Welcome Vaecordia

Old March 9th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Welcome Vaecordia

So tell us more about yourself....

Cheryl

Old March 9th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Vaecordia

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

So tell us more about yourself....

Cheryl

Hi all! And thanks for the welcome. From what I have seen this has to
be ond of the friendliest newsgroups around. A rare thing these days.

Lets see.. what can I say...

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm an intermittently obsessive
stitcher. Cross stitch mostly. Although I do a bit of sewing when the
mood hits. As much as my mother would dearly love it, I just don't have
the interest in knitting or crochet at all. Used to do a lot of glass
paint pieces too, but my wrist can't take the outlining anymore.

I'm east coast Canadian, a Newfie Girl. One significant other, one
gigantic orange cat, and two black moor fishies. Work in health education.

Just to fill me in, perhaps everyone else could re-introduce themselves?

thanks,
Vae.

Old March 9th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

So tell us more about yourself....

Cheryl

Yea -- especially what flavour of QI do you have -- dog, cat, bird,
ferret, etc.? Over at RCTQ, a QI is a quilt inspector. Here at RCTN, I
like to think of them as QUALITY Inspectors -- LOL. CiaoMeoew ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Old March 9th 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/9/10 11:20 AM, "Vaecordia" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Glad to have you. I have some neighbors that are Newfies, always part of
the hockey chat locally (I'm in a western DC suburb near Dulles Airport).

We'll be happy to see someone who actually does and finishes their big
projects. Personally, I'm a bit of a flitter about - tend to have multiple
projects going actively - a couple on 32 ct or higher, at least 1 on 28 ct,
and a couple of canvas work pieces (18 ct) , and similarly something on
Congress cloth - 24 ct.

I do all kinds of counted thread, and some crewel, - not too much that is
just XS, but some - like the neverending Lynne Nicoletti "Poseidon" - which
Donna did a few years ago, I started, and sadly rotated to the back of
"semi-active" - though it comes out to play for one of my stitching groups.
Tend to do things with multiple stitches, so samplers, charted canvaswork,
some crewel. I also do garment sewing, and quilting - so plenty of stuff to
rotate around.

Real life - am working on needlework teaching - so been deep into designing
teaching pieces this year, and have a part-time job at a Caribou coffee
(kind of like a Starbucks). In the other part of real-life - was a research
engineer/scientist for a long time (grad school and beyond), and still do
some consulting - contemplating going back to a big-girl job, and had been
volunteer medic. Have husband (who refs a lot of hockey - we met
playing..13 years ago) and English Springer Spaniel - Puckster - who
inspects all needlework and quilts.... Also, note that I babble upon
occasion, LOL, and have been put in place for such by some others who shall
remain nameless.......

Ellice - glad the sun is shining, though it's colder than it looks

Old March 9th 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/9/10 11:32 AM, "Tia Mary" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

So tell us more about yourself....

Cheryl

Yea -- especially what flavour of QI do you have -- dog, cat, bird,
ferret, etc.? Over at RCTQ, a QI is a quilt inspector. Here at RCTN, I
like to think of them as QUALITY Inspectors -- LOL. CiaoMeoew ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

LOL - I'm sure that Puckster appreciates that distinction - as his big nose
and very long, furry ears wend their way regularly into my lap for a
close-up look at what's on the lap stand. I cannot tell you how many, many
long white fur strands I have pulled out of my Quaker sampler - on darkish
green 32 ct - and hate thinking about those coming out of Baroque on the
black canvas!

Ellice

Old March 9th 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

Default introducing ourselves to Vaecordia and Marian Welcome Vaecordia

Welcome back, Marian!

My introduction:
I'm in Baltimore, Maryland -- snow capitol of the US this winter, LOL!
And spring is finally springing here - the snow recedes daily.

As mentioned, I do many projects simultaneously (well, not literally),
in cross stitch, crochet, Hardanger, sewing. Tried canvaswork and it was
okay, but not pleasing enough for me to put aside the others. The fact
that each day is limited to 24 hours is an eternal challenge to me.

I'm jealous, Vaecordia - our big orange cat passed away in December, and
DH has forbidden another kitty - and DD and I are humoring him, at least
for the time being. vbg But we miss our dear Taz! He was a feral kitty
whom we adopted during the blizzard of 2003 - the last truly awful
winter we had.

DH and I are editors of Dirty Linen - a magazine of folk and world
music. We cover a lot of Canadian music. Two grown and off on their own
kids, one remaining at home (college student). I love to read and also
sing. DD went to an arts high school and sang beautifully, and when she
was no longer taking voice lessons I decided it was MY turn!! So I
signed up with her teacher two years ago, and it's finally now starting
to really click.

Next?

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old March 9th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Mar 9, 1:01�pm, Susan Hartman wrote:
Next?

Hello from Pittsburgh. While not the snow "capitol" we came
close this year. The snow is receeding here too but we're
awaiting what is expected to be lots of flooding. We keep
hoping for those below freezing nights and very little rain.

I stick mostly to counted cross stitch but in the past have
done plain embroidery (in Girl Scouts), latch hook rugs,
crewel and last year I did my first counted canvas work.
A SAL with folks from RCTN. I think I've been doing
xs about 30 years but got serious about it again about
6 years ago. Lots of "unfinished" finishes in the box.

I'm currently working on a factal "bookmark" but given
as it's a lot of solid stiching I"ll probably pick up a
smaller project in the next few days for a break.

I'm a retired computer programmer who made my way
to Texas and SoCal and returned to my roots in Pittsburgh
about 7 1/2 years ago. All the better to root for my
Penguins.

Nancy
Old March 9th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Tia Mary" wrote
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

So tell us more about yourself....

Cheryl

Yea -- especially what flavour of QI do you have -- dog, cat, bird,
ferret, etc.? Over at RCTQ, a QI is a quilt inspector. Here at RCTN, I
like to think of them as QUALITY Inspectors -- LOL. CiaoMeoew ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

Mine are actually wholesale fibre suppliers. Especially Sparky the
Wonderdog.

Dawne

Old March 9th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Vaecordia wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Excellent - lots of us 'northern' folks here.

MargW
(in Picton, Ontario)
Old March 9th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Tia Mary here in Magnoliaville (aka Cumming, GA) about 50 miles north
of the airport in the almost foothills of the Appalachian Mtns. I do
most crafts that require some sort of needle and fiber. I'll do just
about any type of needlework and am currently taking knitting classes.
I am a professional seamstress and do a bit of model stitching now and
again.
Married for a bazillion years, one DD who had given me one SMDGD, two
GranDogs and we gave her Cheeto the kitten from hell. DH and I have
three cats who don't get along, a huge yard and I hate gardening, we
love to travel and are just waiting until he retires and we move back to
Lizard Land (aka Arizona) so that we can get another doggie.
That's enough for now. Hard to believe isn't it?!?!? CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^