RCTN Posts

Old March 8th 11, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_3_]

Default RCTN Posts

"Bruce" wrote in message
On 26/02/2011 23:45, Ellice K. wrote:
Interesting. I've also seen some of these studies about writing and
memory
- for me, as well, I found that taking notes in class really helped, and
made studying much less arduous. WRT the cursive, when I took the
judging
class last year at ANG seminar, the instructor (a really brilliant,
exciting, older woman) insisted on writing on the boards in cursive. She
stated that it upset her to find that cursive writing was becoming a lost
art, and that with so much work being done with keyboards. So, we also
had
to do some things and write in cursive - her handwriting, much more
elegant
than most of the students. I hadn't seen anything about cursive writing
helping with memory, but surely with some dexterity or pattern
recognition.

Thanks,
ellice

At school in the late 1940s & early 1950s we were taught "Vere Foster"
handwriting, I can still produce a reasonable handwriting style but only
if I use a "proper" fountain pen.
Bruce

I used to have quite nice handwriting, but I get terrible cramp after a VERY
short while these days - so thank goodness for the keyboard I say,
regretfully!

Pat P

Old March 9th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kalmia

On Feb 26, 4:44*pm, Susan Hartman wrote:
On 2/25/2011 3:27 PM, wrote:

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:39:49 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

It's the other aspects of FB I do not like. *I believe a lot of people
are going to be very sorry about a lot of the stuff they posted there
and once up it's extremely difficult to truly delete it.

Gotta agree about FB. *I've stayed away and expect will
continue to do so. *I check in here, (been on newsgroups
since the early 90s, hard to break the habit) and a few
blogs.

Police in a local county have been investigating
a truly despicable FB page made from pages of girls in
their teens, using their pictures, etc. *As soon as it was
"taken down", the instigators put it back up with a
"comment for the police. *Not nice at all.
If one isn't judicious in one's use of FB a lot of trouble
can ensue.

Nancy

We've had a couple of undesirable things, similar, with the kids here
too. *It's a worry with young kids.

I saw in yesterday's paper that Disney has acquired a company that does
a FB for the under-10 set with parental safeguards, etc. But I ask you,
do under-10s NEED a FB experience?

sue

--
Susan Hartman

Disney's is just looking for one more place to plop advertising. No
kid under 10 needs to be posting ANYTHING anywhere.

I wudn't join FB for anything.
Old March 9th 11, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kalmia

On Feb 27, 10:18*am, Bruce wrote:
[...]

Rinehart method here. But we all veered away from some of the flowery
capitals. Palmer method for my folks. Funny, everyone seemed to write
a nice hand then. I even had to dip pen into inkwell - how's that for
dating myself?

We had to drill on writing "kk". Someone asked a teacher when you'd
ever use it - after a moment, being well schooled in the Bible, she
intoned "Habakkuk" . Sure - a person will need to use that every day.

Old March 9th 11, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kalmia

On Mar 8, 6:53*pm, "Pat P" wrote:

I used to have quite nice handwriting, but I get terrible cramp after a VERY
short while these days - so thank goodness for the keyboard I say,
regretfully!

Pat P

Same here - why IS that? Too much needle gripping? A fat pen helps,
tho.
Old March 9th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Carey N.

"Kalmia" wrote in message
On Feb 27, 10:18 am, Bruce wrote:
[...]

Well, maybe no "Habakkuk" but how about "bookkeeper?" A few double letters
there.
--
Carey in MA
(going back to my corner....)

Old March 10th 11, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 19:04:33 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
wrote:

Rinehart method here. But we all veered away from some of the flowery
capitals. Palmer method for my folks. Funny, everyone seemed to write
a nice hand then. I even had to dip pen into inkwell - how's that for
dating myself?

