Pesky 1/2 crosses

Old March 14th 04, 11:15 AM
Dannielle

Default Pesky 1/2 crosses

Ok, so tell me what you do - and if you have knowledge, what judges expect.

I have a piece that I am starting that has a lot of half crosses. Now, do I
make the half crosses go the same direction as the top leg of my full
crosses, or do I leave them the way the instructions suggest, which makes
them go the same way as the bottom leg of my full crosses?

I cannot decide which look I like better, but I know what I am leaning
towards....let's see if your thoughts are the same!

--
Dannielle

Old March 14th 04, 02:01 PM
Lucille

I would probably do them in either direction depending on how I want the
surrounding area to look.
Lucille

Old March 14th 04, 02:40 PM
Caryn

I have a piece that I am starting that has a lot of half crosses. Now, do I
make the half crosses go the same direction as the top leg of my full
crosses, or do I leave them the way the instructions suggest, which makes
them go the same way as the bottom leg of my full crosses?

Will their direction affect the overall look of the piece? Sometimes the 1/2
crosses flow the way the light or wind flows in a piece, so doing them the
other way will break up the flow.

I hope this makes sense! It's still before coffee! lol

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old March 14th 04, 04:44 PM
Rhayne

I always do them the direction of the bottom leg of my stitches, which is
////////////// unless the directions specifically call for otherwise or I
want a different effect.

Rhayne

---

Old March 14th 04, 04:52 PM
Darla

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:15:31 GMT, "Dannielle"
wrote:

I have a piece that I am starting that has a lot of half crosses. Now, do I
make the half crosses go the same direction as the top leg of my full
crosses, or do I leave them the way the instructions suggest, which makes
them go the same way as the bottom leg of my full crosses?

I make mine the same direction as my top leg, unless there's a
compelling reason to make them go the other way.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old March 14th 04, 06:05 PM
~Connie~

"Dannielle" wrote in message
I have a piece that I am starting that has a lot of half crosses. Now, do

make the half crosses go the same direction as the top leg of my full
crosses, or do I leave them the way the instructions suggest, which makes
them go the same way as the bottom leg of my full crosses?

I cannot decide which look I like better, but I know what I am leaning
towards....let's see if your thoughts are the same!

In my general experience so far, I have made the effort to keep half crosses
aligned with the top leg of my cross stitches.
I think when I first came across half crosses, I had the same concern. It
had happened as part of a cloud detail in TW's Castle Sampler. The clouds
had a wispy effect and I wanted to match the model. Luckily, matching the
model also followed suit with the top xs leg alignment. Years later, I can
now say, "Wheeew!"

~Connie~

Old March 14th 04, 08:33 PM
Alison

wrote:

Ok, so tell me what you do - and if you have knowledge, what judges expect.

I have a piece that I am starting that has a lot of half crosses. Now, do I
make the half crosses go the same direction as the top leg of my full
crosses, or do I leave them the way the instructions suggest, which makes
them go the same way as the bottom leg of my full crosses?

I cannot decide which look I like better, but I know what I am leaning
towards....let's see if your thoughts are the same!

Hi Dannielle - I follow the instructions. {articularly since I stitch
backwards to many designers (\ then /) Sometimes the designer does it
one way, sometimes another. It makes a difference in how the light
catches the threads.

Alison