OT - stars on houses

Old August 21st 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Patti

Default OT - stars on houses

For some reason, homeowners here have started to put up these country
stars on their houses, a large five pointed star on the front of the
house. Does anyone know if these stars have some meaning or if they
are just decoration? It seems to be more prevelant in rural areas. I
was wondering if this is happening in other parts of the country as
well as the East coast.

Thanks,

Patti

Old August 21st 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Cheryl

Patti
I've seen a few around here (Ohio) - I think it must be some decorating
trend....
they are ok on a colonial - but sure look stupid on anything more
architecturally modern... LOL

Stars like that - but about 1/3 the size were once used to cover
the ends of tie rods - steel rods that held the sides of buildings
from bowing out. You will see them on older brick buildings
sometimes.
I think someone just that "cool" - designed a big star- and started
selling them.
maybe it was a "martha" thing?? LOL
Cheryl

Old August 21st 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Lou

Patti wrote:
For some reason, homeowners here have started to put up these country
stars on their houses, a large five pointed star on the front of the
house. Does anyone know if these stars have some meaning or if they
are just decoration? It seems to be more prevelant in rural areas. I
was wondering if this is happening in other parts of the country as
well as the East coast.

Thanks,

Patti

Hi Patti...
Here in Lancaster, PA... many of the homes are decorated with stars
that look "rusted:. I've seen many explanations, but tend to believe
that they started as decorative ends on beams for structural support of
a barn. Here's a link that somewhat explains....
http://www.appleseedprimitives.com/s...?Cat=BarnStars
HTH...
Louise

Old August 21st 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Patti

Patti
Hi Patti...
Here in Lancaster, PA... many of the homes are decorated with stars
that look "rusted:. I've seen many explanations, but tend to believe
that they started as decorative ends on beams for structural support of
a barn. Here's a link that somewhat explains....
http://www.appleseedprimitives.com/s...?Cat=BarnStars
HTH...
Louise

Thank you to Lou and Louise for your explanations. I knew someone on
this n/g would know! I was in Lancaster County on Friday and saw many
of these stars which prompted my question.

Patti

Old August 21st 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sarajane Helm

Sounds like Pennsylvania Dutch Hex signs. Some are very lovely, all have
meaning, and some got co-opted by "country" designers who dont have a clue.
..
Also, if you see a blue door, it can mean that there's an unmarried daughter
or son "of age" in the house. But thats traditional, and again, has been
co-opted by designers looking for "authentic" looks they know nothing about!
Sarajane
--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art

See the progress at "Pieces"
http://www.polyclay.com/store.htm

ps.com...

Old August 25th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Paula Hunter

A blue door can also offer "protection" from witches (at least in New
England where I came from).

Paula

. ..
.
Also, if you see a blue door, it can mean that there's an unmarried
daughter
or son "of age" in the house. But thats traditional, and again, has been
co-opted by designers looking for "authentic" looks they know nothing
about!
Sarajane
--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art
http://www.polyclay.com

See the progress at "Pieces"
http://www.polyclay.com/store.htm

ps.com...

Old September 1st 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera

Lou wrote:

Hi Patti...
Here in Lancaster, PA... many of the homes are decorated with stars
that look "rusted:. I've seen many explanations, but tend to believe
that they started as decorative ends on beams for structural support of
a barn. Here's a link that somewhat explains....
http://www.appleseedprimitives.com/s...?Cat=BarnStars
HTH...
Louise

I don't know how big they are, but when I worked at Rejuvenation we used
to sell loads of salvaged old masonry ties (usually about 6" across) to
people looking to decorate their homes with them.

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com