[Ganoksin] [Issue #120] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Old March 11th 05, 02:19 AM
Panther

Default [Ganoksin] [Issue #120] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Ok I'll show my support!
There is also a cool site listed below.
North American, hand made jewelry starting at $20.00 nothing over 100.00
http://www.bancroftrocks.com/

"Ganoksin" wrote in message
The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques
http://www.ganoksin.com

Ganoksin is run by a group of people who believe in and love what
they're doing. If you enjoy our efforts, then please feel free to
show your support!

http://www.ganoksin.com/donate

In This Edition:

1. Metalsmith Juried Exhibition in Print
2. The Jewelry of Gina Pankowski - Instruments of Imagination
3. Platinum Alloy Applications for Jewelry
4. Project - Box Clasp Fabrication
5. Hot Enough for You? - What kind of torch do you need?
6. Introduction to Gemstone Coloration and Dyeing
7. Gemstones Chemical Coloration Techniques
8. Book - Beginner's Guide to Enamelling
9. Book - The Art of Enameling: Techniques, Projects, Inspiration
10. Press Release - 3M New FX Polishing Wheels

We need your support . . .

The internet is a great tool, and allows us to accomplish certain goals
in ways that were simply not possible before. All of us here at
Ganoksin are working hard to build a strong pool of information, freely
accessible, for the benefit of the trade and the general public,
promote jewelry art, community, and critical thought in a world that
doesn't always seem to make sense.

http://www.ganoksin.com/donate/

In This Edition of Tips From The Jeweler's Bench
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/tip_sear.htm

1. Metalsmith Juried Exhibition in Print
By SNAG

Launched in 1994 with the mission of "providing additional coverage to
the wide range of work being done in our field today", EiP has
showcased the exceptional work of hundreds of metalsmiths, from
established masters to students and relative newcomers. Each year the
EiP alternates between juried and curated formats, allowing for both
general overviews and more thematic exploration. For this juried EiP,
the jurors-Sharon Church, Susan Cummins, and Ursula Ilse Neuman -
Viewed the slides of some 300 applicants to make their final
choices....

Metalsmith Exhibition in Print, 2004 [EiP] is now fully available for
view through The Ganoksin Project website!

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/eip04/

2. The Jewelry of Gina Pankowski - Instruments of Imagination
By Tacey A. Rosolowski

Gina Pankowski blends many sources of inspiration: the growth patterns
of plants in her garden; the machines and architectural details that
have fascinated her since childhood; skeletal structure; one-celled
organisms; cosmic design. I'm never specifically working from an idea
or image; I'm creating something that comes from a collection of
imagery. I'm interested in the boundaries of perception, what affects
what happens around a form. The three-dimensional drawing I do in my
work-it's stripping a form to its structure, seeing its mechanics,
seeing how that structure works....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...-pankowski.htm

3. Platinum Alloy Applications for Jewelry
By Jurgen J. Maerz

Today, platinum is enjoying its renaissance. In the U.S., platinum
consumption has risen by more than 700% since 1990. More jewelers are
carrying platinum jewelry, and consumers are becoming more aware of the
most noble of all metals. Many jewelers are still confused as to the
platinum alloys a vailable, their application and purpose, this paper
will attempt to clear up some of these issues....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...inum-alloy.htm

4. Project - Box Clasp Fabrication
By Alan Revere

One of the most important types of closures used in jewelry is the box
clasp. This clasp and its many variations are usually built into
jewelry such as bracelets, necklaces, and chains. However, as an
exercise, this project demonstrates the fabrication of a sample clasp
as an independent unit....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...sp-project.htm

5. Hot Enough for You? - What kind of torch do you need?
By Nina Graci

With so many torches on the market, a first-time buyer can be quickly
overwhelmed by the sheer number of decisions that have to be made.
Choosing a fuel, fitting the right tips, and determining the type of
flame you need are just the beginning. To make decision-making tougher,
all torches look pretty much alike. They have two open-ended tubes for
the attachment of two color-coded rubber hoses, conducting air to one
and fuel to the other. They are either single-fuel or a combination of
oxygen and fuel, which tend to be hotter. Some torches accommodate
different fuels simply by changing the tip. Each gas produces a
different flame. Which brings us to the burning question: which torch
will produce the flame power needed to get the job done?....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...sing-torch.htm

6. Introduction to Gemstone Coloration and Dyeing
By George W. Fischer

The prime requisite for coloration of gemstone is that it be porous.
That is to say there must be spaces or vacancies into which the
coloring chemical, in solution, can penetrate deeply in order to impart
the desired color. These spaces are usually spoken of as "pores", but
from what I have been able to observe, they are not pores in the sense
of parallel tubes. Rather, they are....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...one-dyeing.htm

7. Gemstones Chemical Coloration Techniques
By George W. Fischer

The most important detail in the preparation of gemstone for chemical
coloration is that it be clean. Oil and grease, especially, must be
entirely removed. I have found it practical to keep a bucket of
detergent solution (ordinarily laundry detergent) standing beside the
slab saw. Two or three cups full of detergent powder in about four
gallons of water (in a five gallon bucket) is adequate. As the slabs
come from the saw, they are dropped carefully into the bucket and
allowed to accumulate there....
Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...-technique.htm

8. Book Review - Beginner's Guide to Enamelling
By Woodrow W. Carpenter

The book is based on a workshop for beginners given by the author some
years ago called 'The Second Coat'. The publisher limited the book to
64 pages and wanted step-by-step projects. Since the book is about
enameling and not metal working, the publisher also insisted on
projects with pre-cut or pre-formed copper. Of course, there is no
reason readers cannot cut and fabricate their own metal shapes, or use
silver instead of copper for most of the projects....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...enamelling.htm

9. Book Review - The Art of Enameling : Techniques, Projects,
Inspiration
By Bill Helwig

This book is profoundly logical, extremely obvious and demystifying.
The book and it's content presents more relevant information about
glass on metal than has ever been put into print in a single volume....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...-enameling.htm

10. Press Release - 3M New FX Polishing Wheels
By Rich Bohr, 3M Worldwide

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 4, 2005 St. Paul, Minn. - 3M announced today the availability of
a new addition to their creative arts product portfolio. FX Polishing
Wheels from 3M feature a new, molded-wheel technology for controllable,
consistent finishing and polishing of precious metals.

