Kiln question

Old May 17th 04, 03:25 PM

Default Kiln question

Hello all,
I've read similar postings over the past few years, but I guess I didn't pay
attention to the answers well enough. I've got a kiln that I can't get into
my house. It's been on my front porch wrapped in plastic, lowering property
values for a year now, becasue I'm not sure what to do. I could get it into
my back porch and I'm trying to figure out the feasibility of putting it
there.

First, the back porch is a wooden structure, about 8 feet wide and 5 feet
deep, with the adjoining wall to the house being made of brick. I could run
the wiring through to this wall. The advantage, is of course that venting
would be easy, it's not actually in the house. Disadvantages, this is
Canada and it regularly goes to -20 or -30 in the winter. So, how realistic
is this, what kind of insulation would be required to deal with the fact
that it's made of wood, what kind of clearance from wooden walls is needed
to keep it safe? etc.

I know people have commented on similar questions in the past and I'm
wondering if you'd mind repeating your advice! Thanks in advance.
Simon

Old May 17th 04, 05:37 PM
Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

about 18" seperation. you could put up durock (cement board) to protect it.
don't forget the floor.

Old May 17th 04, 10:47 PM
annemarie

Do you have a garage? Having it outside could be a problem, the colder
temperatures could make it more difficult to reach your required temp. You
would be using much more electricity and even bunged it is making your kiln
work a lot harder. I am in New Zealand and have my kiln in my garage and
even here (moderate climate) I notice the kiln takes longer on a cold 10C
winters day. I close the garage doors and it does make a difference. Yes I
am in Wellington and wind is an issue sometimes.
Could you build a small shed to house it? Here in NZ anyway small garden
sheds are pretty cheap.
Good luck
Annemarie

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

.. .

Old May 17th 04, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the response. Yeah, sorry, back porch might be a regionalism -
it's an extension of the house at the back where all the garbage that
doesn't fit in the basement goes. It's totally closed off, has windows,
shares one wall and a door to the house, so probably isn't as cold as the
outside. Underneath it is the storm cellar - a few steps down to bare earth
that then opens into the basement. The only thing is that it isn't heated
or insulated. So it's probably even better than a garden shed in that
regard. Not sure how much extra electricity it would take to fire it up in
cold weather - it's a 7' cubic electric kiln, quite old, so probably takes a
lot to start with.
Simon
"annemarie" wrote in message
Do you have a garage? Having it outside could be a problem, the colder
temperatures could make it more difficult to reach your required temp. You
would be using much more electricity and even bunged it is making your

kiln
work a lot harder. I am in New Zealand and have my kiln in my garage and
even here (moderate climate) I notice the kiln takes longer on a cold 10C
winters day. I close the garage doors and it does make a difference. Yes

am in Wellington and wind is an issue sometimes.
Could you build a small shed to house it? Here in NZ anyway small garden
sheds are pretty cheap.
Good luck
Annemarie

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

.. .

Old May 18th 04, 07:13 AM
annemarie

wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for the response. Yeah, sorry, back porch might be a regionalism -
it's an extension of the house at the back where all the garbage that
doesn't fit in the basement goes. It's totally closed off, has windows,
shares one wall and a door to the house, so probably isn't as cold as the
outside. Underneath it is the storm cellar - a few steps down to bare

earth
that then opens into the basement. The only thing is that it isn't heated
or insulated. So it's probably even better than a garden shed in that
regard. Not sure how much extra electricity it would take to fire it up

in
cold weather - it's a 7' cubic electric kiln, quite old, so probably takes

lot to start with.
Simon

Well all I can say is that here in NZ it would be fine. With your
temperatures?? Yeah I am sure it will be ok but might just take a bit more
electricity and a little longer. You would have to compensate your firing
to take that into consideration. The cone reached is about heat work, not
temperature reached. So you can fire lower and soak for a while and it will
reach a higher cone. Thus if you just take longer to gain your temperature
it will also give more heat work. You would be wise to have cones in every
firing to see how the outside temperature was affecting your kiln.
Good luck
Annemarie

Old May 18th 04, 09:30 AM
Monika Schleidt

[...]

I live in Austria and we get pretty cold winters here, my kiln, also
about 7 cubic foot, is in a kind of leanto to my workshop (an old
pigsty), which has a roof and some walls, but no windows, just large
openings. So the kiln is practically outside. I fire it all year, it is
a pain to load it in winter, because it is so cold. My kiln has a
special button which tells me the kwh it uses for each firing, it uses
more, if there is more in it, but i have not noticed a difference
between winter and summer. If you think of how hot it fires, (i fire to
about 1100°C) i don't think those 20 or so degrees at the beginning
will make any difference to your electric bill.

Monika

--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik
(If you wish to send me a mail, please leave out the number after my name!)

Old May 18th 04, 10:38 PM
annemarie

"Monika Schleidt" wrote in message

[...]

Wow your kiln must be very well insulated. Mine is in that at high temps
the outside is warm but not hot, yet in winter it takes longer to reach
temp, just has to work harder I guess. We notice it at the art centre as
well and kilns there are in a fairly insulated buildling. They sure to warm
the room up.

Old May 21st 04, 03:11 PM
Kathryn & Stuart Fields

If you're in Northern Canada, the cold staying for weeks, have you
considered spray foam insulating the walls around the kiln area at least.
We use this in the Mojave desert (weeks of 120F and lots and lots of wind).
Makes a huge difference in our shop which is large enough so there is no
real heating or cooling available. Ours was done nearly 30 years ago and is
still working fine with no maintenance. Sorry, I don't know where my
husband got the material, he says it was from a private contractor. You
might check with any contractor in your area.

Kathy
. ..

"annemarie" wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Venting of Electric Kiln question?? Zander Pottery 10 February 5th 04 07:01 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:11 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
Kiln question Kalera Stratton Beads 13 July 11th 03 06:35 AM