STOP!!!!

Old November 11th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Erin

Default STOP!!!!

On 10 Nov, 13:25, enigma wrote:

want some llama? i've discovered i'm getting nice workable
fiber just brushing them. really long staple (6") though, so
i dunno how it spins. i've been needle felting it.

Oh, that sounds so fantastic!!! One fine day I would LOVE to try
felting llama. Unfortunately, my calender is booked up until about my
50th birthday!

Erin
(with the 7 year long todo list!)

Old November 11th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

Erin wrote in
ups.com:

On 10 Nov, 13:25, enigma wrote:

want some llama? i've discovered i'm getting nice workable
fiber just brushing them. really long staple (6") though,
so i dunno how it spins. i've been needle felting it.

Oh, that sounds so fantastic!!! One fine day I would LOVE
to try felting llama. Unfortunately, my calender is booked
up until about my 50th birthday!
(with the 7 year long todo list!)

hmmm, don't i have your address? heh heh.
seriously, i'm working on a technique in needle felting that i
*think* ought to work, & would make needle felting objects
much easier, for me at least. it involves sewing cotton muslin
(calico) forms. so far it shows promise.
lee
Old November 13th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Taueret

check out http://ispindle.com/

Taueret

--
NSW, Australia
http://taueret.typepad.com

Anyone got any tips for someone learning to use a drop spindle?

Old November 19th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

It's the whorl which is weighed. Because we make them (that is, Spouse
makes them) for a wide variety of experience we do try to give the
spinner what s/he wants. One of our friends has Spouse make them without
any whorl, the spindle itself has a bulge (see pic link below) as well
as in a variety of usually polyphant whorls.

It looks like a spurtle, the Scot's porridge stirring stick. Which is
n't a criticism - it could be a multi purpose tool.

No, all the spurtles I've had and used have had a straight, thicker 'stem'
and a decoration of some king (*usually a thistle shape) at one end.

I have one just like your description, but I also had another that looked
quite similar to the spindle your husband made - it had a nondescript top
though - no thistle. In the end I used it as a dibber in the garden and
promptly lost the darned thing. Pity really as it worked well as a dibber.

Do you know where she gets the flax from? I can't get any in this
country and would like to try spinning some but need a source.

Have you Googled?

Yep. No luck for any local supplies and even the guild I belong to doesn't
seem to be able to buy any (or so they tell me anyway - prolly I am the only
one interested and they don't want to get stuck with a load of flax they
can't sell easily). Google seemed to "go off" about 2 years ago and for
some reason it seemed to fail to provide less useful hits.

It's not difficult to get here, I buy sliver by mail order
but for my wick I had a car full of tow samples given to me in Ireland.

Green with envy.

I was spinning at a party not long ago (I knew it'd be last for hours so
took my wheel). A very nice young man came up to me to chat and told me
about his friend who is 'the' world expert on Asian spinning whorls.

Sounded very interesting, but I did wonder how many years it had taken
her to become such an expert in such an arcane field.

I'd like to know who she is.

He did tell me but it was about 6 weeks ago and I'm notoriously bad with
names. I do remember that it was a female name, but beyond that I can't
recall. He was also not someone I know. It was a 'sort of' block party and
I've not even heard of the existence of the young chap before or the people
he came with.

At our silver wedding party - many years ago, a shepherd friend brought
his wheel and Spouse had his too, the sitting room was quiet with lots of
people watching and learning and practising. The dining room became louder
and louder according to the amount of champagne flowing.

Guess which room I was in!

I have a strong suspicion that you might have been in the dining room with
the wheel and the champagne glass.

Old November 19th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

"enigma" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
"enigma" wrote in message

i'm probably the last person to take advice from on drop
spindling, as i'm not very good, but...

Have you spun that mix I sent you yet?

no, it's right here in a basket next to my desk where i admire
it daily... (sooooooft!)

Well I can understand that. Stash is good (to some extent) but I have
decided that stash reduction is in order. I have decided that I really must
not buy another stash item till all half finished projects (and at least
some stash items [across all areas of interests]) are dealt with. So far
I've managed to stick to my resolve.

i think i'll go talk to Marci at the Elegant Ewe about a
private brush-up lesson on the wheel & spin it up this winter
though.

It was a Finn/cashmere mix I sent wasn't it?

you said you made socks with yours? what pattern? did you put
nylon in the heels & toes?