The new FX Polishing Wheels from 3M provide conformable polishing
action, while brightening, blending and enhancing scratch patterns.
When used with Trizact or Scotch-Brite Bristle products from 3M, they
can reduce or eliminate the use of muslin and cotton buffs with
compounds, applying a uniform semi-final or final finish on platinum,
gold, titanium, brass and other precious metals.

The wheels' conformable resin construction is ideal for finishing parts
with complex shapes, curves and contours and can be run wet or dry to
achieve the artists' preferred results. FX Polishing Wheels from 3M are
available in either four-inch or six-inch diameters and in six standard
grades from 240 to 3000 grit.

About 3M Abrasive Systems Division
3M Abrasive Systems Division is 3M's "heritage business," upon which
the company was founded in 1902. 3M's brands are recognized around the
world, making the company the leading abrasives supplier to the metal-
and wood-working industries as well as to artists everywhere. 3M
abrasive technologies and brands, including Cubitron, Scotch-Brite, and
Trizact, mean customers can trust 3M to provide quality, innovative
products and solutions for virtually every purpose - from grinding to
polishing.

For more information about FX Polishing Wheels or 3M Abrasive Systems
Division, call 1-866-279-1235 or visit http://www.3M.com/abrasives

Put an Orchid on your Bench

Join the most popular online community for jewelers, The Orchid forums
at http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid

The Ganoksin Project (http://www.ganoksin.com) is the largest virtual
single information source for searchable archived content for jewelry
and metals in the world. Its 5200 Orchid members foster sharing,
support community, enhance productivity and encourage studio safety, by
promoting education in the jewelry and metal arts worldwide.

Old March 11th 05, 02:30 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:19:42 -0800, in ¼
ô "Panther" wrote:

Ok I'll show my support!
There is also a cool site listed below.
North American, hand made jewelry starting at $20.00 nothing over 100.00

chuckle.

Panther, I let you get away with this stunt this time. (your email address strongly
suggests a connection with the site you're promoting, which makes your post a thinly
veiled commercial advertisement. I'm hoping (I'm very naive sometimes) that you mean it
when you say you'll support the Ganoksin project. For the record, Ganoksin is not a
commercial enterprise so much as it is a communal resource for the jewelry community.
Yes, they have some things they sell or promote, and solicite donations. But it's a
costly web site and service to run, so they can be forgiven that. In your own case,
well, your web site is interesting, but the post is still an ad, which techinically, is
prohibited by the group charter. As I said, I let it through this time. Just 'cause
I'm in a generous mood, and hope you are too. Don't expect the same leniency next time,
though, OK? (feel free to respond to Ganoksin's postings by deleting rec.crafts.jewelry
from the newsgroups list. Then you're posting to only the other, unmoderated, groups in
the crosspost list and I'm out of the equation, as are rec.crafts.jewelry's charter
restrictions.

In general, however, a better way to get your URL published in the group is to include
in in a low key signature file, added by your news poster after your regular postings
sent to the group. Keep it short and simple, and it's then a type (one of the few) of
advertising allowed by longtime internet tradition, IF your post is otherwise on topic,
which would mean the main bulk of your message is part of the ongoing conversations in
the group. Part of why I allowed your post this time is that you sort of did that.
But a single "OK, i'll support it", followed by a very long quote (Hanuman's entire
message), doesn't really quite meet the standard. Understood?

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry
Old March 12th 05, 04:36 AM
Panther

Hello again;

Sorry Peter I didn't know it was moderated.
We will support your cool org, in any way we can. My spouse sometimes uses
my machine, saw I was lurking, and couldn't help himself. He uses most of
the proceeds from our jewelry business to help finance our web server that
supports survivors of sexual abuse. He sometimes gets a bit over
enthusiastic. Maybe I could email you about our web services, I do
understand costs can be very high.
Nope my spouse will not creatively spam your ng again. And thank you for for
the advice that you passed on in such a kind manner. We've been around for
years and hate spam as much as you, but he really wants ppl to know they
don't have to purchase gems from China and India. Especially now as we
expanded and dropped our prices. Besides, what is in North America is much
nicer G

Again thank you much, he agrees with everything you say. It's also good
advice to other lurkers.

He'll just lurk a bit more, before posting again. And the his sig file you
see today will be changed, so as not to bring any more spam to your fine ng.

Panther

Feel free to visit http://www.bancroftrocks.com/ - why just this week the
well liked Peter Rowe, moderator, rec.crafts.jewelry is quoted as saying
bancroftrocks is "interesting" ....this sig file will self-destruct after
this one post.

ok got ya,
keep the bandwidth down.
dont spam this ng
take care,
andy ....

what do cabbers call faceters..... those crystal butchers.