Selling Machines

Old December 20th 04, 02:09 AM
ALZ

Default Selling Machines

I am considering selling some of my machines in order to buy a very
expensive emboidery machine. Is there a blue book of sewing machines
that would give me an idea of a starting point? The dealer wouldn't
take a trade in on brands he doesn't already sell.
Old December 20th 04, 03:46 AM
frood

I don't know of a blue book as such, but I've been watching eBay to see what
certain machines are going for. I'm going to be selling one or 2 of mine
after the new year.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old December 20th 04, 05:25 AM
Laurie G.

I just traded in my Pfaff, which had just blown a motherboard. The saleslady
looked up her value in the "blue book" and gave me that minus the
motherboard repair.

Laurie
m...

Old December 20th 04, 06:11 AM
Pati Cook

There used to be a sewing machine blue book, but the guy that published
it died. So there haven't been any for a few years. Any dealer that
has one probably guards it with his/her life. (I know mine does. but I
have seen it.)

Good luck
Pati, in Phx

Old December 20th 04, 01:03 PM
Polly Esther

There's not an easy answer, ALZ, just more things to consider. What is your
market area, are there dozens of people wanting to buy a SM from you and do
they, hopefully, have some $s maybe received as gifts? A friends of ours
makes and sells some lovely things but she has to take them to a better
selling place to get a fair price, as in New Orleans, Atlanta and Dallas.
And a minor suggestion - do you have a LQS with a bulletin board where you
could place a sale notice? Polly

ink.net...

Old December 20th 04, 02:57 PM
taria

I was out of town and Dh was cleaning the garage. Several sewing
machines were among the junk DH had spread about in his cleaning frenzy.
Some folks stopped by to see if they were for sale!
I know quilters who have bought and sold machines on Sew rummage with
good results. I used to sell on the Featherweight fanatics list. Ebay
has a lot of machines for sale. Selling there seems to be up and down.
Our local guild newsletter takes ads that sometimes work.
I seem to spend more time buying than selling sewing machines.
Taria

Polly Esther wrote:

There's not an easy answer, ALZ, just more things to consider. What is your
market area, are there dozens of people wanting to buy a SM from you and do
they, hopefully, have some $s maybe received as gifts? A friends of ours
makes and sells some lovely things but she has to take them to a better
selling place to get a fair price, as in New Orleans, Atlanta and Dallas.
And a minor suggestion - do you have a LQS with a bulletin board where you
could place a sale notice? Polly

ink.net...

Old December 20th 04, 04:47 PM
DrQuilter

must be. when I wantd to upgrade the sales lady mentioned the blue book
price....

ALZ wrote:
I am considering selling some of my machines in order to buy a very
expensive emboidery machine. Is there a blue book of sewing machines
that would give me an idea of a starting point? The dealer wouldn't
take a trade in on brands he doesn't already sell.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old December 20th 04, 07:03 PM
Julia Altshuler

ALZ wrote:
I am considering selling some of my machines in order to buy a very
expensive emboidery machine. Is there a blue book of sewing machines
that would give me an idea of a starting point? The dealer wouldn't
take a trade in on brands he doesn't already sell.

I googled on: "blue book" "sewing machine" selling price and found:

http://www.sewserg.com/products/abp07944-0094.html

I've never seen it or used it and don't know if it is what you're
looking for, but think it might help.

--Lia

Old December 20th 04, 10:20 PM
ALZ

Thanks for all the tips -- as I look at my machines, and think about
selling them, I'm backing off again. Most of them are Singer 99s or
66s, but I have one very old New Home Treadle and I don't think I can
bear to part with them. As a matter of fact, as I was perusing ebay to
get an idea of prices, I saw one or two I would have liked to bid on.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old December 22nd 04, 03:29 PM
Kate Dicey

ALZ wrote:

Thanks for all the tips -- as I look at my machines, and think about
selling them, I'm backing off again. Most of them are Singer 99s or
66s, but I have one very old New Home Treadle and I don't think I can
bear to part with them. As a matter of fact, as I was perusing ebay to
get an idea of prices, I saw one or two I would have liked to bid on.

Forget the embroidery machine then. Your heart is with the oldies!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk