OT The Lady and the Snake

Old November 28th 11, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT The Lady and the Snake

Have I mentioned recently that all my children have lost their minds?

With the stuff DD1 has been dealing with, that is no big shock.
By the way Damian has tested clear of his infection. His brothers have
not though, and that has been making visitation with his father all kinds
of confusing. 4 boys, 3 moms, and Dad is a jerk, makes for all kinds of
fun. The doctors involved have been comparing notes to try and sort out
where the problem came from.

DD3 has taken up hides and fur as a hobby. We are up to our ears in
plastic totes full of deer hides pickling, the freezer is full of brains,
and she has appropriated my ulu knife for fleshing.

DD2 takes the prize though.
She is doing rather well with her dancing and people are often asking for
her by name now.
Sometimes they call to make a booking, and if she does not have a dancer
that does what they are asking for they will often ask if she would do it.
This has resulted in her taking lessons in certain techniques and thus
expanding her repertoire. The latest thing though I cannot help but feel
is ill advised.
An entertainer down there is having a birthday party at a local club.
DD has booked in a number of dancers for it, mostly fire dancers.
He does want one thing she does not have in her list of performers, and
that is a snake dancer. Of course they asked her to do it. When she
told them she did not have a snake the DJ offered the use of his, a 5+
foot red tailed boa named Potato.
So she has had one practice session with Potato, and has about a week to
get him (her?) up to par on the fine points of belly dancing. Apparently
Potato is freaked out by shimmies, and is very fond of twining around her
biceps tightly enough to be uncomfortable.
I have suggested that she practice while wearing at least the top half of
her costume so Potato is used to the coins and glitteries and what have
you on it's skin. I also suggested that somebody look into what permits
and such might be required for Potato to be in the performance. North
Carolina as a state is notably lax about owning exotic animals, but most
states, counties, and municipalities require permits for the use of
animals in entertainments.
Oh, and Potato is about a month away from shedding.
So, she has a week to practice something neither she nor Potato has ever
done before, she has no experience in snake handling, no clue as to what
the legalities are, and Potato is entering what to a snake is a very
emotionally vulnerable time. Then she takes it all to a probably very
full nightclub.

Like I said, she has totally lost her mind.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old November 28th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA[_3_]

On Nov 28, 12:03*pm, NightMist wrote:
[...]

OMG my dear! You do keep things interesting around here :-)
Old November 28th 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

NightMist wrote:

Have I mentioned recently that all my children have lost their minds?

snipped excellent story of kids' madnesses

Oh, and Potato is about a month away from shedding.
So, she has a week to practice something neither she nor Potato has ever
done before, she has no experience in snake handling, no clue as to what
the legalities are, and Potato is entering what to a snake is a very
emotionally vulnerable time. Then she takes it all to a probably very
full nightclub.

Like I said, she has totally lost her mind.

NightMist

ROTFLMAO!!!

I can sympathise with DD3 as I did something very similar in the days of
my youth: with me, it was skulls, though.

I've also got a rather soft spot for snakes and read the story of DD2
with great interest. I think you were absolutely right to suggest that
dress rehearsals are important, NightMist. I remember a scene on a local
TV show where some goon was handling a reticulated python a bit too
roughly. It - erm - evacuated all over him: about two cupsful of pale
beige runny, stinky mess. Snakes with Dire Rear are not to be taken
lightly and DD might do very well to spend a good bit of time making
sure Potato is comfortable with the costumes, routine, lighting etc.

Just saying, y'know...

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old November 28th 11, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"NightMist" Have I mentioned recently that all my children have lost their
minds?

Errrr----I don't know WHAT to say! Except, Good Luck!
Barbara in rainey FL

Old November 29th 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 28/11/2011 20:03, NightMist wrote:

[...]

Bonkers, the lot of them. Truly. But lovely people, for all that.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old November 29th 11, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Well, there is just never a dull moment around there, eh? [Bet you
wish there would be!]
Practice, your daughter will become familiar with Potato and he with
her. The familiarity may hopefully breed relaxation.

Otherwise all I can say is i love reading the adventures you have!

Ginger in CA

Old November 29th 11, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

ROTFLMAO!!!

NEver a dull moment with you! I love it!

Claudia
Old November 30th 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

OMG! ROFL! Thanks for today's funniest story.
All I can offer is a few words of wisdom from a Moroccan dancer: If
you've got it, shake it.

Can't imagine how you come to have a child who keeps deer brains in
the freezer. But it's great news about Damian.
Roberta in D

Old December 9th 11, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

The dancing went well.
Potato was well behaved, except he kept crawling into her top.
Apparently there were audience members who felt that this did not detract
from the performance in any way.
Shes also discovered that the gentleman who requested a snake dancer in
the first place is in fact terrified of snakes. Apparently he was
operating under the premise of "If you are going to have a circus, you
have got to have elephants", and packed in as much exotica as he could
manage.
One thing DD2 did not mention is that she got to be Mrs. Claus in the
entrance extravaganza. Apparently they got a guy who looks very much
like a Christmas card Santa to be the man himself. DD found Santa hats
at a dollar store and "slaughtered a few" and then added a couple of tree
skirts from Wal-Mart to make a Mrs Santa belly dance costume.

I am spending more and more time counseling her on sewing. So she is
going to blow for a maintenance visit for two of my machines as a
Christmas prezzie this year. Yay! I know I am going to be trying to sort
out how to make a fan veil (example at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=tWByqbOvYQE ). She wants to try and figure out a way to make the fan
part replaceable, or at least less breakable. I have some ideas.

NightMist

Old December 9th 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL[_2_]

Thanks for the update. I had been wondering how it all went.

Mary

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 19:44:49 +0000, NightMist
wrote:

[...]

Need help with snake eyelashes! ;-) Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 22 September 30th 08 05:25 AM
Brown's Snake Oil Frosty Jewelry 7 March 6th 07 04:02 AM
Brown's Snake Oil Frosty Jewelry 5 February 22nd 07 07:39 AM
AD: Snake Skin Cindy Schoepp Beads 5 February 15th 06 11:07 PM
soldering snake chain slawdog Jewelry 9 October 28th 05 04:49 PM