Seattle and Stash Report

Old March 14th 04, 05:39 AM
Rachel Janzen

Default Seattle and Stash Report

So I've been home now for just over a week, and it's probably time to
report. So on the 26th of February we flew out of Saskatoon, just ahead
of a snow storm. We flew in Edmonton, where it was storming, at least
bad enough that my DB and SIL didn't meet us at the airport for our two
hour layover. So we had supper and our two hour layover turned into
3.5-4 hours long. First because our plane couldn't land in Edmonton, and
then because they wouldn't let us take off until they knew if we could
land in Calgary. In the end, it took 8 hours to get to Abbotsford (east
of Vancouver), which is better than the day and a half driving, but
since we only started flying at 6 in the evening after a full day of
work, packing, etc. it was very long. We had gone out for a wedding,
during which I spent most of my time hanging out with the bride's
sisters and BIL. One of which is my cross stitch buddy.

So on Sunday, I took off with my cross stitch buddy and her husband over
the border to Seattle. Monday morning, her husband, C went to work
leaving us the car. We wanted to go to Tacoma to the Glass Museum, but
it was closed on Mondays & Tuesdays. So we decided to go shopping and
since the only shopping worth doing is cross stitch shopping.... We
couldn't find driving instructions to the place in Seattle (university
district) we decided to hid out to Bellevue to Cross Stitch Corner and
Issaquah to Threadneedle Street. Well Cross Stitch Corner is closed on
Mondays so on to Issaquah. Threadneedle Street was open and we had a
great time there. I picked up a Miriabilia design and a John Clayton
International design. We stopped for lunch in Gilford (?) Village at
Sweet Expressions (?) I can't remember exactly. That was all for the
day. M had groceries to pick up and I had an Economics exam to study for.

The next day we decided to find the store in Seattle - the name of which
escapes me, but it was discussed here a few weeks ago because it was
closing down. We picked up a few things from the 50 cent bin. I was
slightly less than impressed with the patterns that had been bleached
out by being in the window. And then back to Bellevue to Corss Stitch
Corner. M was feeling quite proud of herself, since we took off that day
without a map and even headed into Bellevue from a different direction
than the previous day. We had a great time there too. I picked up
another of John Layton's International designs.

That was all we did for cross stitch shopping and the next two days we
did the sight seeing things. So to everyone who gave me advice before I
left - yes, I did go on the Underground Tour, see Pike Place and the
Fremont Bridge Troll. We also went to the Seattle Art Museum and did you
know that on the first Thursday of the month you can get in free?

We had a great time. I would study most mornings while M took care of
other things, like cleaning her house, writing her grandma and
researching cross stich supplies on the net. Then in the afternoon we
would go out and have our adventures. In the evenings, we would hang out
with her husband, watch TV and cross stitch. So yes, I would do it all
over again!

Rachel

Old March 14th 04, 05:44 PM
Jeanine3

Oooh Rachel, it's sounds like lots of fun! Why didn't you stop at Loving
Stitch in Surrey? Okay, a little out of the way on the road from
Abbotsford to Seattle but not so much. There is also a great Stitching
store in Bellingham, behind Bellis Fair called J&J's I believe and then
one called Lynda's Quilting & Needleart in Bellingham too. I haven't
been but people I know are raving about it. LOL - there's always next
time! Glad to hear you had a great time.
Jeanine in Canada

Old March 14th 04, 09:23 PM
Rachel Janzen

Jeanine3 wrote:
Oooh Rachel, it's sounds like lots of fun! Why didn't you stop at Loving
Stitch in Surrey? Okay, a little out of the way on the road from
Abbotsford to Seattle but not so much. There is also a great Stitching
store in Bellingham, behind Bellis Fair called J&J's I believe and then
one called Lynda's Quilting & Needleart in Bellingham too. I haven't
been but people I know are raving about it. LOL - there's always next
time! Glad to hear you had a great time.
Jeanine in Canada

Well, actually, Loving Stitch is where M orders a lot of stuff. And she
has stopped in at a store in Bellingham as well. She tends to be a
little sensitive about the treatment that she gets in cross stitch
stores, and she finds the attitude in one a little much and they hover
too much in the other. Don't ask me which is which. Like I said, she is
a little sensitive and most things that roll off my back irk her. Even
in the shops we were in, she nattered a little about stuff she noticed
about attitudes and treatment, that didn't even fizz me. Also,
Bellingham wasn't exactly convenient since when we went down to Seattle
it was Sunday evening, and when I came back up, I took the Quick Shuttle
that goes between Sea-Tac and Vancouver International.

Rachel

Old March 14th 04, 09:54 PM
Jeanine3

I know the feeling M has and can recognize her irks about both stores.
Unfortunately, we don't have a lot to choose from in these parts. I too
share her feelings about each one but what can you do? On a more upbeat
note, if you ever get over to the Island, Buttons & Needlework in
Victoria is a fabulous store with fabulous help and attitude - wish they
were closer, I'd go there exclusively. Sorry to see the shop in Seattle
go, I'd always been meaning to get down there to see it. I need to win
the lottery and open a shop of my own. We'd having classes and stitching
nights and everything in stock and all kinds of needlework supplies! Oh
yeah, and a teleporter so people could drop by from anywhere at anytime.
Sigh. I can dream can't I?
;-)
Jeanine in Canada