sewing machine prices?

Old November 14th 03, 02:06 AM
SewStorm

Do the math. For example, we know that blank cds can be purchased in bulk
for 15-25 cents each. Why is a recorded disk $15? Who do you think gets the
profit? The vocalist? The songwriter? No, the record company.

Uh, excuse me for pointing this out, but you do NOT purchase CDs directly from
a record company. You generally purchase them from a music store, who obviously
has more expenses than just that CD (which is more than likely marked up
anywhere from 75-100% of wholesale). The retailer has expenses galore, ranging
from rent, electricity, phone, ads, employees, health benefits, taxes, taxes,
taxes, store fixtures, secutiry, mall surcharge, and credit card and bank fees.

The manufacturer has additional expenses from the actual CD, as well:
packaging, printing, merchandising, shipping (from the plant, to the printer,
to the assembly, etc), employee salaries, benefits, taxes, plant costs, and so
on.

And since this IS still a "free" country, every single company has the right to
make a profit, just as you have a right to bring home a paycheck.

Sheesh.
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old November 14th 03, 02:35 AM
CW

Happens all the time. lots of people these days take great pride in being
able to screw the other guy.

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Actually, what I see happen all the time -- not just in sewing machines
but in lots of other things -- is that people take hours of the
full-price sellers' time to collect information and all and then go buy
it on the internet, usually smirking about what a good deal they got and
how they managed to do all their research for free. Well, it wasn't
*really* free -- it's just that someone else has to pay for it.

I guess I have a sensitive conscience, because to me that feels like
stealing.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old November 14th 03, 03:04 AM
Kate Dicey

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

Robyn wrote:

that a reason to put restrictions on retailers? If people really felt
there was a huge value-add that came from buying locally, then they
would disregard the good deals they can find on the internet and buy
locally.

Actually, what I see happen all the time -- not just in sewing machines
but in lots of other things -- is that people take hours of the
full-price sellers' time to collect information and all and then go buy
it on the internet, usually smirking about what a good deal they got and
how they managed to do all their research for free. Well, it wasn't
*really* free -- it's just that someone else has to pay for it.

I guess I have a sensitive conscience, because to me that feels like
stealing.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Pricing policy must be very odd in the USA. Here I can get the same
machine for the same price from either an on-line seller, or my local
store. The places that pile stuff high and sell cheap do not seem to
sell the TOTL machines. Whwn I bought my two, I bought in the local
store, paid £300 less for one and £200 less for the other than the list
price, AND got free finance, and I get all the help and advice I need.
At the time I bought them, this was the best deal in the country, from a
small local shop. I get the machinery serviced regularly, as I tend to
use it a lot.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 14th 03, 04:23 AM
Pat

Kate, you are right......it is odd........but it is because it is so
terribly competitive, I think. I did not waste anybody's time.........I did
my research myself......no dealer demo involved....so I don't feel at all
guilty about my on-line purchase.......

Old November 14th 03, 06:59 AM
CW

Averages are though.

All generalities are unreliable. ;-)

--

Joanne
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old November 14th 03, 02:14 PM
joy beeson

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:20:20 -0800, "Penny S"
wrote:

Fabric... take cotton.

Infinite mark-up -- after all, sunlight and carbon dioxide
are free.

Joy Beeson (gd&r)
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old November 14th 03, 04:07 PM
Kate Dicey

Pat wrote:

Kate, you are right......it is odd........but it is because it is so
terribly competitive, I think. I did not waste anybody's time.........I did
my research myself......no dealer demo involved....so I don't feel at all
guilty about my on-line purchase.......

I did mine all over the place as we didn't have an internet connection
in those days. I rang the company HQ's here in the UK and got brochures
sent, I tried the machines where I saw them (quite a few at the NEC in
Birmingham, at a national show), and I told every dealer I wasn't going
to purchase TODAY, I wanted information so I could make an informed
decision. I based my budget on the Recommended Retail Price ('list'
price), and then on the day found I had a great offer and a finance deal
I couldn't find cheaper elsewhere! And I did ring a number of other
shops elsewhere in the country to see. I could have got a very similar
deal for a Bernina or a Pfaff at the same time.

If I'd chosen a Janome, I'd have bought it from a different shop as the
shop I bought the HV's from didn't do Janomes. Unfortunately, I hated
them, so bought the HV's, which I love. It was a close run thing
between Bernina, Husqvarna, and Toyota! There was precious little to
choose between the first two, and the quality of the Toyotas was
surprisingly good for the price. In the end they lost out because I
thought I'd 'grow out of them' sooner, and the ones I bought made better
economic sense long term.
Old November 15th 03, 01:12 AM
CW

Of course it just cultivates itself, picks itself, cleans itself, dyes
itself, spins itself into cloth and when it is done doing all that, it walks
itself to market and jumps up on the shelf to be sold. Pretty talented
material.

Old November 15th 03, 06:56 PM
Warrior_13

Apparenly CW thinks we still manufacture textiles on a large scale in USA.
That's why all the top designer (expensive) names have their clothes made in
third world countries, where the entire garment, including the cultivation,
picking, dyeing, spinning, and sewing is done for pennies. Read the labels.
Made in Bangledesh (Ralph Lauren) for example. Sells for $75, costs $2.00.

Old November 15th 03, 08:20 PM
CW

You really are an idiot aren't you? I thought you were just acting. The
country of origen has nothing to do with what it takes to make something.
Pull your head out of your butt for a while. You will start thinking
clearer.

wrote:

Fabric... take cotton.

Infinite mark-up -- after all, sunlight and carbon dioxide
are free.

Joy Beeson (gd&r)
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange
joy beeson at earthlink dot net

What does the country of origin have to do with what it takes to make

something?