hammers

Old August 25th 08, 09:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C Ryman

Default hammers

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a raising hammer and cross peens for fold forming. There is
a raising hammer at Rio Grande, don't know if 14 oz. will be to heavy for a
middle aged woman. I've tried a welding slag hammer and it is to light and
narrow. Do you know of any other good sites in the US for a variety of
hammers? Also, I haven't seem much in the way of bronze sheet in my web
search.

TIA,
Connie R.

Old August 25th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 01:22:07 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "C Ryman"
wrote:

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a raising hammer and cross peens for fold forming. There is
a raising hammer at Rio Grande, don't know if 14 oz. will be to heavy for a
middle aged woman. I've tried a welding slag hammer and it is to light and
narrow. Do you know of any other good sites in the US for a variety of
hammers? Also, I haven't seem much in the way of bronze sheet in my web
search.

TIA,
Connie R.

Allcraft has always had an exceptional selection of good raising and forming
hammers.

Peter
Old August 26th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C Ryman

wrote:

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a raising hammer and cross peens for fold forming. There
is
a raising hammer at Rio Grande, don't know if 14 oz. will be to heavy for
middle aged woman. I've tried a welding slag hammer and it is to light
and
narrow. Do you know of any other good sites in the US for a variety of
hammers? Also, I haven't seem much in the way of bronze sheet in my web
search.

TIA,
Connie R.

Allcraft has always had an exceptional selection of good raising and
forming
hammers.

Peter

Thanks Peter,
I did a search but they do not seem to have a web site. I ended up with a
Google-ly
shopping mess.

CR

Old August 26th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:02:06 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "C Ryman"
wrote:

Allcraft has always had an exceptional selection of good raising and
forming
hammers.

Peter

Thanks Peter,
I did a search but they do not seem to have a web site. I ended up with a
Google-ly
shopping mess.

CR

They used to have a site, but apparently, it's no longer there. Never was a
great site anyway. Don't know why it's down now, but probably didn't bring them
much sales. However, the old way, the telephone works. And Tevel, the owner,
or someone else there, could give you good advice on which tools would be
appropriate for what you wish to do.
Allcraft Tool Supply 666 Pacific Street Brooklyn, NY 11217, (800) 645-7124

Peter
Old August 28th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Séimí mac Liam

"C Ryman" wrote in
:

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a raising hammer and cross peens for fold forming.
There is a raising hammer at Rio Grande, don't know if 14 oz. will be
to heavy for a middle aged woman. I've tried a welding slag hammer
and it is to light and narrow. Do you know of any other good sites in
the US for a variety of hammers? Also, I haven't seem much in the way
of bronze sheet in my web search.

TIA,
Connie R.

More hammers than you can shake a stick at:
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=2708
I especially like the look of these:
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...at=1101&page=1
#DetImage
mind the line wrap.

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve

Old August 29th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Michael[_3_]

Séimí mac Liam wrote:
"C Ryman" wrote in
:

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a raising hammer and cross peens for fold forming.
There is a raising hammer at Rio Grande, don't know if 14 oz. will be
to heavy for a middle aged woman. I've tried a welding slag hammer
and it is to light and narrow. Do you know of any other good sites in
the US for a variety of hammers? Also, I haven't seem much in the way
of bronze sheet in my web search.

TIA,
Connie R.

More hammers than you can shake a stick at:
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=2708
I especially like the look of these:
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...at=1101&page=1
#DetImage
mind the line wrap.

Rather than buy from Rio why not give these guys a try. They are
primarily a blacksmithing supply but there Peddinghaus hammers come in
ever flavor and color. http://www.centaurforge.com/products.asp?dept=189
Michael
Old September 2nd 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Séimí mac Liam wrote:
"C Ryman" wrote in
:

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a raising hammer and cross peens for fold forming.
There is a raising hammer at Rio Grande, don't know if 14 oz. will be
to heavy for a middle aged woman. I've tried a welding slag hammer
and it is to light and narrow. Do you know of any other good sites in
the US for a variety of hammers? Also, I haven't seem much in the way
of bronze sheet in my web search.

TIA,
Connie R.

More hammers than you can shake a stick at:
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=2708

Especially the Peddinghaus hammers are worth a look at.

I especially like the look of these:
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...at=1101&page=1
#DetImage

You may like the look of them, but they do not seem very useful for
forming metal. They may be too light weight.

mind the line wrap.

Use tinyurl.com!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 2nd 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Séimí mac Liam

Abrasha wrote in
:

You may like the look of them, but they do not seem very useful for
forming metal. They may be too light weight.

Doesn't that rather depend on the alloy and gauge?

Old September 2nd 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Edward Lay

The Peddiman 200 gram "locksmith" hammer
(http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...productid=6028)
is an excellent hammer for fold forming. A nice bonus is that the
locksmith hammers are about
half the cost of the other Peddiman hammers. If you intend to work
smaller than 1-2 inches, then
the 100 gram might be more appropriate. There is also a 300 gram
version which will be useful
for heavier work like a fan fold.

You will have to dress these hammers. They come fairly coarsely ground
(no doubt related to the
lower price). Basically, you'll need to knock the edges and corners off
of the striking
surfaces. If you have access to a belt sander, that is the quickest
way.

Finally, if you haven't done much fold forming, start with copper. It
will move far easier than
bronze.

ed

"Séimí mac Liam" wrote:

"C Ryman" wrote in
:

Old September 4th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Maren at google

Default OT: tinyurl, was: hammers

On Sep 1, 6:59 pm, Abrasha wrote:
S=E9im=ED mac Liam wrote:
"C Ryman" wrote in
:
I especially like the look of these:
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...cat=3D1101&pa=

ge=3D1
#DetImage

You may like the look of them, but they do not seem very useful for
forming metal. They may be too light weight.

mind the line wrap.

Use tinyurl.com!

In this day and age I tend not to go to hidden URLs.

??

Maren