OT I'm finally retired!!

Old August 11th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

Default OT I'm finally retired!!

I've been the director of a food pantry for 20 years and I passed the
torch today. I took the new lady to the bank and put her name on the
accounts, nice and official like. Yippee!!! No more weekly shopping
trips, 4 full grocery carts at a time, no more monthly inventory for the
government, no more school food drives to pick up, etc., etc. I'm still
floating on a cloud.

I didn't think it would happen today and I haven't had anyone to tell
yet. I announced my upcoming retirement to the church 2 months ago and
I really doubted that anyone would take this job, it's 12 to 15 hours a
week, volunteer. But this really nice younger woman, whom I had never
met, stepped up and she's going to be great. I couldn't have asked for
a better replacement, so I feel a lot better about leaving.

I told her that I would return for a few weeks this fall to get her
through her first Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons.

I've been sort of crying since I got home, partly because I'm going to
miss my long term clients, and partly because I'm so relieved to be
done. It's bittersweet.

I don't think it will hit me for a few days. There's only the two of us
here at home so I can go a month without having to shop for us. I have
spent every Monday for 20 years at Wal-Mart and the Dollar stores
shopping for the pantry. Next Monday morning I will get up early, leave
my pajamas on and tell the puppies, "Mama's staying home today, yahoo!!

I'm excited, can you tell?

Denise

Old August 11th 09, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

A HUGE well done to you Denise. That is a wonderful achievement, and
you richly deserve your retirement. Naturally you are upset - it has
been an important part of your life. You have made a valuable
contribution to the welfare of those less fortunate than many of us.
You may never know how much your actions changed the lives of others for
the better - gave them a lift which enabled them to go forward, perhaps.
Terrific!
..
In message , Denise
in NH writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 11th 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I am HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY for you!
Barbara in SC, but on vacation in FL

Old August 11th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Pat's response is perfect! So I'd like to add a hearty "ditto"! Well
done!!!!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Patti" wrote in message
A HUGE well done to you Denise. That is a wonderful achievement, and you
richly deserve your retirement. Naturally you are upset - it has been an
important part of your life. You have made a valuable contribution to the
welfare of those less fortunate than many of us. You may never know how
much your actions changed the lives of others for the better - gave them a
lift which enabled them to go forward, perhaps. Terrific!
.
In message , Denise in
NH writes

Old August 11th 09, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I am too, Denise. Congratulations and warm best wishes and all that. It is
indeed bittersweet even when you can pass the banner on to someone
well-qualified. So Happy for you. Polly

"Bobbie Sews More" wroteI am HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY for you!
Barbara in SC, but on vacation in FL

Old August 11th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Wow! Congratulations for so much work you have done for many years. I can't
even imagine
how many folks you must have helped. How great it is that you found a
capable and willing replacement. Enjoy your retirement, you deserve it!
Taria

Old August 12th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

YEEEEEEEHAAWWWWW!
Congrats to you,Denise!!!! Job well done!

you know, i was reading our posts from the last roll call and came
across yours (amoung others)
and couldn't help thinking "I wonder if she still does that food
pantry thing?" Isn't that weird I should see
that?

Just think of all the free time you'll have to quilt now!!!

i'm sooo jealous. JK! have fun!
amy in CNY
Old August 12th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
turtle

Denise in NH wrote:
[...]

From everyone who has ever been down - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK
YOU!!!!! for your long service. I hope you enjoy your Monday in PJs
very much. And thanks, too, for reminding us all - I will make a
donation to the local food bank in your honor.
Turtle
Old August 12th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_6_]

What wonderful news, Denise! I know you really had a passion for the food
pantry, but I can definitely understand what a sense of freedom you're going
to have when it hits you that you don't have the responsibility any longer.
You've done a great job for the past 20 years, and you're leaving it in good
hands. Congrats and enjoy!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old August 12th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Sounds good! Always best to leave a volunteer job before you become
burned out. And if you miss it a lot, maybe your replacement would
actually enjoy having you drop in one day a week. (You'd need to
figure out if she felt uncomfortable or not.)
Roberta in D

I retired today DQLTS Quilting 25 October 2nd 06 03:23 AM
molds from retired relative Creeker Pottery 7 January 13th 05 07:53 PM
WIPs finally finished & pictures finally posted!~ Terbear Quilting 5 January 8th 05 03:02 AM
retired floss Mitch Needlework 11 March 17th 04 03:16 AM
Stampin' UP Retired set! Jan and Ron Rubberstamps 0 November 12th 03 05:36 PM