition; but someone envisioned the collection of patterns and the
quilt design as a whole and questioned whether it could be done as a kind
of 'Block a month' quilt. I pondered, and have come up with ways and
means.
However, with so many pieced blocks, of unequal shapes and sizes, I think
it might be just too busy - without any 'resting places'.
So, now I am wondering whether a half inch border on every block, using a
plainish fabric, would result in a sufficiently unifying/resting sashing.
I could probably re-do the drawing of the whole thing, in order to put
regular sashing in, but I would prefer to leave it as is, if at all
possible.

What do you think?
--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

Old August 13th 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Replied privately -but no, I would try without sashing.
Roberta in D

Old August 13th 12, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Lovely quilt! IMO the variety between the pieced and the applique
blocks acts as a sort of resting place.
Roberta in D

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:37:22 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Well, golly, Jenx. So much I didn't quite visualize about this thread and
there you find an example. Thank you. I could change my mind (in the middle
of this sentence, you know) but I've never been tempted by a block of the
month. I like to know where I'm going. Well. Usually. Rambling here but
yes, I think quilts should have resting spots, that quilt you found doesn't
have one and I like it. It is not required to make sense. Polly

"barnyowl" wrote in message ...
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...04052670OMjsvB is
just one example of a sampler quilt made up of different sized pieced
blocks without sashings or frames......doesn't look too busy to me.
Colour and fabric selections would have to really work together though, I
think. Barnyowl

Old August 13th 12, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

It's very interesting to see the difference between a truly scrappy and
a restricted palette. I don't have the confidence to let my little
group have their heads, as far as colour is concerned - just yet! Some
of them have never even made one quilt. I'll gently suggest a small
group of colours; but the rest of the choices will be theirs!
Thanks for showing this very different quilt of yours. Fascinating to
see what can be done 'out of the box', so to speak g.
..
In message , barnyowl
writes