I never put nylon in the toes or heels but I always do a reinforced heel
flap of slip, knit, slip, knit etc on the knit row and then on the purl row,
slip the first stitch and then purl all stitches back. I just use the good
old Opal wool pattern of casting on 60 stitches (20 each of 3 needles) but
do the reinforced heel flap. Do you want the pattern?

lee currently knitting Lovkka mittens for the kid

Don't know them. What are Lovkka mittens?

Old November 19th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

"enigma" wrote in message

it was me it's a Finn/Cashmere. so so soft.

Ah! T'was what I thought.

Ignore question about mix Lee.

Old November 19th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in

..au:

"enigma" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
Have you spun that mix I sent you yet?

no, it's right here in a basket next to my desk where i
admire it daily... (sooooooft!)

Well I can understand that. Stash is good (to some extent)
but I have decided that stash reduction is in order. I
have decided that I really must not buy another stash item
till all half finished projects (and at least some stash
items [across all areas of interests]) are dealt with. So
far I've managed to stick to my resolve.

my yarn stash isn't horribly large. my bead stash OTOH...
i guess my fiber stash is a bit up there, as the llamas keep
needing shearing. i've been pawning it off on other folks
though.

It was a Finn/cashmere mix I sent wasn't it?

yes, it's so soft!

you said you made socks with yours? what pattern? did you
put nylon in the heels & toes?

I never put nylon in the toes or heels but I always do a
reinforced heel flap of slip, knit, slip, knit etc on the
knit row and then on the purl row, slip the first stitch
and then purl all stitches back. I just use the good old
Opal wool pattern of casting on 60 stitches (20 each of 3
needles) but do the reinforced heel flap. Do you want the
pattern?

that sounds like my basic sock. top down, 1x1 or 2x2 or 2x1
rib for a ways. i've never used nylon either. i just wondered
how well it helps with heel wear (less sloppy fitting boots
might help more). i like the knit, slip for heals. i sometimes
do it in stripes.

Don't know them. What are Lovkka mittens?

bulky wool, single ply, knit on fat needles (these are 9.0mm),
22 stitches around. they are knit large & fulled down, so they
are thick, warm & fairly water resistant. excellent for
snowball making.
lee
Old November 20th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

"enigma" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in

Well I can understand that. Stash is good (to some extent)
but I have decided that stash reduction is in order. I
have decided that I really must not buy another stash item
till all half finished projects (and at least some stash
items [across all areas of interests]) are dealt with. So
far I've managed to stick to my resolve.

my yarn stash isn't horribly large. my bead stash OTOH...
i guess my fiber stash is a bit up there, as the llamas keep
needing shearing. i've been pawning it off on other folks
though.

:-)) I was just given an alpaca fleece by a neighbour (along with a lot of
dog hair from her Mareema). I've spun some but decided that it simply has
to be washed before use and I've not had to do that before. I'm worried
about ending up with felt.

you said you made socks with yours? what pattern? did you
put nylon in the heels & toes?

I never put nylon in the toes or heels but I always do a
reinforced heel flap of slip, knit, slip, knit etc on the
knit row and then on the purl row, slip the first stitch
and then purl all stitches back. I just use the good old
Opal wool pattern of casting on 60 stitches (20 each of 3
needles) but do the reinforced heel flap. Do you want the
pattern?

that sounds like my basic sock. top down, 1x1 or 2x2 or 2x1
rib for a ways.

Don't think there is much difference in any sock basic sock pattern (except
perhaps for the prefered method of doing the heel) I no longer faff about
changing the way I do the heel but stick to the way that suits me.

i've never used nylon either. i just wondered
how well it helps with heel wear (less sloppy fitting boots
might help more). i like the knit, slip for heals. i sometimes
do it in stripes.

Yeah, or perhaps washing them carelessly so they felt a bit?

I've decided that the next time socks get holes, I'll try "The Twisted
Sister" reworking of the damaged bit.

Don't know them. What are Lovkka mittens?

bulky wool, single ply, knit on fat needles (these are 9.0mm),
22 stitches around. they are knit large & fulled down, so they
are thick, warm & fairly water resistant. excellent for
snowball making.

Sounds interesting but would be rather OTT for my climate - stinking hot
here at the moment. Dunno why I was looking forward to summer.

Let me know if you need more of the Finn/cahsmere mix.

Fran

Help! I can't stop!!! KJ Quilting 51 March 1st 07 03:13 AM
Somebody stop me!!! Dannielle Quilting 5 December 9th 06 01:22 PM
Somebody stop me ;) Padishar Creel Yarn 4 December 9th 06 01:09 AM