Another background question

Old July 17th 03, 05:15 PM
Julia in MN

Default Another background question

Lay a couple of of blocks out on a good-sized piece of black and white
check (or any other sashing color you are considering) leaving about the
width of the sashing between blocks. Then step back and look at it from
a distance. That may help you visualize it. I have one of those little
door peepholes (minus the door) in my sewing box & sometimes use that to
get the effect of looking at it from a distance.

Julia in MN

M. Wetmore wrote:

These colors are more pastel. Since I don't really like pastel
colors, I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out what color to
use for the sashing (the stars will be gold again).

My first thought is to use the dark blue in the chair of the panel in
the upper right corner. But, with all the pastel colors, that might
make the quilt kind of dark and somber.

I also had an idea, but can't conceptualize what it will look like.
What would happen if I use my black and white check fabric for the
sashing with gold stars at the intersections. Do you think that will
be bizzare or look kind of "hip". I certainly can't decide.

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old July 17th 03, 05:23 PM
frood

I love the idea of b/w checks in between! I also like the sort of lavender
color that is "floor" in the top 2 panels. That would be a fun, not too dark
color to work with for sashing, too.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"M. Wetmore" wrote in message
news
Boy, I'm really starting to feel like I am becoming stupid with
quilting. It may be all the drugs they are pumping into my body that
are making me really sick. Oh well...here's another one.

I am making another quilt for the sister of the little guy the bug
quilt is going to. Hers is going to be like the one I did for my
granddaughter at:

http://mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html

The panel for this one is considerably different. I had no trouble
picking the background fabric for my granddaughters quilt. The blue
was a bright happy blue that matched the background on the panel units
perfectly. This new panel is a lot harder. Here's what they look
like:

http://mardiweb.com/quilts/cats.jpg

Old July 17th 03, 05:25 PM
Ronnie Wexler

You could use the black & white check to put another border similar to
that around the center image on these squares and then use any of the
colors you've added - like the light green, or lavender, or pink (but
it should be a deeper pink, I think, to hold it's own against the black
and white.

Your granddaughter's quilt is very cool! Nice and bright!

Ronnie

Old July 17th 03, 06:49 PM
Kathy in CA

Well, I am going to disagree with the others on B/W cks--that's not really a
little girl color How about gingham cks in one of the pastel colors?
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old July 17th 03, 07:35 PM
Ann Adamson

Are you set on a solid background fabric, or how about some dots?
Not too print-y, not too plain.

How about going with something like this --
http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi...34&sid=31U9Hz0

It has the darker blue, but is lightened up with the lighter aqua-y dots.

Or, this is a bit wild, but has a lot of the panel colors in it...
http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi...20&sid=31U9Hz0

Or this purpley version which I like even better! (it has some black which
draws out the narrow b/w borders.
http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi...22&sid=31U9Hz0

Or, go black with brights?
http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi...98&sid=31U9Hz0

Ann

Old July 17th 03, 09:07 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I'm all out of answers on this one g,
but would suggest that you use a neutral background when
choosing colors. The green of that cutting mat throws it all off-balance.

Ragmop/Sandy

Old July 18th 03, 12:30 AM
Polly Esther

Agree with Ragmop here. Cutting mat green does kind of gag me.
Do spread your candidates for sashing out and place the blocks on them.
Wish I could tell you that one will clearly be the best. At least you will
know which ones are not going to work. I love you quilts, just love them and
enjoyed the camper tour. Polly

Ellison wrote Howdy!
I'm all out of answers on this one g,
but would suggest that you use a neutral background when
choosing colors. The green of that cutting mat throws it all off-balance.

Ragmop/Sandy
"M. Wetmore" Boy, I'm really starting to feel like I am becoming

Old July 18th 03, 01:09 AM
grbev

I agree with Pati. I would lay out all of the blocks (the inside printed
ones) and pick a color that appears in every block (purple is probably it).

From Utah,

Bev

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
Mardi, I would use a purple, like the "rick rack" on the bottom panel.

That
would be bright and not too pastely.

Pati, in Phx

Old July 18th 03, 01:36 PM
Musicmaker

definitely use the black and white check with stars at the intersections!

--
Lady Cynthia, Royal Musicmaker

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/