Single knot to a two-loop lanyard

Old April 17th 04, 03:29 AM
Ford and Mary Ann Walton

Default Single knot to a two-loop lanyard

Group,

The original thread seems to have died out, but here are three more
solutions to the problem of forming a non-slipping lanyard with a large
loop and a small loop, using a single knot.

1. Lay the rope in a flat S shape, with the ends overlapping 2 - 3
inches. Tie a single overhand knot in all 3 strands (both ends and the
center strand). Keep the strands even as the knot is tightened and the
result looks fairly symmetrical.

2. Tie an overhand knot in the center strand where you want the loops to
meet. Stick one end through the overhand from one side of the knot, and
the other through from the other (or tie a Tom Fool knot). You will
have one end and two long strands coming out of each side of the
overhand. Using each end, put a half hitch around both long strands as
they emerge from the overhand (one hitch on each side of the overhand).
Two wraps, as on a taut-line hitch is even better. Pull the loops so
the half hitches are snug against the central overhand. For symmetry,
make one half hitch to the left and one to the right. This may not
quite meet the "single knot" requirement, but many "single" knots are
formed of smaller interlocking components.

3. Tie an overhand knot as above, bring one end up through the overhand
and tie an interlocking overhand to form 2/3 of a Matthew Walker knot.
(Google for instructions on M.W.) Bring the other end down through the
top of the knot in an overhand knot, forming the third part of the
Matthew Walker. This may take some trial and error, but it would form a
single perfectly symmetrical knot.

Good luck,
Ford Walton
Old April 20th 04, 02:35 AM
Brian Grimley

Ford and Mary Ann Walton wrote:

. . . here are three more solutions . . .

1. Lay the rope in a flat S shape . . .

I'm good here!

2. . . . (or tie a Tom Fool knot) . . .

I'm very good here!

3. Tie an overhand knot as above, bring one end up through the overhand
and tie an interlocking overhand to form 2/3 of a Matthew Walker knot.
(Google for instructions on M.W.) Bring the other end down through the
top of the knot in an overhand knot, forming the third part of the
Matthew Walker. This may take some trial and error, but it would form a
single perfectly symmetrical knot.

I'm an absolute idiot here! Any other tips you can give would be appreciated!
The pin may fall after I hit the "Post message" button; but, I doubt it!

Thanks in advance for any additional help!

Brian.
Old April 26th 04, 01:53 AM
Imagine

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:29:02 -0400, Ford and Mary Ann Walton

Thanks for revisiting this issue.
Your solution #1 is charming in it's simplicity and efficacy.

Old April 27th 04, 12:06 AM
Ford and Mary Ann Walton

Brian,

I was a bit too terse with this idea. New directions: Make a bight in
the lanyard rope to form the large loop, and leave one end long enough
to form the small loop. Hold a second piece of similar rope alongside
the lanyard ends, so you have 3 strands sticking up. Tie a Matthew
Walker (or other 3 strand knot) in the strands, then, using the end of
the (longer) strand that will form the small loop, follow the second
(extra) piece of rope back down through the knot from top to bottom, and
remove the extra strand. To be really fancy, go for a star knot.

Ford Walton

Old April 27th 04, 01:06 AM
RigPilot

The *original request* was a neck lanyard with...one knot...two =
loops...one cord. What's with all the stuff about 2 or 3 cords...with 2 =
or 3 knots...hanging from a belt, etc.....

Even the original author drifted away from the original criteria.

From: Imagine )
Subject: What Kind of Knot Should I Use?=20
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.knots
Date: 2004-04-05 11:17:42 PST=20

Using a single strand of cord, about 4 feet long, I want to make a
lanyard. I want it to have a big loop to go around the neck, and a
small loop at the bottom. I want it to have only one knot, at the
juncture of the 2 loops. It would be nice if it was symmetrical,
and/or decorative. What kind of knot should I use?

"Ford and Mary Ann Walton" wrote in message =
Brian,
=20
I was a bit too terse with this idea. New directions: Make a bight in
the lanyard rope to form the large loop, and leave one end long enough
to form the small loop. Hold a second piece of similar rope alongside
the lanyard ends, so you have 3 strands sticking up. Tie a Matthew
Walker (or other 3 strand knot) in the strands, then, using the end of
the (longer) strand that will form the small loop, follow the second
(extra) piece of rope back down through the knot from top to bottom, =

and
remove the extra strand. To be really fancy, go for a star knot.
=20
Ford Walton
=20
=20
=20
=20

Gordian knot HAWKNFROG Knots 3 February 4th 05 05:58 PM
What Kind of Knot Should I Use? Imagine Knots 35 April 10th 04 04:11 AM
Bowline Knot Re-threaded Brian Grimley Knots 8 March 21st 04 04:21 PM
The Foole's Twist -- an improved handcuff knot O J Knots 0 February 7th 04 03:10 PM
water knot with rope ? [email protected] Knots 7 August 16th 03 11:16 PM