Fabric from the thrift store

Old August 30th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

Default Fabric from the thrift store

My SO and I were driving through town yesterday and saw that the thrift
store annexed to the local Ecumenical Ministries was selling its clothing
inventory for $1 per article of clothing. My SO pointed it out to me, and a
couple of blocks later, I said, "Turn around."

I got a couple dozen linen and cotton dresses for $1 per dress -- up to two
yards each. I guess I'll be spending my evenings snipping out trim,
armholes, darts, etc., to get to the broad expanses of sturdy fabric, but
it's easy, mindless labor. I love the idea of recycling these old (mostly
ugly) clothes, and the reward in terms of fabric and variety of colors (some
of it is embroidered or otherwise textured!) is quite gratifying. I've am
enjoying organizing the colors and weights and planning designs. I have
already decided on two projects for starters, and am cutting into all this
cheap fabric with wild abandon.

I think I have officially gone over the edge. I've become a fabric
scavenger, and last night I dreamed about quilting.

Edna Pearl

Old August 30th 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Save the buttons and zippers too. You never know. Polly

"Edna Pearl" wrote My SO and I were driving through town yesterday and saw

Old August 30th 09, 05:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

nice job, Edna.
soon your SO will be trained to just stop at every thrift shop and quilt
store just in case there is some treasure with your name on it. ya wont even
have to ask, they just go into auto-pilot mode.
reminds me of a shop i read about called 'scream til he stops'.
screaming can get so tedious tho, so training them from the get/go is the
best way to do it.

buttons and zippers can be used in various quilted bags/totes etc.
nothing need go in the trash when you're a recycling quilter.
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote ...

Old August 30th 09, 06:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 29, 9:42*pm, "Edna Pearl"
wrote:
[...]

Hey, I think that's great. Recycling at its greatest. Taking thrift
shop clothing
which may or may not even be in style, or ever be purchased...and
creating
a beautiful heirloom quilt.
Funny thing, the quilts I seem to love best are the ones made from
scraps. Quilting
is a wonderful hobby that way; you can put as much $$$ into it as you
*choose* to.
I tend to be a dreadful fabric snob, and an even bigger thread snob.
But I've turned
out some pretty decent quilts on the cheap. (and the way things are
looking around
here, I might have to perfect that art -- budget is getting tight!)
Most of my quilts are gifts anyway. They seem to be loved by the
receipient, no matter
whether it was $9 per yard fabric, or scraps given to me by friends.
It's still great fun to look at the quilts my grandmother made, and
tell the kids, "I had
a dress made from this, a pair of shorts made from that, this fabric
was from my
favorite pair of culottes, etc.etc.)
Sherry

Sherry
Old August 30th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Sounds like a crazy quilt is in your stars!
..
In message , Edna Pearl
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 30th 09, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Edna Pearl wrote:
[...]

Edna Pearl, my great grandmother would heartily approve! :-) All of
her quilts came from "leftover" fabric.

She made a comment once to someone in the family, "Anybody could make a
a pretty quilt if she went out and 'bought' fabric!"

LOL!

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada
Old August 30th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

LOL - Bruce and I were watching TV while I was ripping seams on a dress, and
I said, "I remind myself of my mother, saving all the buttons, when I don't
even make dresses. I draw the line at saving zippers like she did, though."

Then I saw a show yesterday on sewing zippers into throw pillows, which I do
make. I went back a retrieved the zippers I had left in the trash.

Edna Pearl

Old August 30th 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I'd be a bit careful with reusing zippers. Make sure the zipper tape is
still strong and the teeth don't pull apart when they're not supposed
to. I wouldn't use a recycled zipper in anything that is going to get a
lot of use and/or a lot of stress. It's too much work to replace a
zipper to take the chance, IMO

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default
-----------

Old August 30th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
***Debbie***

Hi
My MIL always made her quilts from the best part of used clothes and
they were beautiful in a way that can't easily be achieved with a "new
fabric" pallet. Have fun!
-***Debbie***

"Edna Pearl" wrote in
:

Old August 30th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I have two bottles of buttons.
One was from a good friend's grandmother who passed in 1980. She saved
the bottons from all her old clothing, so there is quite an
interesting mix.
The second one is from my mother. I got her sewing box when she
passed. The collection also had my father's US Navy dress uniform
buttons in it [he survived Pearl Harbor aboard the US Enterprise].

Someday I'm thinking to do a piece that will look like a flower basket
or garden, using yo-yos that are anchored in the center with my
mother's buttons. It will be called "In My Mother's Garden".

Ginger in CA

On Aug 29, 8:16*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

Edna Pearl- Hide quoted text -

A thrift store treasure Pat in Virginia Quilting 4 September 10th 07 03:47 PM
Thrift store quilt find M Rimmer Quilting 9 November 16th 06 03:26 PM
AD: Fabric Store JanaFab Quilting 3 May 1st 06 02:52 AM
Fabric Store name Tricia Quilting 14 September 26th 05 06:01 AM
Fabric store in PDX BEI Design Sewing 0 April 23rd 04 05:09 AM