HUG Quilts

Old October 18th 14, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default HUG Quilts

I do not get this group like I used to, but still check it every day whenever possible.

Like others have stated, I don't do Facebook. And like others have stated, seems like things go in cycles/circles. I wonder whatever happened to the HUG quilt for Gabby Gifford after she was shot? And others that we never heard about.

I don't mind doing a HUG block when called on. I have participated in many, and headed up or presented about 4 of our HUGS.

Ginger in CA
[good email to reply is ]

On Friday, October 17, 2014 8:33:43 AM UTC-7, pat on the green wrote:
On 17/10/2014 16:14, Taria wrote:

I think a lot of things have changed since people can't get this group

and folks don't want to go to FB.

Taria

I've never talked on Facebook about this quilting group, so the answer

is no I haven't asked on FB. Maybe the whole thing has been dropped

becuz of no interest anymore - it seems that way as no one but Cindy and

you Janner have shown any interest in my post.

Sharon (N.B.)

I did reply after Cindy's post Sharon; but it didn't show up here,

because I hit the 'reply' key instead of 'follow up'. Sorry.

I wondered if it might be that sending blocks or cards etc to anyone in

need of a Hug has taken the full quilt's place. Many not good things

had happened to some of those quilts over the many years I have been on

RCTQ. I investigated the whereabouts of missing Hug quilts some years

ago ...

Pat on the green

Old October 18th 14, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!
Thanks, Bobby!
The Hugs, the beans & the tortillas are all good!
Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

On 10/17/14 6:24 PM, in article , "Bobbie
Sews More" wrote:

"Sandy E" wrote in message news
Howdy!
Where-oh-Where-did-the-hugs-quilts-go?
I still make Hug Quilts, for distribution around here. Often, it's a soft
flannel quilt for a cancer patient; sometimes a fun little number for a new
baby or his big brother.
But RCTQ Hugs-... seems they kind of got out of hand. Someone we didn't
know was asking for a quilt for someone else we didn't know, no thanks were
ever given or Finished project reported on, and the Hug movement kind of
moved on. Too bad, but, then, many of the folks from this group moved on,
too. Things seem to go in cycles.
If, Sharon, you'd like to get another project started, please do.
Here &/or on FaceBook, we can play, see pics somewhere, share the Hugs from
the Hugs.
Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy - cooking the pinto beans for supper...got cornbread?

Hey Sandy, it's a little late, but I can have a pone of cornbread ready in
30 minutes! But I think it might get cold by the time I get there!
Barbara, used to be in SC but now in FL

Old October 19th 14, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Woohoo to cool weather food. We had beans and cornbread last week too.
We are really tired of hot weather here and ready for coolness to take hold.
Nice to see you all posting a bit!
Taria

Old October 19th 14, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

On Friday, October 17, 2014 10:27:32 PM UTC-3, wrote:
[...]

Hi Everyone - it is sad for sure whatever happened to some of the HUG quilts - I remember sending a finished baby quilt to some lady - can't remember where - who was I think burned out of her home and had a load of kids - also sent blocks for this one - and like someone said - never got a thank you. I guess con artists are everywhere - not a nice thing to realize. I too participated in so many HUGs and just loved doing it thinking how delighted the receiver would be when it was presented. Of course the HUG quilt for the Gifford lady stood out and it would be really nice to see what happened to that project. A few years back a few friends and I contributed to one here in Canada - it was for fallen mounties - we had a choice of I believe two designs for the blocks - we were totally committed to that project, but again got not one thank you - the quilts were posted on the website of that quilter, but none of our blocks were in them - very disappointing. I'm sure none of us are in it for the accolades but it sure would be nice to at least acknowledge you got the blocks or the quilts. Oh well, our hearts were all in the right place. Love this group.
Sharon (N.B.)
Old November 10th 14, 08:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

Thanks very much for this, Kate.
It makes the position very clear; and I'm sure everyone understands the
increasingly difficult financial circumstances these days.
As long as the original thinking behind Hugs remains, the form by which
the caring is shown is not as important. I feel awkward saying that, as
I was the blessed recipient of a beautiful Hug quilt; but I do believe
the thinking behind the Hug is the most important aspect.

Pat on the green
..
On 10/11/2014 02:36, Kate in MI wrote:
I still keep the HUG list and am happy to send out a request when asked.

What happened people would suggest a HUG for someone (even someone we
might know)... but no one was willing to step up and manage it, provide
the batting, backing and quilting. So while the interest was there to
send the HUG message (you are cared about...) getting the logistics set
up just wasn't happening. (I'm sure part of it was the rising cost of
cotton fabrics...).

So in lieu of doing nothing, we started doing alternative HUGS. Seed
packets, greeting cards, small general squishies, blocks, ....

In the past 2 years -- less than 5 requests were even suggested. We
sent blocks with congratulatory messages for Steven of Alaska when he
was married; we sent blocks to another recipient lost her DH, we sent
scraps when someone's scrap stash was damaged due to flooding (I think
that is what happened).

So, if you know someone who is in need of a HUG and you wish to organize
it -- just let me know and we'll get the request out.

I hope this answers your questions.

Kate in MI