Help! my popcorn popped in the heating pad

Old September 23rd 05, 05:29 PM
craftnewbie craftnewbie is offline
Junior Member

Default Help! my popcorn popped in the heating pad

I'm making heating pads for christmas gifts and I purchased whole kernel deer corn. However .... when I tried to microwave my creation, it sounded like the corn popped! Does this normally happen the first time you heat these bags? Is there a way to treat the corn so it doesn't pop? What am I doing wrong? Also, is there a specific brand name corn that crafters use? Thanks

Craft Newbie

Last edited by craftnewbie : September 23rd 05 at 05:32 PM. Reason: adding question

Old September 24th 05, 01:36 AM
joy beeson

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:29:09 +0100, craftnewbie
wrote:

I'm making heating pads for christmas gifts and I purchased whole kernel
deer corn. However .... when I tried to microwave my creation, it
sounded like the corn popped! Does this normally happen the first time
you heat these bags? Is there a way to treat the corn so it doesn't
pop? What am I doing wrong?

I put popcorn in mine, and it didn't pop. When I washed the
cover, I found a couple of kernels that had expanded just a
tiny bit, and picked them out. (Also tossed the corn in a
strainer to make sure it wasn't dusty.)

Perhaps the deer corn was a bit damp. Whatever, being
puffed shouldn't hurt it any as a heating pad. If it
worries you, microwave a sample in a cup before making the
bag. You can reject the batch, pick out kernels that pop,
or allow for expansion when you measure your corn.

Also, is there a specific brand name corn
that crafters use?

Any sort of seed will work. I'd avoid those that give off
oil when heated.

The cheapest brand of white rice in your store is as good as
any seed for making microwave bags, and would be less lumpy
than corn. I used popcorn because I had some that wasn't
fit to eat.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbeeson59...HSEW/ROUGH.HTM

Old September 24th 05, 02:55 AM
CypSew

I use the least expensive rice I can find, most times less than $1.00 for 2
pounds, which is the amount I've always used in each bag. I gave some to
two aunts for Christmas in 1999 and they are still in use. The little note
I attached to each said they should microwave it for 2 minutes to use; and
once a month or so, put a cup of water in the microwave with it for a couple
minutes to keep the rice from becoming brittle.
Emily

Old September 24th 05, 11:56 PM
Miss-G-

I use wheat for mine, I get it from the pet food section at the supermarket.
It smells nice when microwaved!

Cheers,
Katy

Old September 26th 05, 04:05 AM
CypSew

I never use any fragrance in ones I make, allergies, you know. However, I
know people who add something to theirs, lavender seems to be popular.
Emily

Old September 26th 05, 09:41 PM
Bobbie Sews Moore

Hi Cy, did you have very much wind/rain the past few days? I was concerned.
Barbara in SC

Old September 27th 05, 02:56 AM
Kathy Morgan

craftnewbie wrote:

I'm making heating pads for christmas gifts and I purchased whole kernel
deer corn. However .... when I tried to microwave my creation, it
sounded like the corn popped! Does this normally happen the first time
you heat these bags? Is there a way to treat the corn so it doesn't
pop? What am I doing wrong? Also, is there a specific brand name corn
that crafters use? Thanks

If you prefer to use corn (like most of the other respondents here, I
use the cheapest rice I can find), you could use cracked corn, available
in feed stores or pet shops. It's used as feed for some kind of farm
animal and for large birds. Being cracked (very coarsly ground), it
can't pop.

--
Kathy - help for new users at http://www.aptalaska.net/~kmorgan/
Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval at http://www.gnksa.org/
Old September 27th 05, 04:29 AM
CypSew

Very little of both, we could have used more of the rain predicted, but
instead we got about 1/2 to 2/3 of one inch. The winds were strong
sometimes, but we have seen worse in thunderstorms. We stocked up on
necessities and planned from the beginning to ride out the storm. I suppose
you saw the evacuation crowds and I didn't intend to be caught up in that.
We didn't lose power, or cable, except the cable was off a couple hours
Sunday. Besides, I am so excited because my family in SC will increase in
late spring, but more about that later.
Emily

Old September 28th 05, 12:24 AM
Valkyrie

"Kathy Morgan" wrote in message
If you prefer to use corn (like most of the other respondents here, I
use the cheapest rice I can find), you could use cracked corn, available
in feed stores or pet shops. It's used as feed for some kind of farm
animal and for large birds. Being cracked (very coarsly ground), it
can't pop.

I used the cheapest rice I could find as well. I got a 40lb bag at Costco
for about $5 years ago and I'm still using it. I add a few dried fragrant
herbs to my rice bags, usually lavender and mint, and it makes it very nice.
I made 2 rice bags out of full sized pillowcases in 1993, after I had my
legs and feet trashed in an accident, and I'm still using them. One trick I
did learn, if you are living in a place that is prone to weevils and little
critters in grains all you need to do is toss a few bay leaves in the
container you store your rice in and they leave it alone. I use the 5 gallon
plastic buckets with snap on lid. The constant nuking will take care of
those that decide to get into a rice bag.

Val