Bronze compostion

Old April 10th 04, 01:44 AM
Amjad96

Default Bronze compostion

I need to make bronze wire, but I do not have easy access to premade bronze
alloys. If someone has the composition for bronze that I can cast to make bars
and draw wires out of, I would appreciate receiving the fromulas. I need a
reddish yellow color of bronze.

Thanks
Old April 10th 04, 06:46 AM
Heinrich Butschal

Amjad96 wrote:
I need to make bronze wire, but I do not have easy access to premade bronze
alloys. If someone has the composition for bronze that I can cast to make bars
and draw wires out of, I would appreciate receiving the fromulas. I need a
reddish yellow color of bronze.

Thanks

Normally bronze is hard and not usable to make wires of it. I suggest
Aluminiumbronze. We use it for samples in jewels. It is smooth and easy
to treat.
For gold-colour 93-94 % Copper and Aluminium. If You like to get it
harder, add some tin (1%).
For reddish colour take 95-96 % Copper and less Aluminium.

Good luck
Heinrich Butschal
--
www.juwelen.online-boerse.org
www.meister-atelier.de
Old April 10th 04, 05:11 PM
ted.frater

You will need to be much more specific.
Do you want a wire that has the bronze colour?
or do you want a wire that has the physical qualities of traditional
bronze?
Please describe what exactly you want to do with this wire?
If you will post your requirements to this news group ill be happy to
help you.
Ive worked as a bronze age smith here in the UK. I have this material
in wire form here as well as other like coloured copper alloys.
I await your reply.
Ted Frater
Dorset UK.
Old April 11th 04, 04:38 AM
Heinrich Butschal

Amjad96 wrote:

It does not have to be bronze, the main things I am looking for is a reddish
color metal that can be drawn into wire and does not tarnish easily.

Less tarnish You get with zinc additives (to Copper), however also a
yellow colour.

Best wishes and experiments.
Heinrich Butschal

Old April 11th 04, 08:53 AM
Abrasha

Amjad96 wrote:

I need to make bronze wire, but I do not have easy access to premade bronze
alloys. If someone has the composition for bronze that I can cast to make bars
and draw wires out of, I would appreciate receiving the fromulas. I need a
reddish yellow color of bronze.

Thanks

Check out Page 3426 in the McMaster Carr catalogue (http://www.mcmaster.com/),
for various bronze compositions.

None of which you will be able to make in the home shop.

BTW, they and other suppliers will ship almost anywhere.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old April 11th 04, 06:06 PM
ted.frater

OK, theres no problem getting the colour you want in a copper zinc
alloy. You need to look for the following
95 % cu and 5% zn.or any similar mix of these 2 metals up to 85% cu
15%zn. the latter is a buttery yellow.
However they do tarnish like copper or brass. theres no base metal
alloy that doesnt tarnish in the colour you want.
A 90/10 cu/aluminium is a light yellow but doesnt tarnish easily. To
silver solder it you need a special flux .
Not what you want I think.
It depends on what you want to use it for. If its for jewellery to be
worn in a hot or humid climate forget it. It will give you nothing but
customer complaints. If its a decorative piece then you can clear coat
it with a lacquer. this will retard tarnishing till the coating breaks
down, as it will in time.
It finally depends on the product and its marketing price. wether its
worth going to all that kind of trouble.
Old April 13th 04, 03:06 AM
Joe Sixpack

For small quantities I've been having some amount of sucess with using
pre 1982 US pennies, about 95%Cu and 5%Sn IIRC. Three seems to be the
correct to melt into a wire mould and draw, but drawing is somewhat of a
pain, more than usual.
The wire tarnishes as easily as copper but melts and works more easily
and can easily be soldered, if you don't mind a different colored joint
with sterling silver wire.
Aaron

Brass or Bronze? Liam Glass 2 August 20th 07 03:05 AM
Bronze Foil Black Cat Beads Beads 9 April 18th 04 08:06 AM
An Easy Way to Bronze Baby Shoes. CrossKit Beads 3 January 27th 04 05:47 PM