Survey time.... please add yours to the list...

Old August 8th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
heidi (was rabbit2b)

Default Survey continues.... bloopers, blunders and winners

Oops. How could I forget the bloopers?? I'm in the middle of one that
just seems to keep compounding itself! I tried to work around cutting
from various sizes of large scraps (8x13 - 14x13) rather than yardage
and outsmarted myself. It's been a pain, because there was no way to
strip piece blocks that should have been easy, and I ended up cutting
lots more little pieces and a whole mess the wrong size. Piecing them
seems endless...

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old August 8th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Default Survey time.... please add yours to the list...

Kate in MI wrote:
What 3 quilting tools can you NOT live without (excluding your machine):

Be specific (not needles / pins unless they are SPECIFIC needles/pins --
you get the idea)

for me, it is:

1) a 45mm rotary cutter
2) my 4" x 14" ruler
3) my 8 1/2" x 24" ruler

Okay -- your turn!

For me it is:

1.) Right angle ruler (kind of a drafting tool)
2.) My EQ5 program
3.) Black and Decker "Classic" iron

Michelle in Nevada, USA
Old August 8th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Polly Esther wrote:
Our essentials seem pretty much the same. So. Let's wander off the
path a bit in this survey. What additions have you made to your
quilting setup that were not so good or a lovely asset?
Winner - I use our 'newlywed' kitchen table for a cutting table. DH
has put the battered old dear up on pvc so I don't have to stoop to
cut. On top is a 4 x 8 plywood sheet that was our firstborn's base for
his trains and steam engines.
Loser - my design board is covered in a pricey gridded flannel that
won't hold diddly without pins. I need the grid but cheap old poly
terry held everything much better.
Blooper - my SM quilting is heavy-handed. I've had to put tomato
paste cans beneath the SM's table to keep me from popping off the
table's support pins. That works great. Unless, of course, the cans
eventually start seeping after a few years and make a real mess.
Anyone? Polly

Winners: dedicated sewing room with a linen closet to store my tubs of
fabric.

Loser: Using my cutting table to set my machines on when they really
need a table of their own with drop down so they can sit level with the
surface.

Blooper: starting way too many projects at once. At last count, I have
6 I'm actively working on and two UFO's.

Michelle in Nevada, USA
Old August 8th 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Nay, Michelle. Several projects going is not a blooper. I love to have at
least 3 in various stages so I can pick up whichever sort of stitching I'm
in the mood for.
Even better, this week I had a crib quilt basted and the BSR ready to
go. Quilting neighbor just could not resist. She had that one quilted
before I could blink. I really should keep a 'temptation' set up all the
time. . . just in case. Polly

"Michelle C." wrote, in part Blooper: starting way too many projects at

Old August 8th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
***Debbie***

Hi

Mine a
1) my favorite thimble
2) my tiny sissors
3) my quilting hoop

-***Debbie***

"Kate in MI" wrote in
:

Old August 8th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
***Debbie***

Winner- my own sewing room with a door that closes.
Loser- the huge store display case that I thought would be a good idea to
hold parts of my stash, only to find out I might have to get smaller in
order to move around my sewing room now.

-***Debbie***

"Polly Esther" wrote in
:

Old August 9th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

LOL! I really should have a neighbor like that! Can we put one on our
quilting wish list?

Michelle in Nevada, USA

Old August 10th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

1. Omni GRIP rulers of all dimensions.
2. Clover seam ripper with brown handle.
3. Olfa 45mm cutter with floral handle
(ALSO: Chocolate and Coffee ... while those are not tools, I want them handy
when I sew.)
PAT in VA/USA

Old August 10th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Joanna: Do you use those metal rulers with rotary cutter and mat?
PAT, Nosy in Virginia

"Joanna" wrote in message
1 rotary cutter & mat, can't use one without the other
2 my L shape metal ruler from the hardware store
3 my metal ruler the long one, it's slightly longer then a yard

Use all 3 all the time. In fact the only thing I think I need now is a
bigger L shaped metal ruler. Mine is 8" on one side 12" on the other side.
So next time I'm in the hardware store I'm going to look.
Joanna

Old August 10th 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default Pat.... Survey time.... please add yours to the list...

Yup, I sure do. In the beginning I would occasionally hit the ruler with
the rotary blade, very bad. Never broke one but it does wear the blade.
But I would say no more then cutting through leather or thick denim or
something. And given that I can get a 20 pack of blades pretty cheap now
a days I don't worry about it. I think though that was more of a
learning curve on the rotary cutter. Learning to keep your wrist at the
proper angel and such. And not using so much force that I was trying to
cut through the mat and table at the same time. Those rulers have helped
so much even if I had to replace the blade for every quilt I would still
consider it worth it. No way are you going to get me to part with them.
Take Care
joanna

"Joanna" wrote in message
1 rotary cutter & mat, can't use one without the other
2 my L shape metal ruler from the hardware store
3 my metal ruler the long one, it's slightly longer then a yard

Use all 3 all the time. In fact the only thing I think I need now is a
bigger L shaped metal ruler. Mine is 8" on one side 12" on the other side.
So next time I'm in the hardware store I'm going to look.
Joanna

Survey for a course I’m doing…please help! abbey in australia Quilting 27 March 14th 09 10:40 PM
FRIENDS YESTERDAY I MAKE $2,000BY TAKE SIMPLE ONLINE SURVEYS. YOUJUST NEED TO JOIN THEIR COMMUNITY AND THEY GIVES YOU PLENTY OF SURVEYS.YOU MAYCHOOSE BEST RATED SURVEY FROM THE LIST.EACH SURVEYRATE BEGINS WITH $200. THELINK IS BELOW [email protected] Needlework 0 March 29th 08 01:31 PM
FRIENDS YESTERDAY I MAKE $2,000BY TAKE SIMPLE ONLINE SURVEYS. YOUJUST NEED TO JOIN THEIR COMMUNITY AND THEY GIVES YOU PLENTY OF SURVEYS.YOU MAYCHOOSE BEST RATED SURVEY FROM THE LIST.EACH SURVEYRATE BEGINS WITH $200. THELINK IS BELOW [email protected] Quilting 0 March 29th 08 01:31 PM
OT-new survey Sharon Gates Quilting 21 February 9th 06 06:38 PM
survey ILENE McCOY Sewing 8 December 3rd 03 02:17 PM