Some revisionist ideas

Old February 18th 09, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Some revisionist ideas

After completing one and starting another of the same type of quilts,
using solid colors for the fabric, I have come to the conclusion that
I like solids. Or blenders, if not solids. The new quilt I am doing
for my wife is a similar size and pattern,(9 patch) but in solid
colors of Burgundy sashing and Dusty rose and light pink for the
patch. I know you are supposed to spend as much time agonizing about
which pattern of fabric, and color, to choose when designing a Quilt,
but I am going to go out on a limb here and make a heretical
statement. I Like Solids. There I have said it and I feel so much
better. There is a clean, modern nature to the use of solids that
appeals to me when the colors are combined with a traditional pattern
that I find very satisfying. Maybe I have been living among the Amish
too long, and become infected by their color sense, but I do like
solids. Yes, I also like patterned fabric and use it often, but there
is a bit of apparent prejudice about using only solids in a quilt. as
if you aren't a really serious quilter, or something. Bunk. Solids are
fine and lend their own charm to a design. I don't think you need
patterns to make a quilt look good. Nor do I think that you need a
patterned fabric if you don't want to. I feel like I have just waved a
red flag in front of the bull. But at least it is a solid colored red
flag, and not one with a pattern. Now that would truly enrage the
bull. This is just my little rant in support of my choices, and you
may or may not agree. But there you go.
Stepping back and waiting for the bricks to come a-flying,

John
Old February 18th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
***Debbie***

No bricks coming from here. I like solids too. And I like prints. How
I use them depends on what I want to say and how I want to say it.
-Debbie

John wrote in news:b12e9499-a3ec-4807-840a-
:

Old February 18th 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Let me get this clear.......you like solids??? Yes? ;-)

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old February 18th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

John wrote:
After completing one and starting another of the same type of quilts,
using solid colors for the fabric, I have come to the conclusion that
I like solids. Or blenders, if not solids.

Um... Me too:
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co....ry/elfront.jpg
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 18th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle[_2_]

Maybe it has to do with whether you're 'left brained' or 'right brained'.
Most, not all, men are 'left brained', very ordered, logical to a fault, in
their thinking; most, not all, women are 'right brained', more artistic,
creative, in their thinking. I like solids too, and I'm 'left brained'.
To test which you are, just fold your hands together with the fingers
inter-laced; if your left thumb is on top, you're 'left brained'; if your
right thumb is on top, you're 'right brained'.
It's just my own theory, and may not hold water.

Michelle

Old February 18th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Not a red flag to me, John. I, too, like solids and tone on tones more
than anything else. So, no bricks from here - too far to fling them
anyway!
..
In message
,
John writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 18th 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_6_]

You're definitely not alone, John. I find myself selecting a focus fabric (a
print of some kind) and then selecting all tone-on-tones/marbles, etc. to go
with it. I don't think I've ever made anything totally from solids (or looks
like solids), but I can see it happening!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old February 18th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
John wrote:

[...]

Why would we throw bricks, John? First of all, everyone is entitled to
an opinion and to preferences. Second, the reason the fabric companies
make solids and blenders is that people do like them. G Personally, I
used a lot of solids when I first began quilting, but now I prefer the
blenders -- though that doesn't mean that I don't like solids. If I had
to pick among solids, blenders and prints, I'd pick them all.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old February 19th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

John, I agree with you totally. I don't make a lot of "traditional"
quilts except for the children's quilts I make for charity. I tend
more and more to work on art quilts. And I'll tell you something --
more and more of my stash is becoming solid or nearly solid. If I want
more motion I make it with thread. Yes, way too often I am totally
seduced into buying some wildly colorful and adorable print. And there
it goes into my stash and there it typically stays until I give up all
hope of using it for myself and put it into a give away quilt.

Ok, that's all. I agree with John in good part. Although I love the
effects those of you who are "real" quilters get with the designs and
colors and patterns. I really have a hard time doing it. My baby
quilts are usually made simply and easily -- a square of kid's fabric
is set on point in the middle of a foundation. Then strips of pretty
fabric are flip and sewn around the block until it's finished. Pretty,
fun to look at, easy to do.

(Not really expecting bricks)
Sunny
Old February 19th 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

For years before we retired, I collected solids. After only one quilt
limited to solids, I gave them to DDIL to line the purses she loves to make.
In a similar vein, one night at the gallery, our guest instructor had us
paint a landscape using only one color. They were lovely. Mine sold for a
hefty price - but I don't ever want to be that restricted again.
Give me prints. Stripes, giraffe spots, polka dots, sunlit roses,
Monarch butterflies and purple swirls. Even when an appliqué calls for
solid black, I have to have mine with a fine dusting of confetti.
Solids?
ZZZZzzzzzzz.
Polly

Rug Ideas hesira Yarn 12 August 6th 07 05:18 PM
Ideas? teleflora Quilting 17 July 26th 06 02:10 PM
Need Ideas Missie_M Quilting 13 July 15th 06 04:57 PM
I need some ideas Susan Carey Yarn 10 March 23rd 05 01:28 PM
ideas please.... Kellie J. Berger Quilting 4 November 20th 03 08:49 PM