torch question

Old September 9th 04, 10:42 PM
Karen_AZ

Default torch question

Dunno if it would make a difference with metal. With glass the only
difference I've noticed is that natural gas is significantly cleaner.

KarenK

Old September 9th 04, 10:58 PM
Karin Cernik

Well, I have only worked with mine (tanked O2 and propane) and my
teacher has only worked with hers (concentrator and natural gas.)
According to her after she came and played with mine, mine runs hotter,
is slightly louder, and does different things to colors.

I was originally going to go with natural gas and a concentrator. Then
dh got cold feet (or is it warm feet?) and decided I needed to work in
the garage rather than the basement. Since our natural gas comes in on
the other side of the house, that would require quite a plumbing job to
bring it into the garage. So for now, I'm using propane. Doesn't
really bother me, a tank the size I use on my gas grill lasts about 100
hours, and it isn't that much of a hassle to haul it from the porch (ask
me again in January.)

The O2 concentrator lady (Suzanne?) told me that I would have to either
keep the concentrator in the house, or bring it in after I was done with
it (and even that wasn't a guarantee that I wouldn't get condensation
and mess up the whole thing.) Given the extremes of temps in Kansas,
that didn't seem like a good idea (to try and use it outside) and I
don't have a good place to have it inside and run a hose to the garage.
I have a lovely local welding supply place that graciously delivers my
tank (300 cubic feet, it's about 5 feet tall) and sets it up for me.
Since I don't get that much torch time, and it lasts about 30 hours, I'm
only on my 3rd one since March. (no wonder I can't make a round bead
yet...) I would like to have 2 or 3 tanks so that I don't have that
dreaded 'running out at 2 am Sunday morning' thing going, and the
delivery fee is the same whether he delivers 1 or 20, but more tanks
require more deposit money, and I'm still needing a kiln, a vent hood,
fan, etc etc etc. And eying the rod warmer at Auralens, because working
in the garage when it's 100 out is all very well and good (I only crack
a rod every now and again) but I'm guessing doing it when it's 10 out is
going to be quite a different story.

This probably doesn't help you much, since you're probably wanting info
on a torch for soldering etc. The person to ask for that would be Peter
Rowe on rec.crafts.jewelry, but email him privately - it's a hard list
to ask a question on, you get ripped to shreds....

Karin

vj wrote:

yes, i have to have one.
no, i'm not interested in making beads, thankyouverymuch.

what i need to know are the differences in working with natural
gas/oxygen as oppose to propane/oxygen

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com

Old September 9th 04, 11:15 PM
Tinkster

I'm planning to use natural gas for my Smith Little Torch. Everything
I've heard indicates it will work well that way.

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old September 10th 04, 05:17 PM
Kalera Stratton

It really depends on the pressure needs of your torch. The deal with NG
is that it's high-volume, low-pressure. Some torches work extremely well
on low-pressure fuel, others don't... but most manufacturers can tell
you one way or another if their torches run well on NG.

Oxygen concentrators, as Karen mentioned, like to live where you live.
They don't like to be too hot or too cold, but the good news is, you can
run that plastic tubing for fairly long distances and they'll still
work fine. I don't know if that's something you're interested in but
they save a boatload of money over tanked.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old September 11th 04, 08:14 AM
Charlie

Only if you're a bit of an idiot who won't listed to answers. I'm always
asking questions there and have never been ripped to shreds. Maybe it's
because I take the advice and try it before telling them it didn't work for
me. Then asking where I went wrong!

Charlie.

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Karin Cernik
:

]This probably doesn't help you much, since you're probably wanting info
]on a torch for soldering etc. The person to ask for that would be Peter
]Rowe on rec.crafts.jewelry, but email him privately - it's a hard list
]to ask a question on, you get ripped to shreds....

no kidding!
it's why i gave up reading that group!
yes, i want it for soldering and annealing metal.
!@%!@#$!#@
i just realized, if i get my own centrifuge, i'll need one for that,
too!
Oran has 4 sets [of tanks] in his shop.
but when the plumber was here last week, he said the furnace is right
on the other side of the wall where i would need it. so running the
line would be no problem - if it will get hot enough with natural gas
and an O2 tank.
i'll e-mail Peter - thanks!
i had crossed them off of my list.

Old September 15th 04, 04:29 PM
roxan

Gee, I never had a problem there either. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Roxan
"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Charlie"
:

]Only if you're a bit of an idiot who won't listed to answers.

i don't think i was considered a 'real' jeweler.

Old September 15th 04, 05:59 PM
Karin Cernik

Much like this group, there are people there that seem to have very bad
days and can't say a polite word to save their lives. Scathing sarcasm
seems to be the mode of choice. I've only spoken up twice on it and
have avoided any put downs. But some day I'm sure someone will give me
the standard lecture on 'look it up yourself, idiot.' :-)

Karin

Old September 15th 04, 06:13 PM
Dr. Sooz

Much like this group, there are people there that seem to have very bad
days and can't say a polite word to save their lives.

Ms. Tafoya must post there.
~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph Chilton
Pearce

Old September 15th 04, 06:48 PM
Kalera Stratton

I've never been to that group, but I've had some really ugly run-ins on
rec.crafts.glass. It's wierd, because I used to be a regular over there,
but very few of the old regulars are left and there are a couple of
people there now who seem to have serious behavioral issues.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

roxan wrote:

Gee, I never had a problem there either. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Roxan
. ..