Shock cord

Old February 28th 04, 07:07 AM
Gavin Meldrum

Default Shock cord

Excuse me if this is a well worn question - I just came across this
newsgroup.
I have shockcord which I want to join into small loops either with a knot or
splice - does any one have any elegant solutions to this? I'd prefer not to
use metal splicing gear if poss.

Ta

Gav

Old February 29th 04, 12:00 AM
roo

Surprisingly, the question isn't asked that often.

I'll assume you're talking about making slings. If so, you can try a
Zeppelin Bend (Rosendahl Bend) to join the ends:

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/Zeppelin.html

It tends to resist the slither problem that most other knots encounter
with shock cord.

If, on the other hand, you were looking for an end loop, you can also
tie the Zeppelin in that configuration:

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/zeppelinloop.html

Let the group know if that isn't satisfactory.

Cheers,
roo

Old March 3rd 04, 08:33 PM
ben

(roo) wrote in message ...
Surprisingly, the question isn't asked that often.
I have shockcord which I want to join into small loops

does any one have any elegant solutions to this?

hi gavin,

I use some chock cord on my small sailing boat
first I knot it with standard knots and when it works fine,
I make definite/ final seizings.
(a small one with dental floss actually)

to give you an idea:
http://www.64thseascouts.org.uk/Seam...g.htm#Seizings

may be the 'throat seizing' is what you need for "join into small
loops"?
(no instructions there)
I see "seizing" is not just Dutch jargon; I did not realize that this
is an international term

for what it is worth:
my standard knot with chock cord is a noose
( is that a barrel knot? like in a multiple fisherman's bend;
in: http://www.realknots.com/knots/noose.htm
it is called strangle snare or scaffold knot )

I test it by stretching the cord far more than it ever will when in
use
a bit to my surprise: chock cord seems to behave as rope does with
knots and seizings.
as a result I started using chock cord for other applications too

I hope others will show up with more experience or real test data;
since this is not much to go on
(indeed, a good question)

see:
http://www.fishing.sh/htmfiles/knots/cordloop.html
for a more critical use, and their solutions;
in their application chock cord is abused more than I do

may be you like seizings as an "elegant solution"
and not knots,

ben

Cord for lampwork beads Christina Peterson Beads 65 January 16th 05 08:56 PM
Buna Cord Question Jill Beads 8 October 22nd 04 11:55 PM
Freak Accident at Wally World *or* Praises for Waxed Linen Cord OTish Candace Beads 36 May 27th 04 05:18 AM
Hemp Cord Protective Coating?? ~*~ Zinderellie ~*~ Beads 2 October 26th 03 08:56 PM
Braided Leather Cord mkahogan Beads 0 July 2nd 03 03:11 PM