Ping: Men

Old February 25th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Ping: Men

Where was I going with this? Being a crazy old lady does have its
challenges.
Ah. I remember. We're discussing what colors to choose if making a
quilt as a surprise gift for a friend. My first thought was that I never
met a man who didn't really love blue. Is that still true or is there one
amongst us who absolutely loathes blue? Anyone?
Next, I wonder if you made a quilt for someone without asking their
choice, would you choose colors they wear? I think maybe not. What do you
suggest? Polly

Old February 25th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 25, 5:34*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
* * Where was I going with this? * Being a crazy old lady does have its
challenges.
* * Ah. *I remember. *We're discussing what colors to choose if making a
quilt as a surprise gift for a friend. *My first thought was that I never
met a man who didn't really love blue. *Is that still true or is there one
amongst us who absolutely loathes blue? *Anyone?
* * Next, I wonder if you made a quilt for someone without asking their
choice, would you choose colors they wear? *I think maybe not. *What do you
suggest? *Polly

I like blues also, but I think that men often like earth tones a lot.
Autumn colors, browns, tans, that sort of thing. Probably not a lot
of bright flashy colors, with the exception being, if your friend is
Kaffee Fassett.
John
Old February 25th 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Feb 25, 4:34*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
* * Where was I going with this? * Being a crazy old lady does have its
challenges.
* * Ah. *I remember. *We're discussing what colors to choose if making a
quilt as a surprise gift for a friend. *My first thought was that I never
met a man who didn't really love blue. *Is that still true or is there one
amongst us who absolutely loathes blue? *Anyone?
* * Next, I wonder if you made a quilt for someone without asking their
choice, would you choose colors they wear? *I think maybe not. *What do you
suggest? *Polly

I don't think you could go wrong with blues.
Does he have a favorite sports team? Maybe *their* colors?
I've seen lots crimson n cream for U of Okla. fans. They're gorgeous
quilts.

Sherry
Old February 25th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default Men

I'd be careful with the 'colors they wear'. Most men I know dislike
shopping in the extreme and their women dress them. They may not have had
too much influence in their clothing/color choices. I have asked a few men
over the years and the autumn colors seem to be okay with most- altho I
would avoid any but the quietest oranges.

JMO

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 26th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:34:37 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:

Where was I going with this? Being a crazy old lady does have its
challenges.
Ah. I remember. We're discussing what colors to choose if making a
quilt as a surprise gift for a friend. My first thought was that I
never met a man who didn't really love blue. Is that still true or is
there one amongst us who absolutely loathes blue? Anyone?
Next, I wonder if you made a quilt for someone without asking their
choice, would you choose colors they wear? I think maybe not. What do
you suggest? Polly

Men, women, it doesn't matter, if you think you nailed it you will find
you were wrong. Children are worse, you pick their favorite colors, and
next week that changes.

You have two choices a I see it.
You can try to coordinate with their bedroom or house, or you can think
about what they like to do and make a wild guess.

A woodworker? pick "tree tones"
Vacations at the beach every year without fail? sea and sky colors.
A hunter? what colors are the woods where they hunt?
Computer junkie? What are the color schemes of their desktop or OS?
Motorhead? how have they decked out their baby?

You might not hit on favorites, you might clash with their drapes, but
you will probably land squarely in their comfort zone that way.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old February 26th 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Their favorite colors could depend partly on whether they are or are not
color blind. Both of my sons are color blind. They both like blue because
they know what it is! My youngest son's favorite color when he was a kid
was yellow, again because he knew what it was.

My oldest had a terrible time learning his colors - when I would tell him
green like the grass, that meant nothing to him. He was in the third grade
when we discovered he was colorblind & that was because the youngest had to
go for an eye exam and the opthamologist discovered his color blindness
during the exam. I went home, got out the encyclopedia that had the color
blindness tests in them to find out that the oldest was also color blind.

Donna in SW Idaho

signature database 4896 (20100225) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4896 (20100225) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old February 26th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

then wouldnt the texture on the fabric and contrast be more important than
what colour was used?
j.

"Donna in Idaho" wrote ...

Old February 26th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SingerMom

* * Ah. *I remember. *We're discussing what colors to choose if making a
quilt as a surprise gift for a friend. *My first thought was that I never
met a man who didn't really love blue. *Is that still true or is there one
amongst us who absolutely loathes blue? *Anyone?

I asked my DH, and he said red and chocolate brown. Hmmmm......sounds
like info I should file away for future reference myself!

Frances (still a newlywed at 4 months)
Old February 26th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Polly Esther wrote:

Where was I going with this? Being a crazy old lady does have its
challenges.
Ah. I remember. We're discussing what colors to choose if making a
quilt as a surprise gift for a friend. My first thought was that I
never met a man who didn't really love blue. Is that still true or is
there one amongst us who absolutely loathes blue? Anyone?
Next, I wonder if you made a quilt for someone without asking their
choice, would you choose colors they wear? I think maybe not. What do
you suggest? Polly

Well, I'm not a man but I absolutely loathe most blue colours,
especially baby blue or sky blue! Things like teal blue or turquoise
blue are OK because they have so much green to them; navy is almost
black so that's OK, too. Denim is sort of a neutral "un-blue" to me and
since I wear jeans a lot they are also OK. When I met DH he always said
his favourite colour was blue, of course. Now he says it is OK but her
really prefers greens & purples and wears those colors, too :-).
As for making someone a quilt in colors they wear, I personally
would go that route if I had no other info to go on. I should imagine
that most people wear colors they prefer so they would like a quilt made
from those colors. Ornery tonight, aren't I :-))). CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old February 26th 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

On Feb 25, 9:06*pm, Tia Mary wrote:
Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

This a good thread. I'd go by the color of his car. Anyone who forks
out a gazillion dollars for a new car makes sure they get the color
they like! Donna