Need help reducing stash

Old July 17th 03, 08:55 AM
annie

Default Need help reducing stash

Sorry about this folks -but this concerns Christmas stuff....
Following Grandma bev's encouragement to weed out the stash, I have
been thinking about the draw full of Christmas fabric that I have. I
used to do a gifts stall at an annual fete near Christmas in aid of
Leukaemia Researchand would pick up bargains in the New Year sales.
Often people would give me FQs that they saw which were a bit
diffeerent.

I haven't done the stall for a few years, but have been thinking about
doing something similar for another local charity.
Thing is I'm all out of ideas - so I KNOW that I am going to be
inundated with fresh ideas for this resourceful group of talented
women (nothing like a bit of flattery when you're after something!).

In the past I have done Christmas stockings of all sorts(including
pieced Victoriana type ones), Wreaths using polystyrene rings,
lavender bags, tissue holders, special cards, bookmarks, tree
decorations.
I am looking for ideas on making things that fulfill 3 criteria -

1) They are not too labour intensive
2) They should -in the main- be able to be made from my fabric and a
small haberdashery stash. I don't want to have to spend a lot of
extra money on making things- but would be prepared to spend out a bit
for a good idea.
3) They should appeal to adults.

So far the only thing I have come up with that I haven't done before
is to do Christmas baby bibs- aiming at the 'something different for
Grannies to buy' market. I want to be able to price things cheaply
enough so I don't bring them all home again! I would also like ideas
for use with non-Christmas fabric as they have often been as popular
as the Christams stuff.

I've also made a lap quilt purely out of over cut strips -so I can
have that as a centre piece. As I had the backing and wadding from a
sale some time ago I should be able to sell that for what I consider
quite cheap. But I know from experience that things like that don't
tend to sell well at these events- people don't come expecting to
spend that much.

So I am really looking for smaller items that I can offer a prices
people will pay. All proceeds will go to the charity.
One thing to consider- I machine piece, hand piece and hand quilt. I
can machine quilt smaller items but machine applique really isn't my
thing.
I thank you in anticipation of your generous help....

Annie, England
Old July 17th 03, 11:52 AM
Pat Harvey

I am not a member of this group but do have several ideas you may
consider.
1 - Gift bags - very easy and fast
2 - Show bags with draw strings
3 - Placemats or table toppers
Pat Harvey

My addy -

Old July 17th 03, 12:18 PM
AliceW

Pillow cases!

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"

Old July 17th 03, 01:06 PM
Julia Altshuler

Place mats with matching table runners.

For some reason, they don't appeal to me, but when I've sold my quilts at a
museum store (or tried to-- they don't sell well), the director tells me that
place mats and table runners sell.

--Lia
Old July 17th 03, 01:13 PM
Debbi

I took a workshop this weekend and made a crazy quilt from FQ's. The pattern
comes from the book Stack the Deck. Talk about fast and easy! Uses a lot of
your various stash too!

Debbi in SO CA

om...

Old July 17th 03, 02:59 PM
MerryStahel

Well, the coasters I mentioned in another thread come to mind...quick, easy and
make excellent gifts.

Merry
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://www.stardancerpress.com/MerryStahel/
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old July 17th 03, 03:52 PM
grbev

How about doing Corn Bags? We made these last Christmas. They are so easy
and people just snap them up. They are cheap to make so the price is just
right for someone looking for a fun gift for someone. You can also make a
little pillowcase for these that can be removed and washed. Here are the
instructions:

Instructions for Corn Bags

Note: Make sure you use the Farm Corn (this is that big whole kernel hard
stuff). Regular corn will pop in the microwave!

Materials Needed:

~ two pieces of material for each bag (9½ " x 11" each) or you could fold
the material and cut one piece (9½ " x 22"), thus eliminating one side seam

About 6 cups of corn for each bag

Instructions:

1. Using ½ " seam allowance, sew around outside (after placing two pieces,
right sides together), leaving a 3" opening to put corn in.

2. After filling, you can sew this opening shut by hand or just fold edges
in and top stitched with the sewing machine.

3. Put 6 cups of corn in each bag. The farm corn comes in 50 lb. bags that
you buy at the feed store for about $6.00/bag.

4. You can probably get 20 corn bags from each 50 lb bag.

Here's the poem to we used (which is a compilation of several rice bag
poems):

Corn Bag

I'm a little comfort bag.
Just keep me by your chair.
2 to 3 minutes in the microwave,
I'll warm you everywhere..

Apply me to a troubled spot.
The heat will ease the pain a lot.
Or warm those little toes so cold.
You'll find this nice to have and hold.

Or freeze me for a little while
And fix that boo-boo up in style.
Instead of a compress made of ice,
You'll find this pillow extra nice.

On aching backs or shoulders
Or necks or hurting heads,
Apply me cold or heated
For comfort it is said.

So when your body is yearning
For a little extra care,
You'll find this little corn bag
Is a "friend" who's always there.

om...

Stash for Sale Suzanne Marketplace 0 March 1st 04 05:23 AM
The Stash Can Jacqueline Cahoon Needlework 1 February 16th 04 01:21 AM
Cleaning and organizing the stash closet Bungadora Needlework 10 December 3rd 03 04:42 PM
CA Fires/Love in Stitches Stash Replacement/Grandma-to-Be Coleen Needlework 6 November 3rd 03 04:05 AM
Fabric Storage in Stash Room Allie Orange Needlework 6 October 29th 03 05:20 PM