OT Designing embroidering private symbols

Old May 7th 04, 04:20 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default OT Designing embroidering private symbols

I am not sure How many of you make/use / fill [ at least some of your
work]with Symbols ,,, many probaly use `accepted` , traditional
symbols [ national flags, tree of life , crosses etc,,,, ] this is
very interesting in itself. I use the traditional ones , but at
times find i need to make my own symbols. [ or pictograms].
and other times i use a kind of Overall design that combines several
elements in my work , thus it is an Echo of the symbol i want to show
, the assocaiation i want to awake, in the looker`s mind .
mirjam
Old May 8th 04, 12:18 AM
Marjorie Holme

Hi, Mirjam: I occasionally use known symbols but frequently use things
that resonate with me that aren't universally recognizable. In the
quilt I made upon my mother's death, I uses four rivers of blue fabric
for her four children. Three have "life-lines" through them (the fourth
is for my brother who died after only a few days). And I used four
yellow circles as suns, with stitched rays, that move in and out of the
rivers for the grandkids. No one else seeing it would recognize the
meaning but it is very meaningful to me (and my family once I
explained). I like the idea of repeating and varying symbols like you
mention, and especially the concept of echoing... Marjorie

Old May 8th 04, 04:55 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you Marjorie.
I love the idea of Rivers as symbolizing the children , I am sorry you
lost a brother so young. and respect very much your ability to include
him in the quilt.
Rivers as chidren of your mother , show your mother [to me] as EVE the
mother of All life as written in the Torah ... What a beautiful
symbol, And this just what i meant about the general outlook being a
Great Symbol ..
May you enjoy your work many years.
mirjam

Old May 8th 04, 12:42 PM
Sally

No one else seeing it would recognize the
meaning but it is very meaningful to me (and my family once I
explained).

That's the part that makes needlwork "special". We put our hearts and
souls into the pieces - and why can't we make it something tactile
that we can go back to see. The first piece I ever did "just for
myself" was a sampler after my father died. It's nothing too special
- nothing earth shattering - but every time I look at it I think of
him and smile! After 9-11 I decided to start a Dear Jane, and as I
worked on the pieces, I'd note on the back what was occurring in the
world when i worked on each piece. Somehow I'm going to date those on
the quilt (once it gets finished - years from now - tee-hee), so that
I can look back. Even now it's interesting to look back at those and
see the good and the bad that was going on. I never thought about
adding in symbolism of my own into my works, but you may have just
inspired me!!!

Sally Rudkin
Stitchin'Spiration - a hobby gone wild ... or a dream come true!!!!
http://stores.ebay.com/Stitchinspiration