How to quilt a Lone Star?

Old January 25th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

Default How to quilt a Lone Star?

Over the weekend at my American Sewing Guild's winter sewing retreat, I
finished a Lone Star wallhanging. You can see it in my works in progress
album.

http://gallery.me.com/mwoz2#gallery

I'm hoping to get it pin pasted so I can quilt it at the Washington Quilt
Guild's retreat at the end of February. I'd planned to maybe do something
swirly or feathery in the white areas. But someone at the retreat said I
should do something with more straight lines.

Any opinions? How should I quilt this?

Maureen

Old January 25th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G. in CA

Have you done a search on Webshots for Lone Star quilts? You will get many,
many great ideas for quilting!!! I think feathers in the white areas would
look wonderful. Perhaps some continuous curves in the star part. Are you
quilting this on your sewing machine?

~~~~~~~
Laurie G. in CA
http://www.finishingtouchesquilts.com
http://community.webshots.com/user/lagrant7
~~~~~~~

lobal.net...

Old January 25th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

On Jan 25, 3:17*pm, Maureen Wozniak wrote:
In my opinion (G) swirly and or feathers would be wonderful in the
white areas. With so many straight lines in the piecing, some curvy
quilting will help balance the whole thing.
Lovely quilt.

Pati, in Phx

Old January 25th 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article l.net,
Maureen Wozniak wrote:

Over the weekend at my American Sewing Guild's winter sewing retreat, I
finished a Lone Star wallhanging. You can see it in my works in progress
album.

http://gallery.me.com/mwoz2#gallery

I'm hoping to get it pin pasted so I can quilt it at the Washington Quilt
Guild's retreat at the end of February. I'd planned to maybe do something
swirly or feathery in the white areas. But someone at the retreat said I
should do something with more straight lines.

Any opinions? How should I quilt this?

Maureen

Maureen, I like your idea of the swirly, feathery motifs. With so many
straight lines in the Lone Star, a bit of variety and contrast in the
quilting is a great idea. BTW, that Lone Star is just gorgeous! I
also like your teapot quilt; I have one made from the same patterns. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old January 25th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
***Debbie***

Hi
I love your color choices! I agree with your decision to do
something
swirly or feathery in the larger areas rather than straight
lines.

The ones I've made I quilted following the diamond shapes in
the center
and then curvy or feather shapes in the larger areas. I was
very happy
with that balance.

-Debbie

Maureen Wozniak wrote in
lobal.net:

Old January 26th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
anthony in Clearwater

Ditch quilt the diamonds of the star, then quilt curves inside the
4-sides of the diamonds. Quilt feathered wreaths in the squares and
half wreaths in the triangles. Stipple the space around and inside the
wreath. Stitch in the ditch around the border and add a nice cable
inside the border, stippling around the cable. Bind with a the border
fabric .

Easy for me to say, huh? Did you say, "end of February?" Arrrrrgh!

anthony, exhausted in Clearwater just thinking about this project.

Maureen Wozniak wrote:
Over the weekend at my American Sewing Guild's winter sewing retreat, I
finished a Lone Star wallhanging. You can see it in my works in progress
album.

http://gallery.me.com/mwoz2#gallery

I'm hoping to get it pin pasted so I can quilt it at the Washington Quilt
Guild's retreat at the end of February. I'd planned to maybe do something
swirly or feathery in the white areas. But someone at the retreat said I
should do something with more straight lines.

Any opinions? How should I quilt this?

Maureen

--

Regards,
anthony
Old January 26th 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 16:17:45 -0600, Maureen Wozniak
wrote:

Over the weekend at my American Sewing Guild's winter sewing retreat, I
finished a Lone Star wallhanging. You can see it in my works in progress
album.

http://gallery.me.com/mwoz2#gallery

I'm hoping to get it pin pasted so I can quilt it at the Washington Quilt
Guild's retreat at the end of February. I'd planned to maybe do something
swirly or feathery in the white areas. But someone at the retreat said I
should do something with more straight lines.

Any opinions? How should I quilt this?

Feathers have been used on star quilts like that for a long time. I
have seen (or seen pictures of) a good many, both very old and very
new, with feathers in the background.
If you want a happy combination, do feather wreaths and fill with
simple grids offsetting the grids from the direction of the lines in
the star. That has both curves and straight lines, is very traditional
for large star quilts, and looks very well indeed.
All straight lines in such a quilt seem to me to be tiring on the eye,
and de-emphasizing of the overall pattern.

NightMist
draw a picture
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old January 26th 09, 11:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

I would do something different in the centre of the star rather than In
the Ditch. Not necessarily anything complicated but SitD in the centre
can look uneven as you cross the centre point. Something loopy/curvey?

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old January 26th 09, 01:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

What wonderful suggestions. I'm eager to see that beautiful star when
you've finished. It is a treasure. Polly

Old January 26th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Lovely color choice! The classic for Lone Star is a feather wreath in
each square. IMO, a feathered heart would look nice in the triangles.
You have enough straight lines if you outline all the diamonds in the
star.
Roberta in D

wrote:

Over the weekend at my American Sewing Guild's winter sewing retreat, I
finished a Lone Star wallhanging. You can see it in my works in progress
album.

http://gallery.me.com/mwoz2#gallery

I'm hoping to get it pin pasted so I can quilt it at the Washington Quilt
Guild's retreat at the end of February. I'd planned to maybe do something
swirly or feathery in the white areas. But someone at the retreat said I
should do something with more straight lines.

Any opinions? How should I quilt this?

Maureen

Help needed Lone Star Quilt Dorothy Quilting 3 April 19th 07 03:41 AM
Lone Star is DONE!!!! JPgirl Quilting 35 September 29th 06 10:12 PM
Lone Star.... Kellie J. Berger Quilting 11 August 31st 04 02:34 PM
The Lone Star TOP is done! MerryStahel Quilting 3 September 12th 03 05:49 PM
RE; Lone Star using HST CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 0 July 24th 03 12:50 PM