when do you decorate xmas

Old December 1st 03, 03:00 PM
emer

Default when do you decorate xmas

Haing sorted out the type of tree when do you start decorating for
christmas. I do it on or around the 8th of December, we always were
off school on that day and my Mum let us get the stuff down from the
attic and start.

Emer.
Old December 1st 03, 03:02 PM
Brenda Lewis

DH always starts over Thanksgiving weekend. When I lived alone, I
decorated whenever I felt like it and had the time. It took even longer
for me to feel like putting away decorations then.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar

Old December 1st 03, 03:29 PM
gdmack

the girls and I decorate the tree in time for the oldest birthday (Dec 13)
and take it down after the youngest bday (Jan 5).. DH is currently out of
country, not that he helps much anyway!! So might put it up sooner. aftera
few more ornaments are made.

Donna in SC

Old December 1st 03, 03:15 PM
Gillian Murray

That is a contentious question in our household. Once Thanksgiving is over
MIL starts asking when we willl decorate. Given my druthers, I would like to
do it about a week before Christmas, and then take it down on New Years Day.
DH goes with the flow. I remember my mother doing the decorating a week
before the big day, then it was always taken down on Twelfth Night......Jan
6th. Two weeks of all that clutter is all I can take anymore; if I had my
way, I would just have a small tree, forget all the garland and wreath
stuff, and put up some neat things, like a Christmas Village. However an 87
yr old MIL is rather like a 7 year old kid, and likes all the lights and
glitter!!

Gillian the Grinch.

om...

Old December 1st 03, 04:16 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Wreath goes up the day the Boy Scouts deliver it! anything else - not
really!
Cheryl

On 12/1/03 10:15 AM, in article
, "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

That is a contentious question in our household. Once Thanksgiving is over
MIL starts asking when we willl decorate. Given my druthers, I would like to
do it about a week before Christmas, and then take it down on New Years Day.
DH goes with the flow. I remember my mother doing the decorating a week
before the big day, then it was always taken down on Twelfth Night......Jan
6th. Two weeks of all that clutter is all I can take anymore; if I had my
way, I would just have a small tree, forget all the garland and wreath
stuff, and put up some neat things, like a Christmas Village. However an 87
yr old MIL is rather like a 7 year old kid, and likes all the lights and
glitter!!

Gillian the Grinch.

om...

Old December 2nd 03, 01:16 AM
Liz Hampton

Since I now have a sister living in England (in Warfield, Berkshire), I was
wondering the same thing. Here in the US, at least in my experience (I'm
48), Christmas Season "officially" starts with the appearance of Santa at
the end of the Thanksgiving Day parade. Our tree would usually go up around
the 15th of Dec. and come down sometime around New Years Day.

Since people in England obviously don't celebrate Thanksgiving, when do they
usually start the Christmas season? I don't mean when the STORES start
putting things out, I mean when does the general public pull out their
Christmas music & decorations?

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a procrastinator this year. My Christmas
decorations didn't get put away until February (the tree came down much
earlier) :-) and my Halloween decorations are still up. :-)))))

Liz from Humbug

Old December 2nd 03, 05:33 PM
Hollis

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message k.net...
That is a contentious question in our household. Once Thanksgiving is over
MIL starts asking when we willl decorate. Given my druthers, I would like to
do it about a week before Christmas, and then take it down on New Years Day.
DH goes with the flow. I remember my mother doing the decorating a week
before the big day, then it was always taken down on Twelfth Night......Jan
6th. Two weeks of all that clutter is all I can take anymore; if I had my
way, I would just have a small tree, forget all the garland and wreath
stuff, and put up some neat things, like a Christmas Village. However an 87
yr old MIL is rather like a 7 year old kid, and likes all the lights and
glitter!!

Gillian the Grinch.

If you're a grinch, what am I?
I dread doing ANY decorating for Christmas. We never have anyone over
and it's just to much muss and fuss... I have a hard enough time
keeping up with the dog hair and hubby toys!

Every year we do the annual debate... get a tree or not? I do like
having a tree at Christmas time (a REAL one), but don't enjoy the 4
hours it takes to put on all the lights and hubby's extensive glass
ornament collection. Then I have to remember to water the thing every
day. Then I'm usually the one who ends up taking every off it 'round
about Jan 15th.

There was one year we kept putting off taking the tree down and I
ended up having to de-decorate it and take it to the curb on my own
(hubby was out of town for work). What a nightmare! The de-decorating
went fine, but when I heaved the tree down the stairs to go out the
door I forgot about the ceiling fan. And ... well the dang tree was so
dry I got needles EVERYWHERE! And now I know that your average vaccuum
isn't powerful enough to pick up pine needles without some effort.

Then there was the year our beloved dog, Max decided pine needles were
a tasty treat. We didn't know he had tried to eat any until we woke up
one night and the hubby moved his hand to pet Max (who sleeps on the
bed with us) and put it straight into a huge pool of drool. Whenever
Max was moving about he was drooling ... more than he had ever drooled
before. But, otherwise he acted perfectly normal ... eating, going for
walks, playing, pottying, drinking etc. After about a day and a half
of drooling off we went to the vet. His diagnosis? "Oh, he's probably
got a pine needle stuck. It'll work itself out. And if it hasn't after
a couple weeks, we'll have to do some surgery." A COUPLE WEEKS? Did I
mention how much that drool stank? The needle finally worked itself
out about a day later... whew!

Other than the tree... the hubby likes to put lights up outside but
after nearly burning down the house last year (inadequate outlet for
the number of lights) I think we might pass this year. I'd be
satisfied with a wreath on the door, stockings for the 3 of us over
the fireplace and MAYBE electric candles in the windows. I am
definately NOT my mother in this regard. She puts up a tree in every
room of her house -- top count so far was 14 trees (some artificial,
some real, everything from a 7 ft "live" tree to a 4 ft bare branch
tree to a little gumdrop tree). My contribution is the Santas I stitch
for her -- 20 so far -- one or two a year. And those are up year
round!

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/max...ster/my_photos
(look in the Cross-stitch album)

I used to be such a Christmas freak... then I learned how much work it
can be. I still try to celebrate St. Nicholas Day (Dec 6th) with
little gifts in the boy's stockings and St. Lucia Day (Dec 13th) with
breakfast in bed. You'd think I'd be more into it with a name like
Holly Noelle! (I was born in June by the way -- my parents have never
given me a real explanation on why I was named this)

---
Holly K.
www.tortpro.net
current WIPs: http://www.tortpro.net/cross-stitch/cross-stitch.html
Old December 1st 03, 03:38 PM
georg

emer wrote:

Haing sorted out the type of tree when do you start decorating for
christmas. I do it on or around the 8th of December, we always were
off school on that day and my Mum let us get the stuff down from the
attic and start.

Emer.

We put up the kissmoose lights yesterday. Other than more and more
lights, that's all the decorating we intend to do.

Anything else is just a cat toy.

-georg

Old December 1st 03, 04:14 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Usually start getting stuff down from the attic about Dec 5-15th, but
the tree doesn't happen until the 23rd at the earliest...and stays up
until Jan 6th (though sometimes the 5th is close enough, depending on
what family schedule is like, what date falls on a weekend, etc.) if
it's a "cut" tree. If it's a "bag and ball" (i.e., live) tree it's only
in the 24th to 28th. But we're running out of space to plant 'em!

Sue