Speaking of EQ5

Old July 13th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
lynne in toronto

Default Speaking of EQ5

Who has it? How is it? (apart from fabric calculations)

I bought it, and Block Base, a few versions back and found it not
intuitive and hard to use. In fact I really didn't like it at all.
Has it improved?

Trying to figure out if it's worth buying again.

Thanks,

Lynne in Toronto
Queen of the Cowboys
Old July 13th 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
heidi (was rabbit2b)

Lynne, I did have 5 and now have 6. Was away from it for a few years
and, like you, didn't find it at all intuitive. Took the basic class
online at Quilt University and made a huge and useful start. I do plan
on taking the following classes there at some time, but am able to put
the software now to good use.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old July 13th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jul 12, 7:24*pm, lynne in toronto wrote:
Who has it? *How is it? (apart from fabric calculations)

I bought it, and Block Base, a few versions back and found it not
intuitive and hard to use. In fact I really didn't like it at all.
Has it improved?

Trying to figure out if it's worth buying again.

Thanks,

Lynne in Toronto
Queen of the Cowboys

Lynne,

I can't speak for ver. 5, but I design on EQ6. I agree that it was
not terribly intuitive in the beginning, but it was still light years
ahead of trying to design on Powerpoint and/or Excel. To it's credit,
there are over 30 how-to videos available right from the main menu
bar, message boards for tech support and design issues on their
website that are excellent for most users, and a third-party book or
two that (I've heard) are very good. Many LQSs have courses on using
EQ that will get you up to speed all the quicker (though I found I've
become proficient enough on my own without one.)

Like a lot of "new" things, I think it's just a learning curve issue.
Once I got past that, I began to amaze myself with what I could do
with it. It's not perfect, but what is? They seem to be open to
customer dialog and suggestions. I still think it's a great tool and
was definitely worth the effort to learn.

I understand there are competing products available, but I know
nothing about them either way.

Doc
Old July 13th 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Hi Lynne, I upgraded to EQ6 shortly after I had bought EQ5 so I didn't
really play with #5 too much! I find that I mostly use the program to
import my own fabrics to 'view' possible quilt projects......I like to
think that I will play more with the possibilities offered with the
program. One day, I might even design a quilt and then make it - so
far, it has helped me show design ideas to customers for their table
settings, etc. before cutting any fabric - that alone has paid for the
program! I am waiting for Block Base which I ordered a couple of
weeks ago from an lqs in BC and I also have Kansas City Blocks and
M.M.Stars and Sets to add to the fun.
I'd suggest that you subscribe to the EQ newsletter which gives lots
of info and links to varied departments plus the monthly fabric
libraries, etc.
Nice to have you back, jennellh

Old July 13th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

I just got EQ5 and pretty much have the same view. I don't have days or
weeks to learn how to use it. But this is the first time I've ever
touched anything like that so it might just be me.
Take Care
Joanna

Old July 13th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

I've had EQ since version 4. EQ6 is great - they corrected most of the
fabric calculation errors and added some drawing tools, etc. You really
need to do the step-by-step lessons to start.

--
Susan
quilting as usual......

http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston

Old July 13th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

I have both EQ5 and 6. Love them. Guess I am strange because after
going through some of the basic beginning tutorial much of it does
seem to be fairly intuitive. Or perhaps it is just learning to play
with the program.
The more you play the easier it gets.
I also have Blockbase, Dear Jane, Quilted Diamonds (both 1 and 2),
Karen Stone, AnglePlay, and the 3 applique collections which are
linked to EQ. VBG Don't use all the features, yet. But do find it
very useful.
I am even beginning to use the "Export" feature to put block/quilt
diagrams into Word Perfect docs. G

EQ6 has a lot of improvements over 5, but there are also some
limitations. I agree with Doc, check out the EQ Forum on Planet
Patchwork to get some answers. Check the features and such in the EQ6
info, and try to find someone that has the program and will let you
play a bit. G

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old July 13th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
heidi (was rabbit2b)

Oops. Forgot to mention that my single biggest use for it is trying
color combinations and placements. It's worth it for that alone. (And
that I've been doing for a long time--I think my first EQ fabric
tryout is still in my 2004 webshots album!

Old July 13th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

lynne in toronto wrote:
Who has it? How is it? (apart from fabric calculations)

I bought it, and Block Base, a few versions back and found it not
intuitive and hard to use. In fact I really didn't like it at all.
Has it improved?

Trying to figure out if it's worth buying again.

Thanks,

Lynne in Toronto
Queen of the Cowboys

Hi Lynne,

I understand your comment about EQ (version 5 in my case) not being
intuitive to use. However, through scrupulous reading of the book and
asking for help here on RTCQ, I've used it to design several quilts,
which are all in various stages of progress. Really helps me to
"visualize" my ideas.

So I guess, it's usefulness depends on how much effort you want to put
into learning the program and whether it fulfills some quilting need
that you can't do any other way.

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada, USA
Old July 13th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I QuiltPro instead of EQ, but that is my biggest use for QuiltPro, too.
QuiltPro's yardages aren't always real accurate either. I usually
re-calculate to verify.

Julia in Mn

heidi (was rabbit2b) wrote:
Oops. Forgot to mention that my single biggest use for it is trying
color combinations and placements. It's worth it for that alone. (And
that I've been doing for a long time--I think my first EQ fabric
tryout is still in my 2004 webshots album!

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

On Jul 12, 7:24 pm, lynne in toronto wrote:
Who has it? How is it? (apart from fabric calculations)

I bought it, and Block Base, a few versions back and found it not
intuitive and hard to use. In fact I really didn't like it at all.
Has it improved?

Trying to figure out if it's worth buying again.

Thanks,

Lynne in Toronto
Queen of the Cowboys

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default

Speaking of books..... Pati C. Quilting 1 October 22nd 08 06:47 PM
speaking of moms.... CNYstitcher Quilting 41 May 22nd 05 04:57 AM
Ot speaking of presents Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 3 April 15th 05 02:58 PM
speaking of Swaro..... katieW. Beads 1 February 21st 05 06:24 PM
OT speaking of ICE Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 1 December 23rd 03 04:35 PM