I had to do that and if an exam paper had an ink blot it was marked
down - imagine these days what would happen when every child has to
pass for fearing of damaging it's ego lol

We had to drill on writing "kk". Someone asked a teacher when you'd
ever use it - after a moment, being well schooled in the Bible, she
intoned "Habakkuk" . Sure - a person will need to use that every day.

Ink blots on an exam paper - ah - I remember that quite well! An
(aA,bB,dD,g,Oo,Pp,Qq,R,) or an (4,6,8,9,0) filled with ink was considered a
blot. Last but not the very least, if one used the written number (2) for an
upper case (Q) one paid a visit to the principle's office or wrote five
hundred lines of (Qs) on a blackboard. Can't remember how many marks were
knocked off blots but one could fail a test if there were enough of them and
incorrect answers.

Blotters made for great crib sheets, to this day I can still read mirror
images quite well and blotters were also neat for spit balls.g

I used an ink well also, the little metal ones with the hinged top. Those
little guys are probably worth a fortune these days as antiques. I can also
recall the school board battles that went on when fountain pens first came
out. They didn't have a lot of variety of pen nibs for different writing
styles and Jack's/Jill's handwriting was going to go to hell in a hand
basket. IIRC my wooden straight pen kit had 15 different styles/thickness
nibs, thick nibs for headings, thinner nibs for normal text, fine nibs for
ARITHAMATIC.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Old March 10th 11, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce[_4_]

On 10/03/2011 03:53, Fred wrote:
I used an ink well also, the little metal ones with the hinged top. Those
little guys are probably worth a fortune these days as antiques. I can also
recall the school board battles that went on when fountain pens first came
out. They didn't have a lot of variety of pen nibs for different writing
styles and Jack's/Jill's handwriting was going to go to hell in a hand
basket. IIRC my wooden straight pen kit had 15 different styles/thickness
nibs, thick nibs for headings, thinner nibs for normal text, fine nibs for
ARITHAMATIC.

In primary school (ages 5-11) we started with pencils then graduated
after a year or so to ink pens, the sort that you had to dip into an ink
well. Each member of the class was the "ink monitor" for a week, their
job was to make sure all the ink wells were full at the start of the
day. I was always getting in trouble because I used to chew the wooden
handle of the pens, eventually reducing a 4 inch long handle down to a
mere stub. In the art class we used "italic" pens which had the nib cut
at an angle thus producing some nice effects in your hand-writing.
Definitely NO fountain pens until you went to secondary or grammar
school at age 11.
Bruce
Old March 12th 11, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cathy from KY in CA

On Feb 24, 12:18*pm, Janet wrote:
I've been thinking lately about the decline in the number of posts on
RCTN. *do you think people have migrated to Yahoo groups? *I've
recently joined several and there is a lot of participation there.
What groups are y'all in?

Just curious,

Janet

I belong to several yahoo stitching groups....but like this one
because of the "lively" discussions.
I like when people voice their opinions and disagree at times.
Reminds me of squabbling with my two
sisters......sort of the "we can bash each other, but you can't" way
of thinking.

I think most of the yahoo groups are over-moderated ( such a
word??).......and I get tired of the
"sheep mentality"........everyone agrees and is, it seems, are afraid
to go against the crowd. Everyone will
say how great your piece is.....even if you stitched a picture of a
dog turd. Here people will give an opinion, or
suggest a better way.

This group is just more real life.

IMHO

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA
Old March 12th 11, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cathy from KY in CA" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 12:18 pm, Janet wrote:
[...]

What she said!!!!

Lucille

RCTN-P Cheryl Isaak Needlework 3 June 24th 10 01:36 PM
RCTN is alive!! Gill Murray Needlework 28 December 7th 07 02:29 AM
Being OT on RCTN (long) Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen Needlework 117 October 8th 05 12:54 AM
Being OT on RCTN KCat Needlework 154 October 3rd 05 12:26 PM
META: Number of posts on RCTN. F.James Cripwell Needlework 67 January 16th 04 03:07 PM