A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Craft related newsgroups » Pottery
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Want to get rid of a kiln - Advice needed please!

Old September 28th 12, 09:16 AM

First recorded activity by CraftBanter: Sep 2012
Default Want to get rid of a kiln - Advice needed please!

I am a governor at an infant school in Essex and we have a kiln that we wish to get rid of. It is rarely used as the children use air drying clay nowadays. The kiln is by Hymus Engineering and is a 2M type, 6kw 30amp single phase with a maximum working temp of 1280 degrees. It is connected to a Studio 3000 programmer & temperature controller.

The school has been given a quote of over £300 to 'decommission' the kiln (whatever that means!) which I can only presume entails the company disconnecting the electric and taking it away. A quick search on ebay revealed a Hymus kiln being sold second hand for £650 so it would seem the company would be making a considerable profit if we allowed them to have it.

My questions are, how much hassle is it to remove it ourselves? Is ebay the best palce to try and sell it?

Obviously if the school could raise money from the sale, it would be much better than paying somebody for the privilege of taking it away. I have a feeling that the company is hoping to make a quick buck from an unsuspecting headteacher. The money raised would be spent on other equipment for the school, and with budgets being cut left, right and centre, any extra cash we can generate would be great.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Ads
Old October 30th 12, 09:40 PM

First recorded activity by CraftBanter: Oct 2012

Hi there

I have just seen this post and have been looking for a kiln to purchase. I have been looking on ebay and have not been lucky with any of my bids! I am an Art and Design teacher and do have access to a kiln at our school but am wanting to start my own business up so am looking for my own kiln, You are very right not to get the company to take it away as I think you are being taken for a ride there in terms of money!
I am able to collect however how much would you look at selling the kiln privately for?

Please could you let me know your thoughts?

Many thanks

UOTE=Nottapotter;917640]I am a governor at an infant school in Essex and we have a kiln that we wish to get rid of. It is rarely used as the children use air drying clay nowadays. The kiln is by Hymus Engineering and is a 2M type, 6kw 30amp single phase with a maximum working temp of 1280 degrees. It is connected to a Studio 3000 programmer & temperature controller.

The school has been given a quote of over £300 to 'decommission' the kiln (whatever that means!) which I can only presume entails the company disconnecting the electric and taking it away. A quick search on ebay revealed a Hymus kiln being sold second hand for £650 so it would seem the company would be making a considerable profit if we allowed them to have it.

My questions are, how much hassle is it to remove it ourselves? Is ebay the best palce to try and sell it?

Obviously if the school could raise money from the sale, it would be much better than paying somebody for the privilege of taking it away. I have a feeling that the company is hoping to make a quick buck from an unsuspecting headteacher. The money raised would be spent on other equipment for the school, and with budgets being cut left, right and centre, any extra cash we can generate would be great.

Thanks in advance for any answers.[/quote]
Old March 10th 21, 06:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DAVID
external usenet poster

Sell the kiln via ebay or privately. I own the same model, it is 25 years old and I can still keep it running by purchasing spares from other manufacturers. At £6/700 it will still be a good buy !

--
For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/pottery...ease-7339-.htm

Old March 17th 21, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Lee In Minneapolis, MN
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 11:15:04 PM UTC-6, DAVID wrote:
Sell the kiln via ebay or privately. I own the same model, it is 25 years old and I can still keep it running by purchasing spares from other manufacturers. At £6/700 it will still be a good buy !

--

The OP is 8 years old.
Old March 17th 21, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
leroydlove
external usenet poster

The original post is 8 years old

--